Author Topic: Future Astronaut  (Read 1162 times)

Offline JVanste

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Future Astronaut
« on: 01/30/2011 12:55 AM »
My name is Jonathan VanSteenburg and I have Cerebral Palsy. My dream is to be astronaut because I believe that being in a weightless environment will be great for me. I have a Medtronic Baclofen pump to control my spasticity and I was wondering if this would keep me from going into outer space.

Online Chris Bergin

Re: Future Astronaut
« Reply #1 on: 01/30/2011 01:00 AM »
My name is Jonathan VanSteenburg and I have Cerebral Palsy. My dream is to be astronaut because I believe that being in a weightless environment will be great for me. I have a Medtronic Baclofen pump to control my spasticity and I was wondering if this would keep me from going into outer space.

Loving your ambition, welcome to the site's forum.

Personally don't know about the potential restrictions, but others might.

Offline kkattula

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Future Astronaut
« Reply #2 on: 01/30/2011 03:00 AM »
Apparently the pumps don't respond well to sustained low air pressure, can lead to increased flow rates. ISS maintains sea level pressure, but future vehicles and stations may not.  May just be a matter of adjusting the flow rate for the ambient conditions.

The pump would need to be tested for sustained micro-g too, but I suspect that wouldn't be a problem. They can obviously handle multiple orientations in a gravity field already. e.g. standing up & laying down.

Tags: