Author Topic: Roger Chaffee  (Read 1514 times)

Offline solar

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Roger Chaffee
« on: 01/20/2011 08:43 AM »
So sad that Roger Chaffee hadn't flown at all while more of his fellow astronauts from the third group had the chance in the Gemini program. Which of his abilities were not good enough to be considered a weaker astronaut? Thank you if anyone can answer.

Offline dks13827

• Phoenix
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Roger Chaffee
« Reply #1 on: 01/21/2011 03:08 AM »
So sad that Roger Chaffee hadn't flown at all while more of his fellow astronauts from the third group had the chance in the Gemini program. Which of his abilities were not good enough to be considered a weaker astronaut? Thank you if anyone can answer.
  My understanding is that he was not a test pilot, which really hurt one's standing to the chiefs such as Deke and Al  ( though one could still be a fine astronaut crewman, of course.)   One of the Apollo books, maybe it was 'Deke', I cant remember, said that Apollo 1 was supposed to be a good easy mission for Gus, along with 2 of the weaker new guys, Eisele and Chaffee, to fly.  Eisele hurt his shoulder via handball, I think, so White got the seat !!!

Offline Leardawg

• Indiana
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Roger Chaffee
« Reply #2 on: 01/21/2011 02:51 PM »
I'm sure a lot of that assessment of an individual's abilities was subjective and subject to the preferences and prejudices of the evaluator(s). No matter how good everyone is, in a situation like that there will always be a #1, a "Tail End Charlie", and everyone in some descending order in between.

I suspect a lot of Deke's assessments were based on background and experience, ability to absorb information and develop skills in a timely manner, work ethic and general attitude. Being an avid hunter probably didn't hurt either!  ;)
Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

Tags: