Author Topic: NASASpaceflight.com L2 Updated Overview and Q&A  (Read 104419 times)

Offline thebartonfox

• Liked: 1
  • UK
Re: NASASpaceflight.com L2 Updated Overview and Q&A
« Reply #135 on: 10/12/2012 10:53 AM »
I joined L2 yesterday and the only real way to describe it is: WOW! The amount of information on there is overwhelming, if there is anything NASA related you want to know, L2 will have it. There's amazing high quality pictures from some of the earliest missions, reports and literally hundreds of pictures from the final shuttle missions, as well as virtually everything in between. There are updates from Chris's sources that give a great insight into breaking news in the industry, hours before the public even get a sniff of what's going on (often on this site anyway).

The video section is outstanding, and the STS-115 re-entry video from INSIDE the cockpit is worth the cost of L2 membership alone (and then some!). That video lets you sit back and be right there with the astronauts, you feel like one of them yourself. And that's just one of the hundreds of fantastic videos on L2, I just hope that I manage to look through them all!

The historical section I honestly don't think words can describe, the wealth of documents and information makes the what NASA achieved in the 60's seem even more incredible. The only bad thing about looking through it is that you can't decide which picture you want as your new desktop background  :D I must have changed mine at least 20 times since yesterday!

Seriously though, if anybody is considering joining, just do it. Don't waste another moment thinking "shall I?". It's not even $20 for 2 months, and for that you, quite literally, are taken to a whole new level. A couple of words of warning though: you'll have a lot less free time, because you will "need" to finish reading that document you just downloaded. You also need to get yourself a decent sized external hard drive, because if you don't you will suddenly find you have no space left on your internal one because of those 150GB of shuttle videos you downloaded from L2 ;)

Massive thanks to Chris and the team for making L2 so amazing.

Join. NOW!
Tom

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #136 on: 10/12/2012 11:31 AM »
You also need to get yourself a decent sized external hard drive, because if you don't you will suddenly find you have no space left on your internal one because of those 150GB of shuttle videos you downloaded from L2 ;)
Get a big one, because we're still adding stuff.  ;D

Offline Chris Bergin

• NSF Managing Editor
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 3904
« Reply #137 on: 10/12/2012 11:51 AM »
I joined L2 yesterday and the only real way to describe it is: WOW! The amount of information on there is overwhelming, if there is anything NASA related you want to know, L2 will have it. There's amazing high quality pictures from some of the earliest missions, reports and literally hundreds of pictures from the final shuttle missions, as well as virtually everything in between. There are updates from Chris's sources that give a great insight into breaking news in the industry, hours before the public even get a sniff of what's going on (often on this site anyway).

The video section is outstanding, and the STS-115 re-entry video from INSIDE the cockpit is worth the cost of L2 membership alone (and then some!). That video lets you sit back and be right there with the astronauts, you feel like one of them yourself. And that's just one of the hundreds of fantastic videos on L2, I just hope that I manage to look through them all!

The historical section I honestly don't think words can describe, the wealth of documents and information makes the what NASA achieved in the 60's seem even more incredible. The only bad thing about looking through it is that you can't decide which picture you want as your new desktop background  :D I must have changed mine at least 20 times since yesterday!

Seriously though, if anybody is considering joining, just do it. Don't waste another moment thinking "shall I?". It's not even $20 for 2 months, and for that you, quite literally, are taken to a whole new level. A couple of words of warning though: you'll have a lot less free time, because you will "need" to finish reading that document you just downloaded. You also need to get yourself a decent sized external hard drive, because if you don't you will suddenly find you have no space left on your internal one because of those 150GB of shuttle videos you downloaded from L2 ;)

Massive thanks to Chris and the team for making L2 so amazing.

Join. NOW!

We should frame that and place it on the site's entrance hall for visitors to see! Wonderful post, thanks! :)

Offline TerryNC

• Liked: 0
« Reply #138 on: 10/31/2012 06:39 PM »
Joined L2 because I just wanted to say thanks to the site for being so helpful and didn't really expect much of a bonus by accessing L2.

Wrong. L2's amazing!! Why don't you guys advertise it better, I didn't know it was THAT big and cool!

Online ohlongjohnson

• Liked: 23
« Reply #139 on: 11/12/2012 08:30 AM »
I just have to say how much i LOVE L2!

It's a shame I don't find the time to dig more into the shuttle stuff and all the historic data, but even without that, it is just pure gold!

The word "new" in "news" just gets a new meaning :)

I just LOVED it to read about the spacex engine anomaly on the last flight way before getting any info whatsoever anywhere else.

Also, just reading "L2 Ringfenced..." in the "Active @ NSF Forum" part on the nasaspaceflight.com homepage gets my adrenaline pumping everytime ;)

You should install paypal/flattr buttons on every l2 page, so i can more easily submit to the urge to give you some extra money as a sign of appreciation of the aweseomeness of this site!

Thanks a lot for being awesome!
joe

P.S.: I am serious about the paypal/flattr button!

Offline Chris Bergin

• NSF Managing Editor
  • Administrator
« Reply #140 on: 11/12/2012 12:41 PM »
Very nice - and touching - posts guys! Really appreciate it!

As far as a donate style option, you've just done that by joining L2. Technically, when you pay for L2, you are paying to support the site's running costs. As a gift in return, you get to access the L2 sections, where we host massive chunks of the database, such as those huge videos and such....

...it's grown since, with the insider stuff, but that's just another bonus.

If you're willing to donate additional help, then you can use the same facility - given it's a blank total to allow people to enter how long they want to join L2 for by a money amount.

You can either top up your L2 term via that, buy someone else a L2 membership, or just send some money! :) I'm the only person who gets the notification of the payment, so I'd get to see how you want it allocating, or I'd ask you in response to the notification.

All greatfully received, given it's coming up to the holidays where people are less likely to buy a L2 membership, given they assume the site will shut down over the holidays - which it never does.

Offline kch

• Liked: 40
« Reply #141 on: 11/21/2012 11:54 PM »

To the mystery donor who just gave me an upgrade to L2, Thank You!  It's *very* much appreciated.  :D :D :D

Offline AndyX

• Liked: 22
« Reply #142 on: 12/15/2012 03:06 PM »
Love L2. Renewing is the most obvious thing to do.

Offline Chris Bergin

• NSF Managing Editor
  • Administrator
« Reply #143 on: 12/15/2012 06:28 PM »
Love L2. Renewing is the most obvious thing to do.

Good man Andy! :)

Offline john smith 19

• Liked: 212
  • Afore you post. Google sci.space.* first
  • Everyplaceelse
« Reply #144 on: 12/23/2012 05:05 PM »
Many thanks to the mystery donor for my years L2 membership. It's a terrific (and completely unexpected) Christmas present.
"Solids are a branch of fireworks, not rocketry. :-) :-) ", Henry Spencer 1/28/11  Averse to bold? You must be in marketing."It's all in the sequencing" K. Mattingly.  STS-Keeping most of the stakeholders happy most of the time.

Offline Thunderbird5

• "How hard could it be?" TM
  • Liked: 16
  • London, Ol' Blighty
« Reply #145 on: 01/13/2013 04:31 PM »
Remember, L2 isn't just for Christmas, it's for life.

;D

Offline W88Larry

• Liked: 0
« Reply #146 on: 01/28/2013 10:05 PM »
Well I joined L2, only to say thanks for the amazing site and help it pay its way which anyone with a conscience should do, but just minutes in and I can see there's enough content in L2 to keep me occupied for years. Great job building all of that!

Offline Chris Bergin

• NSF Managing Editor
  • Administrator
« Reply #147 on: 01/30/2013 11:05 PM »
Remember, L2 isn't just for Christmas, it's for life.

;D

Very true sir! ;D

Well I joined L2, only to say thanks for the amazing site and help it pay its way which anyone with a conscience should do, but just minutes in and I can see there's enough content in L2 to keep me occupied for years. Great job building all of that!

Love that Larry, thanks so much! I wish the other 99.9 percent of visitors to this site were of a like mind!

Offline Chris Bergin

• NSF Managing Editor
  • Administrator
« Reply #148 on: 02/27/2013 04:23 PM »
L2 increased to 10 master sections with the return of the mission special section, which we will use for CRS missions (SpaceX and Orbital).

Offline gbaikie

• Liked: 11
« Reply #149 on: 04/12/2013 11:09 AM »
I just noticed an unnamed donor provided me subscription.
I guess by date of message, I should have been checking my messages earlier. I do my best to make up for lost time.
Thank-you, unnamed donor!

Tags: