Author Topic: 2010 Space Elevator Conference - Aug 13-15  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Retired Downrange

• Turks & Caicos Islands
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 115
2010 Space Elevator Conference - Aug 13-15
« on: 07/26/2010 08:39 PM »
The Space Engineering and Science Institute (SESI)
presents

The 2010 Space Elevator Conference

Explore the frontiers of space exploration this summer with a three-day conference on the Space Elevator in Redmond, Washington at the Microsoft Conference Center.

Friday, August 13 through Sunday, August 15, 2010

The conference, focusing on all aspects of Space Elevator development, will engage an international audience of scientists, engineers, educators, managers, entrepreneurs, enthusiasts, and students. The focus of this year's conference is space debris mitigation, but will also feature topical discussions in all of the Four Pillars of Space Elevator Development: Science/Technical, Political/Social, Legal, and Economic. In addition, we anticipate technical and speculative presentations on the topics mentioned below. We invite you to present a paper on a topic of your interest and to comment on the Red Team Study.

http://spaceelevatorconference.org/default.aspx

edit:

Conference will include the 2010
NASA Centennial Challenges  Strong Tether Competition -  A NASA challenge in materials engineering in which the tether provided by each team is subjected to a pull test to win a $2 million prize
« Last Edit: 07/26/2010 08:42 PM by Retired Downrange »

Offline Space Pete

Re: 2010 Space Elevator Conference - Aug 13-15
« Reply #1 on: 08/16/2010 01:38 PM »
Some news on the conference:

msnbc Cosmic Log: "50 years of space elevator dreams".
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/08/13/4881974-50-years-of-space-elevator-dreams

msnbc Cosmic Log: "Tethers tortured in $2 million contest".
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/08/13/4883934-tethers-tortured-in-2-million-contest
Electronic Engineer by day, NASASpaceflight's ISS Editor by night | Read my NASASpaceflight articles here

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• Regular
  • UK
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: 12/31/2010 05:01 PM »
I missed this in the Summer but studying the sites carefully its impressive that we could have a material by 2015. Looking at other projections, the substantial prize money and the actual sense of having an elevator for commercial reasons, there could be one in operation by 2030 or 35. The dollar value is much less than comparable construction values for ISS or rockets. Altogether very inspiring  8).
I love NSF!

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6765
  • Likes Given: 4800
« Reply #3 on: 12/31/2010 05:41 PM »
I missed this in the Summer but studying the sites carefully its impressive that we could have a material by 2015. Looking at other projections, the substantial prize money and the actual sense of having an elevator for commercial reasons, there could be one in operation by 2030 or 35. The dollar value is much less than comparable construction values for ISS or rockets. Altogether very inspiring  8).
Not only that, but even if a tether from the surface to GSO will never be feasible, the advances in material properties and power systems will be quite valuable in their own right, and there are other kinds of tether systems that could also benefit.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• Regular
  • UK
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: 01/01/2011 12:03 PM »
Yes, I see the power beaming has applications elsewhere. I find it interesting that the conference had a talk on using power from space, presumably in place of power beaming, although I have not red the paper yet ...

S.A. Ambartsumian, M.V. Belubekyan, and K.B. Ghazaryan, “Stability of superconducting cable used for transportation of electrical current from space,” Acta Astronautica 66, no. 3-4 (2010): 563 - 566.

I'm reminded of the Shuttle tether experiments which I think were studying power generation. I need to dig up the papers. Of course Carbon Nanotubes are conducting so there's another, possibly quite elegant, possibility there for actually driving the lifter.
I love NSF!

Tags: