What success here means:
1. We are a lot more likely to have a continuing HSF program post shuttle.
This is good for everybody. So no sour grapes allowed.
2. It is likely that less waste and graft will be allowed within HSF budgets.
3. If SpaceX can do it then so can others.
ULA etc time to decide to move to an aggressive posture, possibly with company acquisitions. If you are going to have any offering here, you have to commit yourself at this point and enter this game fully.
4. If anyone else tries they have to do at least as well as SpaceX
They have set the bar to reach.
5. SpaceX - watch out for overconfidence and process failures.
To slow you down, everyone else will want to find a chain of missteps to prove you are depending on "hot house plants".
6. Small new firms (like Altius etc)
Do strategic partnerships with 2-3 "big" firms. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Always underpromise and overdeliver. Try to drive your internal standards higher than your partners. Charge 2x what they want and don't look back.
Work within Musk's shockwave here.
7. Congress: How much of a political target do you want to paint on yourself?
2011 budget based on achievable successes across the board. Repriese Musks air of success or face the consequences. Now!