Author Topic: STS 1 Rollout  (Read 6253 times)

Offline Ray125

• California
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
STS 1 Rollout
« on: 12/26/2009 01:17 am »
does anybody know what time did Shuttle Columbia Sts-1 started to Rollout and Complete its Rollout?

can anybody show me some videos of the First Space shuttle Columbia Rollout.

thanks so much.

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
Re: STS 1 Rollout
« Reply #1 on: 12/26/2009 07:15 am »
http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers/espace_US/shuttle/index.htm

Bottom of the page

29 décembre, 8 heures du matin Columbia sort du VAB et parcours les 6 km vers le pad 39 A sur le MLP 1.

December 29, 1980. Eight o'clock in the morning.

Not eaxctly a video, rather a photo gallery
http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers/espace_US/shuttle/index.htm
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #2 on: 12/27/2009 06:25 pm »
NASA should show videos of the Space shuttle Columbia STS-1 Rollout because it was the first space shuttle to go to the Launch Pad and it is history. how come they show the Ares 1-X rollout and it was also history.
The I-X rollout and launch campaign occurred this year.  Some of the items in the Video File currently are year-end retrospectives.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #3 on: 12/27/2009 07:24 pm »
i was reading at the website capcomespace.net and it says that Columbia STS-1 Rollout at 8:00 a.m. and it was complete at 20 h 01. What is time is 20 h 01 ?

8:01p.m.

http://buffalostate.edu/banner/documents/mtc.pdf

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #4 on: 12/27/2009 07:49 pm »
so it looks like that Columbia was heading to the launch pad 39A for 12 hours. And for an averge time for a space shuttle to rollout at lanch pad 39A would take 6 hours.

Not specifically. I don't know the details for STS-1's rollout but I'm 90% certain Columbia reached the pad long before 8p.m. that evening. However, it all depends on when rollout was considered to be complete back than. Today, rollout begins with first motion out of the VAB and ends when the crawler sets the MLP "hard-down" on the pad pedestals -- a process that takes approximately 6hrs for a journey to Pad-A. It all depends on when they considered rollout to be complete back than.

Furthermore, it depends on what time zone that website is marking time from. Is that the same website you used to get the rollout start time? If they said "rollout complete at 20h 01 EST," than that's 8p.m. Eastern Standard Time at KSC. However, if they said, "rollout complete at 20h 01 UTC," than that's 15h 01 EST (3p.m. KSC time).

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: 12/27/2009 09:14 pm »
Just some FYI here ray125...

Keep in mind that the film (and it may very likely have been 16mm film rather than video) of the rollout was shot almost 3 decades ago (29 December, 1980). NASA has a VERY slim, shoe-string budget for any sort of work with it's archives. Thus, the footage in question could still be on film only. If it is in video, it has very likely never been formatted to be presented on the Internet or in DVD in whole or in part. Often what you see in publication are clips that have been taken from film or bought from non-NASA sources. IMO- NASA does not recognize something as being historic enough to dedicate time, money and staff to until the anniversary of that event comes near- then you'll see the footage adapted to Internet or digital and splashed on NASA TV for a week or so. It is all about budget- and those are very tight right now (as always).

Worst case is that the footage has already gone to National Archives as opposed to JSC or KSC archives. If it is in National Archives it is quite similar to the scene in Raiders where they wheel the big box into the massive storage area. Working with archives is a nightmare.

With any luck, Mark over at Spacecraft Films has already dug the footage out and it will be on his long, long, long awaited Space Shuttle DVD set.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #6 on: 12/28/2009 09:18 am »
NASA should show videos of the Space shuttle Columbia STS-1 Rollout because it was the first space shuttle to go to the Launch Pad and it is history. how come they show the Ares 1-X rollout and it was also history.

Columbia was not the first shuttle at the launchpad. Enterprise was rolled to launchpad 39A nearly two years before Columbia, in May 1979, for fit-checks and systems check-out.

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #7 on: 12/28/2009 02:00 pm »
there is some clips of the rollout of sts-1 at SpaceFlight Now but i can't get acsess to watch it. if there is a member of SpaceFlight Now Would you be kind to show me those clips. thank you.

this the website www.spaceflightnow.com/plus/sts1.html

I'm a subscriber- sorry, but you have to sign up and pay like the rest of us. That's the way these web sites stay afloat.

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #8 on: 12/28/2009 04:58 pm »
Tags are for L2 threads, sorry.  And please don't ask for free stuff from a subscription site, it's just not right.  The sites need to stay up and running.  If you want it, just pay the shortest fee.

Offline psloss

« Reply #9 on: 12/28/2009 06:47 pm »
its alright. i already found a part of the rollout STS-1.
It's alright IF you got permission to post this.

Offline psloss

« Reply #10 on: 12/28/2009 06:57 pm »
its not from spaceflight now. i found it on youtube.
Then a nice thing to do would be to acknowledge where you got the clip from, since the author took the time to post the footage in the first place.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography