Author Topic: LIVE: Chang'e-2 (China's second lunar probe) - Long March 3C - October 1, 2010  (Read 99809 times)

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 53
  • Braga - Portugal
    • Em Órbita

Offline plutogno

• Liked: 33
  • Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
what next for CE-2?
according to the Google translation of this interview (in Chinese) http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2011-09...c_122063243.htm it will remain at L2 until the end of next year. Then, depending on the remaining fuel it may fly to the Sun-Earth L1 point, flyby a near Earth asteroid or comet, or return to the Moon
I'm one of the most durable and fervent advocates of space exploration, but my take is that we could do it robotically at far less cost and far greater quantity and quality of results.
James Van Allen

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 53
  • Braga - Portugal
    • Em Órbita

Offline HappyMartian

• Liked: 12
  • Tap the Moon's water!
  • Asia
what next for CE-2?
according to the Google translation of this interview (in Chinese) http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2011-09...c_122063243.htm it will remain at L2 until the end of next year. Then, depending on the remaining fuel it may fly to the Sun-Earth L1 point, flyby a near Earth asteroid or comet, or return to the Moon

How much "remaining fuel" would be needed for a flyby of 2012-DA14? Is such a flyby mission worth considering?

I just saw in the news the discovery of a new Earth-Grazing NEO in the Tunguska-class (~50m diameter).

Link to Article

Thoughts and comments?

"The Chang'e-2 is now on an extensive exploration mission some 1.5 million km from Earth. Ye said it is in good condition and scientists are planning its next stage.

"'It could fly toward the Earth to test returning orbit for future spacecraft or travel farther to explore an asteroid, he said."

From: Mission to bring back lunar soil  By Xin Dingding (China Daily)
At: http://europe.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-03/16/content_14845488.htm

Would it be feasible and worthwhile for Chang'e-2 to do a close high speed flyby reconnaissance mission to 2012 DA14?

Is it feasible and worthwhile to use any other robotic spacecraft to do such a close high speed flyby reconnaissance mission?

Cheers!

:)

"The Moon is the most accessible destination for realizing commercial, exploration and scientific objectives beyond low Earth orbit." - LEAG

Online Galactic Penguin SST

• Geek Penguin in Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 349
  • Hong Kong
Well this is surprising..... CE-2 has already left the SE-L2 point in April to make a fly-by of an asteroid in January 2013!  :o (initial reports points to asteroid 3179 Beruti, but I don't think that's possible, given that it's well into the asteroid belt)

Source

Edit: apparently the survey target is actually 4179 Toutatis. The original source was from a China Academy of Science meeting this morning, where lunar scientist Ouyang Ziyuan made a report on the future of China's plan for solar system exploration. He also mentioned a possible mission to the infamous 99942 Apophis in around 2020.
« Last Edit: 06/14/2012 08:07 AM by Galactic Penguin SST »
Hmm....where can I apply for the job of United Launch Alliance internet cheerleader?

Offline plutogno

GREAT NEWS IF TRUE!!! thanks for diggin it out...
here I am hoping they got confused with NEO (4179) Toutatis! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4179_Toutatis
I have been waiting to see Toutatis up close ever since radar images were released 20 years ago!
I'm one of the most durable and fervent advocates of space exploration, but my take is that we could do it robotically at far less cost and far greater quantity and quality of results.
James Van Allen

• Hong Kong
GREAT NEWS IF TRUE!!! thanks for diggin it out...
here I am hoping they got confused with NEO (4179) Toutatis! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4179_Toutatis
I have been waiting to see Toutatis up close ever since radar images were released 20 years ago!

I don't believe CE-2 has enough propellant to make a fly-by of the main asteroid belt, and the forum member said that he couldn't exactly remember the asteroid number, so I think this is it!

Can anyone here help to see how much delta-v is needed to make a flyby of Toutatis?
Hmm....where can I apply for the job of United Launch Alliance internet cheerleader?

Offline plutogno

dunno. anyway, according to jpl's horizon ephemeris generator, Toutatis is having a close (0.046 AU, 6.9 M km) flyby of Earth in mid-December this year. I don't expect the delta-v for a flyby to be very high
James Van Allen

Offline plutogno

don't forget that Toutatis was to have been the target of the DoD Clementine 2 mission, which would have fired a couple of missile interceptors at it
James Van Allen

Offline plutogno

finally, I was wondering whether the Chinese have developed a moving target tracking algorithm to collect any data from the flyby or they will have to image all of the uncertainty volume of the asteroid in order to be sure of capturing it as Galileo did at Gaspra and Ida. any idea?
of course such software is not needed for a lunar orbiter...
James Van Allen

• Hong Kong
Well this is surprising..... CE-2 has already left the SE-L2 point in April to make a fly-by of an asteroid in January 2013!  :o (initial reports points to asteroid 3179 Beruti, but I don't think that's possible, given that it's well into the asteroid belt)

Source

Edit: apparently the survey target is actually 4179 Toutatis. The original source was from a China Academy of Science meeting this morning, where lunar scientist Ouyang Ziyuan made a report on the future of China's plan for solar system exploration. He also mentioned a possible mission to the infamous 99942 Apophis in around 2020.

A video of the meeting can be found here: http://www.cas.cn/zt/hyzt/16thysdh/zb/

It shows that CE-2 has left the SEL2 point on April 15, and has set up a trajectory towards Toutatis. The fly-by is scheduled on January 6, 2013.

Offline apace

• Liked: 3
I'm surprised about the advancement the chinese had done... have seen such mission changes at US probes only.

• Hong Kong

Source

A video of the meeting can be found here: http://www.cas.cn/zt/hyzt/16thysdh/zb/

It shows that CE-2 has left the SEL2 point on April 15, and has set up a trajectory towards Toutatis. The fly-by is scheduled on January 6, 2013.

The video shows that the possible targets for the planned Chinese asteroid fly-by mission are as follows:

12711 Turkmit in August 2018
99942 Apophis between April and September 2020
175706 (1996 FG3) in between August and December 2023

All three are Apollo asteroids.

Offline Moe Grills

• Liked: 6
Good of the Chinese to get 'more bang for their buck' with CE-2.
JPL and JHUAPL have a lengthy track record of getting bonus missions
out of their spacecraft; it's good to see that the Chinese are taking that
route too.
 If the flyby of Toutalis is successful, the CE-2 should return more than
eye candy. There are gravitometric experiments that can be done; and
if the non-optical science instruments are working well, we should also get back fields and particles data too.

Tags: