Author Topic: Wikipedia  (Read 2858 times)

Offline ohms_law

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Wikipedia
« on: 08/06/2009 02:19 AM »
Hi folks,

I just wanted to let everyone here know that there are a couple of issues outstanding regarding NASASpaceFlight.com on Wikipedia. The main issue is a question of whether or not NASASpaceFlight.com meets the Wikipedia Reliable Sources guidelines (for reference, the guideline can be located at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reliable_sources).
Please note that this isn't a question of whether or not NASASpaceFlight.com really is reliable... establishing reliability on Wikipedia simply requires third party published sources to state that the site is reliable and notable.

The easiest way in which anyone could help would be to provide a source for the statement: "With a monthly readership of over 320,000 visitors and growing, the site’s expansion has already seen articles being referenced and linked by major news networks such as MSNBC, CBS, The New York Times, Popular Science, but to name a few.", which is given in the About page.

If anyone here is able to provide references to establish NASASpaceFlight.com's reliability and notability, please post the information at either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASAspaceflight.com or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reliable_sources/Noticeboard#NASASpaceFlight.com. Thank you.

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/2009 02:36 AM »
Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] - and just because we opted to use Wordpress as a CMS format does not mean we're a blog (and we're not a blog!) It simply proved to be a stable program to build the site on top of (and the site is actually professionally built).

Here's a couple of articles right off the bat as examples of mainstream media accrediting our news content:

New York Times: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F01E6DF1230F935A35753C1A9609C8B63

USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2007-05-28-nasa-roller-coaster-escape_N.htm

We have a journalist at the NASA briefings. We have several mainstream journalists on site. I can request a server log screenshot for the visitor figures if required.

I can't post that to the wiki page, so you can.

I assume we're being attacked by that "rival" site again. This happened before.
« Last Edit: 08/06/2009 02:46 AM by Chris Bergin »

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: 08/06/2009 02:47 AM »
I may still have the PopSci issue where Chris and the site are used for a story about the Ares Rollercoaster Escape system.  I believe it was the May 07 issue - although it may have been April 07.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline ohms_law

« Reply #3 on: 08/06/2009 02:50 AM »
Perfect, thanks Chris!

Just an FYI, I actually started this as sort of a "preemptive strike" against a malicious "their not notable" Wikipedia attack. I was all but certain that you or your users would come through with some information, and having that established (more or less) prevents this issue from coming up again.

I may still have the PopSci issue where Chris and the site are used for a story about the Ares Rollercoaster Escape system.  I believe it was the May 07 issue - although it may have been April 07.

If you do, try to post that as a reference on the NASASpaceFlight.com article. Those sorts of references are golden on Wikipedia.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #4 on: 08/06/2009 02:51 AM »
Excellent, and appreciated!

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 5789
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #5 on: 08/06/2009 02:57 AM »
As Chris said, I don't know what more they need to consider us "reliable." We regularly publish stories that Spaceflightnow.com and Aviation week turn out a couple days later via other journalists.  We have a Media Representative at KSC for all Shuttle launches, pre-flight Shuttle briefings, and NASA unmanned science missions (that would be ME!).  And, and this is the BIG one, WE GET ALL OF OUT DOCUMENTATION (official NASA documents mind you) FROM NASA!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't get to worried about this.
« Last Edit: 08/06/2009 02:59 AM by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline ohms_law

« Reply #6 on: 08/06/2009 03:02 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Wikipedia notability/reliability.
 ::)

one thing to keep in mind on this subject is that it doesn't matter what you, I, or anyone thinks. The whole key is providing references to established reliable sources which mention the subject in question (which is this site, in this instance). It's not what may or may not be true, it's what can be proven. The notability questions can be a real PITA, but the good thing is that once references are established then that's the end of it.

Offline ohms_law

« Reply #7 on: 08/06/2009 03:20 AM »
By the way... is there something somewhere that states that you have... "press credentials" (I guess) at KSC?

(I'm not at all familiar with the real working of the press corp, so anything that you could provide should help)

Offline ohms_law

« Reply #9 on: 08/06/2009 03:29 AM »
Perfect, thanks.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #10 on: 08/06/2009 04:05 AM »

If you do, try to post that as a reference on the NASASpaceFlight.com article. Those sorts of references are golden on Wikipedia.

Didn't find the magazine yet but here's the article from PopSci's website (looks like it was March 07...I was off by a month or two):

http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-space/article/2007-03/coasting-safety
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline ohms_law

« Reply #11 on: 08/06/2009 04:46 AM »
That works, I've added that as a reference (references being online is not at all required, but it certainly helps). Thank you.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 5789
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #12 on: 08/06/2009 05:20 AM »
By the way... is there something somewhere that states that you have... "press credentials" (I guess) at KSC?

(I'm not at all familiar with the real working of the press corp, so anything that you could provide should help)

Yes, that's right. I have press credentials at KSC.

Offline ohms_law

« Reply #13 on: 08/06/2009 10:01 PM »

Yes, that's right. I have press credentials at KSC.

OK good, then I'm not out in left field at least. :)
The main point in my asking about this was an attempt to find a source to use on the Wikipedia article. It doesn't need to be online, but if there's a book or ledger somewhere (in a NASA office at KSC?) that could be checked to verify that you (and NASASpaceFlight.com in general) have press credentials there, that's the sort of thing that I'm looking for. Who distributes press credentials, and how are they verified, is basically what I'm asking about.

Also, any third party sources about the history of the site (from anyone) would be greatly appreciated.

Tags: