Author Topic: STS-129: Processing Latest (OPF, VAB)  (Read 68443 times)

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 473
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: STS-129: Processing Latest (OPF, VAB)
« Reply #20 on: 08/04/2009 01:39 PM »
ET-133 is being transported to the VAB right now.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline MarsMethanogen

• Denver, Colorado USA
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: 08/04/2009 01:48 PM »
Can anyone post some images of this?  Thanks.

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 473
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #22 on: 08/04/2009 01:51 PM »
ET-133 is now inside the VAB.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline voyager

• Veteran
  • Kennedy Space Center, Florida
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: 08/04/2009 02:45 PM »
ET in the VAB!!

Offline MarsMethanogen

• Denver, Colorado USA
« Reply #24 on: 08/04/2009 04:42 PM »
Pictures of the ET's arrival at KSC are now surfacing on KSC's media gallery.

http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/search.cfm?cat=4

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #25 on: 08/04/2009 07:42 PM »
This is how the program should be.

One orbiter lands, heads back to next flight processing.
One orbiter heads to the pad, ready for a launch at the end of the month
One orbiter sees her tank arrive in the VAB.

Can't believe some people are willing to rush into retirement and endure six, maybe seven years of watching the Russians launch some of their astros (nothing against the Russians - I'm sure they'd feel the same way if the roles were reversed).
« Last Edit: 08/04/2009 09:02 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline Lawntonlookirs

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 08/04/2009 07:48 PM »

Can't believe some people are willing to rush into retirement and endure six, watching the Russians launch some of their astros (nothing against the Russians - I'm sure they'd feel the same way if the roles were reversed).

Chris, that is the way the shuttle program was suppose to be when it started.  Good to see the flow going that fast although we have seen a lot of things come up.  But that is part of the growing process.  I for one will hate see the program end.
« Last Edit: 08/05/2009 03:27 PM by Lawntonlookirs »
Everyman is my superior in that I may learn from him.  Albert Einstein

Offline MarsMethanogen

• Denver, Colorado USA
« Reply #27 on: 08/04/2009 07:49 PM »

Can't believe some people are willing to rush into retirement and endure six, watching the Russians launch some of their astros (nothing against the Russians - I'm sure they'd feel the same way if the roles were reversed).
I'll hoist a few pints to that!  And while we're at it, given the capacity of the VAB, we simply double the work force at all the centers (well, at least KSC, JSC and MAF) and double this.  So now we're up to 24 missions per year!

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 799
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #28 on: 08/05/2009 02:27 AM »

I'll hoist a few pints to that!  And while we're at it, given the capacity of the VAB, we simply double the work force at all the centers (well, at least KSC, JSC and MAF) and double this.  So now we're up to 24 missions per year!

You would need a few new orbiters then, and maybe more OPFs and MLPs, and might as well add in a new pad.....
And this is a good reminder that just because one of your fellow space enthusiasts occasionally voices doubts about the SpaceX schedule announcements or is cautious about believing SpaceX has licked a problem before actually seeing proof that's true, it doesn't mean they hate SpaceX.

Offline SEDS-UCF

• Michael P. Green
  • Orlando, FL
    • Students for the Exploration and Development of Space (SEDS-UCF)
« Reply #29 on: 08/05/2009 03:48 AM »

You would need a few new orbiters then, and maybe more OPFs and MLPs, and might as well add in a new pad.....

Really makes you think about how originally they thought they could do up to 50 launches a year.
The Students for the Exploration and Development of Space is the world's largest student run space organization. SEDS pursues this mission by educating people about the benefits of space and inspiring people through involvement in space-related projects.SEDS-UCF

Offline MBK004

« Reply #30 on: 08/05/2009 06:24 AM »

Really makes you think about how originally they thought they could do up to 50 launches a year.
I remember reading that during the construction of the VAB there were pilings sunk for two additional high bays... and don't forget about LC-39C which was in the planning stages.

Offline MarsMethanogen

• Denver, Colorado USA
« Reply #31 on: 08/05/2009 01:17 PM »
I remember reading that during the construction of the VAB there were pilings sunk for two additional high bays... and don't forget about LC-39C which was in the planning stages.
[/quote]
Actuall, this was an artifact of/early in the Apollo Program.  (See Moonport: A History of Apollo Launch Facilities and Operations).  Not only did the engineering plans exist for 39C, but sufficient land was purchased for a fourth Saturn V launch complex.  If I remember correctly, this reference cited even has an old map showing all their locations.  But folks, we've gotten off topic here. Can we just go back to STS-129 processing?  Thanks.

Online ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 5578
  • Likes Given: 716
« Reply #32 on: 08/29/2009 05:39 AM »
SSP looking at advancing STS-129 from Nov. 12 to November 9th.

Offline Nick

• UK
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #33 on: 08/29/2009 05:48 PM »
At what point will the launch date become reasonably firm?

I'm thinking of making the journey over from the UK to see the launch and am wondering when I need to get my planning into high gear and start getting excited!!

Online ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 5578
  • Likes Given: 716
« Reply #34 on: 08/29/2009 09:24 PM »
We'll know more once 128 is complete and we begin processing in earnest for 129. Since it's only a three day advancement, it could be something were the official NET date stays as Nov. 12 but the pad teams process her toward Nov. 9 with the final decision being made at the SOMD FRR.

I seem to remember this happening to STS-116 (Discovery) in December 2006.  She was targeting December 14 but they challenged to teams to get her ready for December 7th and they were able to accomplish that.

Offline FreeWillie

« Reply #35 on: 08/30/2009 12:33 AM »
The vehicle is fine schedule wise, NASA and Russia need to work out a schedule that works for 5R,129, and the Soyuz.  It will be early October when a date is set.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #36 on: 08/30/2009 10:01 AM »
If they do launch on November 9th, that looks like it'll be right after sunset just like STS-119, if the sunrise/sunset tables I looked up on Google for the Cape Canaveral area are right.  (STS-129's launch time was listed at 4:22 pm on Spaceflightnow, on 11/12, figure adding 23 min. per day when going back, that gives a time at ~5:31 pm on 11/9).
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Nick

• UK
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #37 on: 08/30/2009 10:37 AM »
Thanks for the information all.

I should have remembered what happened to STS-116. That's the one and only shuttle launch I've seen. Perhaps I should take that as a good omen for seeing STS-129.

Offline steveS

« Reply #38 on: 08/30/2009 11:06 AM »
What is the exact duration of the STS 129 mission? Some web sites quote it as 15 days while others mention it as a 11 day mission with the possibility of an added extra day.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 1801
  • Likes Given: 1095
« Reply #39 on: 08/30/2009 11:42 AM »
What is the exact duration of the STS 129 mission? Some web sites quote it as 15 days while others mention it as a 11 day mission with the possibility of an added extra day.
The latter.  (Atlantis is not equipped with SSPTS.)

Tags: