Author Topic: Expedition 24 thread (June 2 - September 24, 2010) - Includes ETCS Updates  (Read 187544 times)

Offline Space Pete

Re: Expedition 24 thread (June 2 - September 24, 2010)
« Reply #80 on: 07/06/2010 05:00 PM »
From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 05/07/2010:

FE-3 Mikhail Kornienko offloaded water from the newly arrived Progress M-06M/38P to Progress M-05M/37P. [After setting up the transfer system with hoses & compressor, Mikhail started the pump to transfer water from the BV1 Rodnik tank of 38P (#406), loaded with 150 liters, to the empty BV1 tank of 37P (#405) via the SM. BV2 of 37P still contains ~50 liters of water. The transfer took several compressor restarts.]

I don't understand why he did this ?

A-ha, I knew somebody was going to ask this! I had the same thought myself, until I figured it out. ;)

Progress M-06M/38P is scheduled to undock on 7th September, and M-05M/37P is scheduled to undock on 26th October. So, Mikhail was transferring water from 38P to 37P, so that the water will be available after 38P undocks.
« Last Edit: 07/06/2010 05:04 PM by Space Pete »
Electronic Engineer by day, NASASpaceflight's ISS Editor by night | Read my NASASpaceflight articles here

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 0

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 237
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #82 on: 07/06/2010 06:32 PM »
Today the Russian press has been reporting the US toilet is broken again and the astronauts have to visit the russian segment for relief...

...and they're having FUN reporting it.

But I can't find any NASA mention of it (I missed the 11 AM EDT
station status hour, I'll catch a replay shortly).

Anybody heard any news?

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 24
« Reply #83 on: 07/06/2010 06:50 PM »
Today the Russian press has been reporting the US toilet is broken again and the astronauts have to visit the russian segment for relief...

Anybody heard any news?

Wasn't the "US toilet" in ISS purchased from the Russians anyway?
JRF

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 665
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #84 on: 07/06/2010 07:03 PM »

Anybody heard any news?
ISS On-Orbit Status 07/06/10

Wheelock & Walker worked on the WHC (Waste & Hygiene Compartment), troubleshooting the facility which is currently nonfunctional, probably due to its pump separator. [The crew was to remove & replace piping between the Russian-furnished MNR-NS pump separator and DKiV Pre-Treat Dispenser & Water Pump (also called “Dose Pump”), a regularly scheduled part of 180-day preventive maintenance. Doug & Shannon also were to change out the WHC’s UR (Urine Receptacle) hose and IF (Insert Filter), then vacuum the entire WHC and clean it with disinfectant wipes. With the WHC down, the entire crew is currently using the Soyuz toilet facilities. There is a spare pump separator onboard, and the crew has procedures for changing it out.]

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #85 on: 07/06/2010 07:18 PM »
Also from ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 06/07/2010:

After configuring the usual pumping equipment (Compressor-M, hoses, adapters), FE-3 Mikhail Kornienko initiated the transfer of urine from 9 EDV-U containers to the empty BV1 Rodnik storage tank of Progress M-06M/38P at the SM Aft port, emptied yesterday of its 150 liters of water, then flushed the lines with disinfectant from an EDV. [Each of the spherical Rodnik tanks BV1 & BV2 consists of a hard shell with a soft membrane (bladder) composed of elastic fluoroplastic. The bladder is used to expel water from the tank by compressed air pumped into the tank volume surrounding the membrane and is leak-tested before urine transfers, i.e., with empty tanks, the bladders are expanded against the tank walls and checked for hermeticity.]

FE-2 Tracy Caldwell-Dyson & FE-4 Doug Wheelock jointly reviewed a preliminary EVA-16 task outline for familiarization. Their EVA-16 spacewalk is currently scheduled on 17/08, preceded by their EVA-15 on 05/08. In order of their execution, the proposed tasks for EVA-16 are:
1) 1553 data cable installation (completion from EVA-15).
2) CP3 camera wedge installation.
3) P1 Truss radiator beam troubleshooting.
4) Strela adapter retrieval.
5) Starboard CETA (Crew Equipment Translation Aid) cart reconfiguration.
6) Get aheads:
    • FGB thruster imagery.
    • APFR (Articulating Portable Foot Restraint) relocation for STS-133/ULF-5.
    • Tool re-stow/eternal tool box stow/transfer 2 round scoops to the
       Z1 Truss tool box.
« Last Edit: 07/06/2010 07:37 PM by Space Pete »
Electronic Engineer by day, NASASpaceflight's ISS Editor by night | Read my NASASpaceflight articles here

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 169
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #86 on: 07/06/2010 09:39 PM »

The information on Novosti kosmonavtiki mentioned, that the toilet was build by Energiya and was sold for 19 million $ to the US.

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 237
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #87 on: 07/06/2010 09:43 PM »
Entire crew using the SOYUZ commode? What happened to the one in the Service Module? And there are TWO units in the US segment, right?

So -- are ALL three primary space toilets non-functional?

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 24
« Reply #88 on: 07/06/2010 09:55 PM »

The information on Novosti kosmonavtiki mentioned, that the toilet was build by Energiya and was sold for 19 million $ to the US.

That's what I thought. So I wonder why the Russian media is having "fun" reporting that a Russian toilet is broken? Perhaps they are under the misimpression that because the toilet is in the US segment, it must be a US-designed toilet?
JRF

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #89 on: 07/06/2010 10:28 PM »

Yes, the WHC toilet is exactly the same as the toilet in the SM.

Hi-res version:
www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-19/hires/iss019e005733.jpg
« Last Edit: 07/06/2010 10:28 PM by Space Pete »

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 155

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #91 on: 07/08/2010 08:00 PM »
From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 08/07/2010:

FE-2 Tracy Caldwell-Dyson joined FE-4 Doug Wheelock in Node 3 for Part 2 of CDRA maintenance, establishing redundancy for the system by installing a second desiccant/sorbent Bed (#201). [After yesterday's bed installation & replacement of most component groups in CDRA in front of the new bed, Wheels & Tracy today finished up with component restoration, then installed CDRA in AR-1 (Atmosphere Revitalization rack-1) and mated all utilities of the rack. For access to the worksite, the WHC (Waste & Hygiene Compartment) Kabin had to be removed (later restored) and the AR-1 rotated down temporarily.]

FE-6 Shannon Walker had ~1 hour set aside to continue troubleshooting on the WHC, today (Part 2) going through newly uplinked procedures to try to isolate the source of recent WHC failure to either the Pump Separator or its Control Unit by demating the power connection to these ORUs (Orbital Replacement Units) and running a functionality test. [Yesterday's troubleshooting by reconfiguring the system after the scheduled replacement of the piping was unsuccessful; the control panel turned itself off twice during start-up. The crew is currently continuing to use the Russian ASU toilet facility in the SM.]

FE-5 Fyodor Yurchikhin used pressurized O2 from Progress M-06M/38P Oxygen stores for another refresh of the ISS cabin for about an hour (see OGA note below).

US EVA Planning Change:
There will be only one US EVA during Increment 24. Specifics to be baselined later this week.

Progress M-06M/38P Rodnik Tank Failure:
Urine transfer from EDV containers to the empty BV1 Rodnik storage tank of 38P on 06/07 was aborted when a pre-transfer tank bladder compression indicated a leak from BV1 (air). Moscow will postpone urine transfer to BV1 until right before 38P undocking.

TORU Testing Update:
Yesterday's two-part TORU testing by Skvortsov & Yurchikhin was not completed due to bad radio/telemetry connection from TsUP-Moscow to the RGS (Russian Ground Site) during Part 1 (without Klest).

OGA Failure:
The US OGA (Oxygen Generator Assembly) continues to be down, having failed on 05/07 due to a high voltage in two cells in the H2 dome. A forward plan to determine the root cause is in work as teams work down a fault tree. O2 margins are good until tomorrow provided Elektron remains operational (currently running on 32 Amp). Progress O2 could also be used. There is one spare H2 dome on board and none on the ground.
« Last Edit: 07/08/2010 08:24 PM by Space Pete »

Online rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #92 on: 07/09/2010 07:11 PM »
TORU Testing Update: The repeat of the two-part TORU testing by Skvortsov & Yurchikhin originally scheduled for today was cancelled.

WHC Update: After the failure of the WHC (Waste & Hygiene Compartment) toilet facility was traced to the MNR-NS pump/separator, the crew replaced the unit with a Russian spare from FGB stowage which recovered the system. The WHC is now working nominally and Go for use. According to the near-term plan, the WHC remains configured for internal EDV-U use for waste collection. Its re-integration with the UPA (Urine Processor Assembly) will require additional investigation. [The only US spare unit on board is currently “lost” and cannot be found.]

CDRA Update: The crew completed the reinstallation of the CDRA (Carbon Dioxide Removal Assembly) component groups and re-mounted CDRA in the AR1 (Atmosphere Revitalization) Rack 1. Due to limited time, CDRA utilities were not connected up to make it operational. That procedure will be completed next week. The rack relocations that will result in two operational CDRAs have been deferred to later in the month.

Epsilon Aurigae Eclipse Observation: ISS is participating in a significant astronomical observation program just getting underway, followed by thousands of amateur & professional astronomers: the Epsilon Aurigae Eclipse. A specific star in the Constellation Auriga (Charioteer) called Epsilon Aurigae undergoes an eclipse (being occulted) every 27.1 years. This has puzzled astronomers for nearly 200 years. The eclipse lasts nearly two years which, with the 27.1 year period, means the eclipsing body must be gigantic. There may be a temporary brightening at mid-eclipse. There have been no satisfactory explanations to date for this. Is it a giant cloud of gas with a doughnut-like hole, permitting the star to brighten during mid-eclipse? The Sun’s proximity to Epsilon Aurigae, as seen from the ground, prevents observations by ground-based astronomers during mid-eclipse, but astronauts on the ISS, having a different aspect angle, can observe and note changes in relative brightness, as suggested by the AAVSO (American Association of Variable Star Observers) following a talk by NASA-Astronaut John Grunsfeld. The method used by the crew is to compare the brightness of Epsilon Aurigae weekly with three other nearby stars of known & unchanging brightness.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #93 on: 07/09/2010 09:00 PM »
Also from ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 09/07/2010:

Working in the Lab, FE-6 Shannon Walker prepared location Starboard 1 (LAB1S1) for the temporary installation of the Node 3 ARS Rack by installing a K-BAR (Knee-Brace Assembly Replacement) Capture Fitting & Pivot Fitting. [The ARS "musical chairs" relocation is scheduled to start early next week. Sabatier installation/activation will eventually require an active ARS rack in Node 3, but the Lab ARS Rack, currently installed in Node 3 without umbilicals mated, cannot be activated in Node 3. So the Node 3 & Lab ARS racks must be swapped back to their original locations. Next week's task moves the Node 3 ARS from Lab Deck 6 (LAB1D6) to Lab Starboard 1 as a temporary location, for which Shannon prepared the K-BAR today. The second rack, i.e. the Lab ARS rack, will then be moved from Node 3 Aft 4 (NOD3A4) to Lab Deck 6, and the Node 3 ARS rack will lastly be transferred from Lab Starboard 1 to its final location at Node 3 Aft 4.]

After Shannon first connected the UOP (Utility Outlet Panel) DCP (Display & Control Panel) power bypass cable at the Cupola RWS (Robotic Workstation) and video cameras were configured, Shannon & FE-2 Tracy Caldwell-Dyson "walked off" the SSRMS from the Lab PDGF to the MBS PDGF-3. [The MBS MT was translated yesterday by ground controllers from WS-4 (Worksite 4) to WS-6 in preparation for the upcoming RPCM swap with the SPDM. The translation was delayed by about 1 hour due to a communication problem during SPDM powerdown, but functionality was restored by cycling RWS power. Otherwise, system performance was nominal.]
« Last Edit: 07/09/2010 09:06 PM by Space Pete »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #94 on: 07/10/2010 06:30 PM »
From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 10/07/2010:

Reboost Planning:
The next ISS reboost, by Progress M-06M/38P, is being planned for Friday 16/07 at ~8:25 AM GMT.
« Last Edit: 07/10/2010 06:31 PM by Space Pete »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #95 on: 07/11/2010 05:58 PM »
From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 11/07/2010:

Conjunction Advisory:
Flight controllers had a late notification of a new conjunction (Object 33977/COSMOS 2251 debris, from the Feb. 2009 collision with IRIDIUM 33). TCA (Time of Closest Approach) is tomorrow (12/07) at 7:12 AM GMT. This conjunction is currently a low risk. No action required at this time.

Solar Eclipse:
A total solar eclipse will occur today over the South Pacific Ocean. The ISS will pass through the penumbral shadow on two orbits resulting in a partial solar eclipse for the crew from 6:19 PM to 6:41 PM GMT and again from 8:06 PM to 8:15 PM GMT.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #96 on: 07/12/2010 02:24 PM »
Not directly related to Expedition 24, but worth mentioning:

Today is the 10th anniversary of the launch of the SM "Zvezda" (launched on 12/07/2000)!
Here's to another 10 years! :)

Roscosmos PAO: "The ISS Service Module Flew to the Station 10 Years Ago".
www.roscosmos.ru/main.php?id=2&nid=9871
« Last Edit: 07/12/2010 03:38 PM by Space Pete »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #97 on: 07/12/2010 10:44 PM »
From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 12/07/2010:

FE-2 Tracy Caldwell-Dyson & FE-4 Doug Wheelock continued the IFM (Inflight Maintenance) on the CDRA, finishing up CDRA back bed (#201) installation by mating the fluid, power, and data connections. [Remaining work includes installation of the hydraflow connectors (when the AR (Air Revitalisation) racks are swapped) and to clean the Node 3 AR rack AAA (Avionics Air Assembly), not required for Node 3 CDRA activation. All beds are installed and the rack swap will be scheduled in the next few weeks. The rack that is in Node 3 does not work in Node 3 so it has to move to the lab. This is due to 1553 comm. connection issues.]

Tracy unstowed, configured and installed the US EK (EarthKAM) hardware, for the first time in the unpowered WORF for a new session, powered by a Ku-band power supply unit. Unfortunately, errors were encountered on the laptop and the setup could not be completed. Over 50 schools have already signed up to participate.

FE-6 Shannon Walker unstowed the new NASA CubeLab-1 hardware and installed it for operation, then recorded documentary video of the setup and ensuing operations. [CubeLab is a low cost 1kg platform for educational projects. It is a multipurpose research facility that interfaces small standard modules into the ERs (ExPrESS Racks). The modules can be used within the pressurised space station environment on orbit, with a nominal length, width, and height of 100mm and a mass of no more than 1g. Up to 16 CubeLab modules can be inserted into a CubeLab insert inside an ER.]

FE-3 Mikhail Kornienko & FE-5 Fyodor Yurchikhin had ~3 hours set aside for an in-depth review of their upcoming EVA-25 (26/07).

Meanwhile, Shannon spent about an hour on gathering US EVA tools which will be supporting the Mikhail & Fyodor on their EVA.

Doug worked in the US A/L on his and Tracy's EMUs (Extravehicular Mobility Units), setting up EMUs #3010 & #3011 with their SCUs (Service & Cooling Umbilicals) and initiated the standard one-hour scrubbing process on the spacesuits’ cooling water loops, filtering ionic and particulate matter (via a 3 micron filter), then reconfigured the cooling loops and started the ~2 hour biocide filtering. [Loop scrubbing, including iodination of the LCVGs (Liquid Cooling & Ventilation Garments) for biocidal maintenance, is done to eliminate any biomass and particulate matter that may have accumulated in the loops.]

OGA Update:
The OGA (Oxygen Generator Assembly) H2 Dome ORU is considered failed. The path forward is to finalize procedures to flush the acidic water from the current OGA recirculation loop and then replace the H2 Dome with the onboard unit. Currently, O2 is at 158mmHg; Russian Elektron is on in 31 Amp mode.
« Last Edit: 07/12/2010 10:55 PM by Space Pete »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #98 on: 07/13/2010 07:18 PM »
« Last Edit: 07/13/2010 07:19 PM by Space Pete »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #99 on: 07/13/2010 10:46 PM »
From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 13/07/2010:

Today Sasha, Misha & Tracy have their 100th day on orbit. Congrats!

Wheels performed the first steps of the scheduled X2R9 software transition, installing the first two R13 HDDs (Hard Disk Drives) with the upgrade in two PCS laptops, followed by power-up and network connection. Four remaining R13 HDDs were installed later in the day. The old R12 drives and one spare R13 drive stowed. [MCC-H continued the transition of the C&C (Command & Control) MDM software to CCS (Command & Control System) R9, the Node 1 MDMs to NCS R4, the Payload MDMs to R9, and the PCS software step-up to PCS R13. The current C&C MDM configuration is as follows: C&C3 is prime, loaded with R9, C&C2 is backup, loaded with R8, C&C1 is standby with the new load but will be transitioned to backup this evening by ground controllers. Transitions activities will continue tomorrow.]

-----

Roscosmos PAO: "ISS USOS Oxygen Generation System is Still Off".
The OGS (Oxygen Generation System) in the US section of the station is currently down. The leading cause of the system's failure is believed to be contamination of the membranes in the H2 dome. The pH of the water in the loop is around 4.0, which is causing a breakdown of some of the materials used in the construction of the dome leading to the contamination of the membranes. Teams in Houston are working on a plan to scrub the recirculation water loop before replacing the H2 dome with a spare kept aboard the station. The water scrub procedure also will be used to bring the pH up to a more neutral level. The oxygen level on the station will be maintained via Elektron and Progress tanks. Procedures to restore the OGS are expected to begin by the end of the week.
« Last Edit: 07/13/2010 10:48 PM by Space Pete »

Tags: