Author Topic: NASA - Kepler updates  (Read 170577 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1341
  • Likes Given: 168
Re: NASA - Kepler updates
« Reply #380 on: 01/18/2015 06:21 PM »

I expect to hear a lot more about that latest K2 find: the star is a bright M0.2 and ideal for follow-up, both ground based RV and Hubble transmission spectroscopy (and JWST when it launches).

I'd expect RV results later this year, which will give us a few more points on the radius/density curve

--- Tony

I'm predicting announcements of the most Earth like planets talking 95%+ similar later this year.

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 102
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #381 on: 01/19/2015 07:56 AM »
I think that is a little over-optimistic (but not much) ... and I do expect a couple of over-hyped announcements :-)

K2 will find plenty more planets, but because of the decrease in sensitivity and short viewing window for each field, it is not really capable of finding long duration planets and the habitability/similarity of planets around M dwarfs is questionable (personally, I'm sceptical that you can call anything around an M-dwarf truly habitable due to tidal locking issues and flares).

In the short term, I think the best chance for Earth-like worlds around sun-like stars is still from the main Kepler pipeline.  There are a few KOI with very high ESI numbers which may be susceptible to ground based follow up (KOI-4878.01 springs to mind), which could happen this year and prove me to be a pessimist :-)

We also might get lucky and get a few single transit events from K2 but really to find truly Earth-like worlds will take a while ... long observation of K2 / TESS discoveries or (worst-case) Plato results.

--- Tony

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #382 on: 01/19/2015 08:15 AM »

I think that is a little over-optimistic (but not much) ... and I do expect a couple of over-hyped announcements :-)

K2 will find plenty more planets, but because of the decrease in sensitivity and short viewing window for each field, it is not really capable of finding long duration planets and the habitability/similarity of planets around M dwarfs is questionable (personally, I'm sceptical that you can call anything around an M-dwarf truly habitable due to tidal locking issues and flares).

In the short term, I think the best chance for Earth-like worlds around sun-like stars is still from the main Kepler pipeline.  There are a few KOI with very high ESI numbers which may be susceptible to ground based follow up (KOI-4878.01 springs to mind), which could happen this year and prove me to be a pessimist :-)

We also might get lucky and get a few single transit events from K2 but really to find truly Earth-like worlds will take a while ... long observation of K2 / TESS discoveries or (worst-case) Plato results.

--- Tony

I wasn't referring to the K2 mission but data still being extracted from the original one.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 803
  • Likes Given: 390
« Reply #383 on: 05/14/2015 10:55 PM »

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/kepler/ames/kepler-observes-neptune-dance-with-its-moons

NASA's Kepler spacecraft, known for its planet-hunting prowess of other stars, is also studying solar system objects. In its new K2 mission, Neptune and two of its moons, Triton and Nereid, have been imaged. The movie illustrates 70 days of uninterrupted observation making this one of the longer continuous studies of an outer solar system object.

The movie, based on 101,580 images taken from November 2014 through January 2015 during K2's Campaign 3, reveals the perpetual clockwork of our solar system. The 70-day timespan is compressed into 34 seconds with the number of days noted in the top right corner.

Neptune appears on day 15 but does not travel alone in the video. The small faint object closely orbiting is its large moon Triton, which circles Neptune every 5.8 days. Appearing from the left at day 24, keen-eyed observers can also spot the tiny moon Nereid in its slow 360-day orbit around the planet. A few fast-moving asteroids make cameo appearances in the movie, showing up as streaks across the K2 field of view. The red dots are a few of the stars K2 examines in its search for transiting planets outside of our solar system.

Neptune's atmosphere reflects sunlight creating a bright appearance. The reflected light floods a number of pixels of the spacecraft's on board camera, producing the bright spikes extending above and below the planet. The celestial bodies in the stitched-together images are colored red to represent the wavelength response of the spacecraft's camera. In reality, Neptune is deep blue in color and its moons and the speeding asteroids are light grey while the background stars appear white from a distance.

Relative orbit speeds explain the interesting motion of Neptune and its moons beginning at day 42. Inner planets like Earth orbit more quickly than outer planets like Neptune. In the movie, Neptune’s apparent motion relative to the stationary stars is mostly due to the circular 372-day orbit of the Kepler spacecraft around the sun. If you look at distant objects and move your head back and forth, you will notice that objects close to you will also appear to move back and forth, relative to objects far away. The same concept is producing the apparent motion of Neptune.

While NASA’s Kepler spacecraft is known for its discoveries of planets around other stars, an international team of astronomers plans to use these data to track Neptune’s weather and probe the planet’s internal structure by studying subtle brightness fluctuations that can only be observed with K2.

NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California, manages the Kepler and K2 missions for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, managed Kepler mission development. Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp. operates the flight system with support from the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics at the University of Colorado in Boulder.

Last Updated: May 14, 2015
Editor: Michele Johnson
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 2366
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #384 on: 07/20/2015 07:12 PM »
July 20, 2015
MEDIA ADVISORY M15-110

NASA Hosts Media Teleconference to Announce Latest Kepler Discoveries

NASA will host a news teleconference at noon EDT Thursday, July 23 to announce new discoveries made by its planet-hunting mission, the Kepler Space Telescope.

The first exoplanet orbiting another star like our sun was discovered in 1995. Exoplanets, especially small Earth-size worlds, belonged within the realm of science fiction just 21 years ago. Today, and thousands of discoveries later, astronomers are on the cusp of finding something people have dreamed about for thousands of years -- another Earth.

The briefing participants are:
•John Grunsfeld, associate administrator for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington
•Jon Jenkins, Kepler data analysis lead at NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California
•Jeff Coughlin, Kepler research scientist at SETI Institute in Mountain View, California
•Didier Queloz, professor of astrophysics at Cambridge University, United Kingdom

Launched in March 2009, Kepler is the first NASA mission to detect Earth-size planets orbiting distant stars in or near the habitable zone -- the range of distance from a star in which the surface temperature of an orbiting planet might sustain liquid water. The telescope has since confirmed more than 1,000 planets and more than 3,000 planet candidates spanning a wide range of sizes and orbital distances, including those in the habitable zone.

For dial-in information, media should e-mail their name, affiliation and telephone number to Felicia Chou at felicia.chou@nasa.gov no later than 10 a.m. Thursday. Questions can be submitted on Twitter during the teleconference using the hashtag #askNASA.

The teleconference audio and visuals will be streamed live at:

http://www.nasa.gov/newsaudio

For more information about NASA’s Kepler mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/kepler

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #385 on: 07/22/2015 05:50 PM »
This has been picked up widely in the UK online media.

NASA has had a pretty big month already, but apparently the US space agency's not done yet. The Ames Research Centre team has just revealed that they'll be making a big announcement on Thursday at 4pm UTC (9am PDT on Thursday, or 2am AEST on Friday) about the exoplanet-hunting Kepler mission. And speculation is already running wild that they may be about to announce the discovery of a new Earth-like planet in the habitable zone of a star... in other words, a potential new home for humanity (or prime spot to look for extraterrestiral life).

http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-s-making-a-big-exoplanet-announcement-this-week-here-s-how-to-watch-live

Online sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 2019
« Reply #386 on: 07/22/2015 07:36 PM »
<sarcasm>It's a shame NASA has lost its way and doesn't do meaningful exploration anymore. </sarcasm>

*massive eye roll*

I can't wait for this presser!
« Last Edit: 07/22/2015 07:36 PM by sghill »
Bring the thunder Elon!

Offline Hauerg

• Berndorf, Austria
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 1061
« Reply #387 on: 07/23/2015 04:07 PM »
On all those links i get a message that media is not availaible in my regiion, which is Austria, Europe, due to right restrictions.
Wtf.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1528
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #388 on: 07/23/2015 04:08 PM »
Try reloading, I got an overload notice initially.

Offline WBY1984

• Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #389 on: 07/23/2015 04:08 PM »
Reading between the lines so far, it seems like they've found something earthlike.

Offline ugordan

« Reply #390 on: 07/23/2015 04:11 PM »
Media materials here: http://www.nasa.gov/keplerbriefing0723

Briefing is apparently about Kepler-452b, closest to Earth's twin so far:

Online sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 2019
« Reply #391 on: 07/23/2015 04:18 PM »
Announced the discovery of a single exoplanet that is rock sized, in the habitable zone, around a sun-like star (G2 type). Kepler- 452b

Is 5% further than Earth is from a star 10% larger and brighter with the same solar surface temp.

Receives 10% more energy as does Earth.  Has been in the sweet spot of it's habitable zone for 6 billion years.

Orbital period is almost the same as Earth.

Has a mass 5x Earth and surface gravity twice as high.

Likely has thick clouds and active volcanoes.

Bring the thunder Elon!

Offline ugordan

« Reply #392 on: 07/23/2015 04:20 PM »
For every 1 planet we see like this, there's 50 more that we cannot see because the system is not transiting. Plenty of planets in habitable zones around sunlike stars.

Offline ugordan

« Reply #393 on: 07/23/2015 04:21 PM »
... and I just lost the stream.

Offline Bargemanos

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #394 on: 07/23/2015 04:22 PM »

same here

Online the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 2732
« Reply #395 on: 07/23/2015 04:22 PM »

Just cut off mid-sentence here, too.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline WBY1984

• Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #396 on: 07/23/2015 04:22 PM »
And same again. Typical.

Edit, back up again.
« Last Edit: 07/23/2015 04:23 PM by WBY1984 »

Offline ugordan

Offline _INTER_

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #398 on: 07/23/2015 04:33 PM »
Why is this announceworthy? The new exoplanet doesnt even reach no. 1 on the ESI scale:
http://phl.upr.edu/projects/habitable-exoplanets-catalog

Offline ugordan

« Reply #399 on: 07/23/2015 04:36 PM »
Because it's the first rocky (?) planet detected in nearly a Earth-like orbit around a Sun-like star?
« Last Edit: 07/23/2015 04:37 PM by ugordan »

Tags: updates