Author Topic: ORBITAL PEGASUS: HAPS vs HAPS-Lite  (Read 7406 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 356
  • Likes Given: 460
ORBITAL PEGASUS: HAPS vs HAPS-Lite
« on: 02/27/2009 07:17 PM »
OK, I have noticed that some Pegasus missions carried a HAPS auxiliary stage, and some a "HAPS-Lite". Are they simply different names for different stages, or are they indeed different, and if so, how?

???

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ORBITAL PEGASUS: HAPS vs HAPS-Lite
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/2009 03:12 AM »
Where have you seen "HAPS-Lite" mentioned?  I have never heard of one, but just in case I checked with Brian Baldwin, the current Pegasus Program Manager, and he has never heard of one, either.

AFAIK there is only one HAPS.

I can, though, provide the history of the name.  When, sometime around 1991-1992 we designed the device (meant to trim the dispersions of the solid third stage rather than provide significant delta-V like an additional stage would) we called it the "Precision Injection Kit", or "PIK" for short.  Bob Feconda was the PIK program Manager.

Soon everybody started calling it the "PIK Kit" and, unhappy with the redundancy, we decided to re-name it the "Hydrazine Auxiliary Propulsion System", or "HAPS".

Well, it didn't take long for it to become the "HAPS System".

And so it goes...

ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 490
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #2 on: 03/01/2009 05:12 AM »
Where have you seen "HAPS-Lite" mentioned?  I have never heard of one, but just in case I checked with Brian Baldwin, the current Pegasus Program Manager, and he has never heard of one, either.

AFAIK there is only one HAPS.

I can, though, provide the history of the name.  When, sometime around 1991-1992 we designed the device (meant to trim the dispersions of the solid third stage rather than provide significant delta-V like an additional stage would) we called it the "Precision Injection Kit", or "PIK" for short.  Bob Feconda was the PIK program Manager.

Soon everybody started calling it the "PIK Kit" and, unhappy with the redundancy, we decided to re-name it the "Hydrazine Auxiliary Propulsion System", or "HAPS".

And so it goes...

For the Aug 1998 Orbcomm launch, it was reported that the HAPS had been redesigned to use a titanium tank instead of the old composite prop tank
(which disintegrated in orbit after the 1994 STEP-2 launch). I believe this new configuration was referred to in Orbital press info at the time as HAPS-Lite.

- Jonathan
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #3 on: 03/01/2009 03:33 PM »

For the Aug 1998 Orbcomm launch, it was reported that the HAPS had been redesigned to use a titanium tank instead of the old composite prop tank
(which disintegrated in orbit after the 1994 STEP-2 launch). I believe this new configuration was referred to in Orbital press info at the time as HAPS-Lite.

- Jonathan

Ah!  What a tangled web we weave...

Jonathan, you are indeed the tribe's Corporate Memory...

Anyhow, there is only one HAPS available for Pegasus, and I'm sure that many of the components (not only the Hydrazine tank) may have been updated since the 90's, if anything else because of obsolescence or unavailability of parts...

Offline kch

• Liked: 492
  • Likes Given: 8815
« Reply #4 on: 03/01/2009 03:43 PM »

... sometime around 1991-1992 we designed the device (meant to trim the dispersions of the solid third stage rather than provide significant delta-V like an additional stage would) we called it the "Precision Injection Kit", or "PIK" for short.  Bob Feconda was the PIK program Manager.

And so it goes...

The "Department of Redundancy Department" never sleeps ... ;)

Offline just-nick

• Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: 03/01/2009 11:43 PM »

And so it goes...

The "Department of Redundancy Department" never sleeps ... ;)

I just hope we never catch Antonioe entering his PIN number into an ATM machine...

--Nick

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #6 on: 03/03/2009 07:18 PM »

I just hope we never catch Antonioe entering his PIN number into an ATM machine...

--Nick

Why, it's 8888, of course!  ;)
« Last Edit: 03/03/2009 07:25 PM by antonioe »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 03/03/2011 05:49 PM »
I should note that the Minotaur III features a "Super HAPS" 4th stage:

http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/Publications/Minotaur_III_Fact.pdf

Offline simonbp

« Reply #8 on: 03/03/2011 06:29 PM »
Which I can only assume uses some sort of Super-Hydrazine (that will kill you for just looking at it)...

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 03/03/2011 06:41 PM »
Which I can only assume uses some sort of Super-Hydrazine (that will kill you for just looking at it)...

Its actually a 4 pack.

Tags: