Author Topic: What's Happening at Bigelow?  (Read 175521 times)

Offline docmordrid

• Liked: 301
  • Michigan
« Last Edit: 01/28/2010 04:46 PM by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Orbital Debris

• Liked: 6
  • Glad to be out of Vegas
Re: What's Happening at Bigelow?
« Reply #151 on: 01/28/2010 08:08 PM »
I'm rather mystified as to why they would put out a press release with this information. 

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Liked: 379
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
« Reply #152 on: 01/28/2010 08:49 PM »
Their hab orientation is all wrong for a Bigelow inflatable.
It's laid out like space-lab, as if the hab lay horizontally on the ground, like a very long, single story house.
All the Bigelow hab design concepts I've seen use a central core running the full length, and are oriented like a multi story building, standing vertically on the ground. That central core houses all the permanent hardware and power, liquid and life support services, running on shared busses between "floors".
Chuck

Offline Orbital Debris

• Liked: 6
  • Glad to be out of Vegas
« Reply #153 on: 01/28/2010 09:04 PM »
Actually, the Bigelow designs are oriented longitudinally.  The 'layer cake' was used for the transhab designs.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Liked: 379
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
« Reply #154 on: 01/28/2010 09:07 PM »
Actually, the Bigelow designs are oriented longitudinally.  The 'layer cake' was used for the transhab designs.

Examples with links?
Chuck

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #155 on: 01/28/2010 10:56 PM »
Bigelow mockup images....d/l'ed off their site before the links disappeared.  The first pretty much matches ORBITEC's concept art and the mid-deck "floor" looks a lot like the last images "floor".  The rest show the core framing.

A lot of info can be gleaned if you visit http://www.freepatentsonline.com/.  Search for Robert T. Bigelow or Bigelow Aerospace.  It'll list the patents, many of which are for the modules and their subsystems while many of the others are just flat entertaining.

This one is the pdf for the module core & bulkheads;

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20050120638.pdf
« Last Edit: 01/28/2010 11:19 PM by docmordrid »
DM

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 41
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #156 on: 01/29/2010 12:05 AM »
Bigelow mockup images....d/l'ed off their site before the links disappeared.  The first pretty much matches ORBITEC's concept art and the mid-deck "floor" looks a lot like the last images "floor".  The rest show the core framing.

A lot of info can be gleaned if you visit http://www.freepatentsonline.com/.  Search for Robert T. Bigelow or Bigelow Aerospace.  It'll list the patents, many of which are for the modules and their subsystems while many of the others are just flat entertaining.

This one is the pdf for the module core & bulkheads;

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20050120638.pdf

Cool. Thanks for the links & images.
My thoughts and prayers for the families of loved ones on Malaysian flight MH17

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber
  • Liked: 412
  • Louisville, CO
« Reply #157 on: 01/29/2010 02:32 AM »

I can vouch for those pictures--I went on a tour there a few years ago, and that's how they had the layout.

~Jon

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 42
  • South coast of England
« Reply #158 on: 01/29/2010 05:57 AM »
Those designs are all for Earth gravity.  Under thrust the bottom will be at the back.  Under rotation the bottom will be the outside with the centre column as the top.

Offline CriX

• Regular
  • Liked: 13
  • Irvine, CA
« Reply #159 on: 01/29/2010 06:13 AM »
Those designs actually look horribly cramped.  Can't even "stand up" in most of those volumes except for the last one.  I'm also confused with this configuration considering artificial Gs during propulsion, but I suppose most of the time spent inside would be under zerog.

I assume these are the 330?

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #160 on: 01/29/2010 06:15 AM »
They are the 330, and in one of his most recent interviews for MSNBC Bigelow stated that astronauts who have visited his complex are "flabbergasted"  at how spacious they are.

Astronaut visitors to the module mockups "are flabbergasted by the volume...they are really taken aback by how large these are," Bigelow said. "We are actually looking for a couple of astronauts now to join our marketing program."

"Under rotation the bottom will be the outside"

Rotational gravity? In all my digging about BA's modules I've never seen anything about rotational gravity, and once attached to a hub/power bus and other modules in the way Bigelow has presented that would be impossible. 

What I have read is that the core provides rigidity, especially during launch, and stowage for gear and provisions before and during launch.  On orbit and after inflation this is removed and placed in their use/storage areas.  Conduit and airflow goes through the compartments inside core framing members, as per one of the patents*.  Berths, exercise and work areas are arranged as shown in drawing 1 in every Bigelow generated concept I've seen.

Abut the Sundancer schedule slip - that has more to do with the economy causing Bigelow to slow down than SpaceX (separate news report).  Seems Bigelow hasn't built the construction hangar for the large modules yet, though it should be done this fall;

One key item on tap for Bigelow Aerospace this year is constructing the A-3 building, Bigelow noted, a structure that will offer 265,000 square feet and is destined to be an assembly-line facility for the company's spacecraft.

* http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20040250503.pdf

(one example - variants are shown)

« Last Edit: 01/29/2010 06:40 AM by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 2
« Reply #161 on: 01/29/2010 06:24 AM »
Those designs are all for Earth gravity.  Under thrust the bottom will be at the back.  Under rotation the bottom will be the outside with the centre column as the top.

The radius of these modules is way too small for rotational gravity, and there is no evidence that Bigelow is considering that anyway.
JRF

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 42
  • South coast of England
« Reply #162 on: 01/29/2010 07:14 AM »

The radius of these modules is way too small for rotational gravity, and there is no evidence that Bigelow is considering that anyway.

There are quite a lot of people who want to add artificial gravity to Mars transfer vehicles.  Even 0.1 g would send the body's liquids towards the feet.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #163 on: 01/29/2010 07:27 AM »
True, but unless you rearrange the guts then put a Sundancer/BA330 at either end of a tether (or hub extensions) and rotate them around a central hub/power bus it ain't gonna happen with the current setup.  Even then you need to worry about the stresses on the works when you fire the engine(s), unless it's a high SI unit like VASIMR.
« Last Edit: 01/29/2010 07:29 AM by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Spacenuts

• Liked: 0
« Reply #164 on: 01/29/2010 09:47 AM »
Question.  If I needed a minimum of  1,000 cubic meters of space and lets say three BA-330's qualifies for arguments sake. Due to what must be a nightmare of trying to "fold in" the thick shell, would it be enough of an advantage to have a larger diameter "onion shell" process to overcome the in space assembly disadvantages?  I was thinking specifically if you could separate the layers into (for this theoretical scenario) say three parts, then you could more efficiently pack each launch and end up with more volume. Or am I way off base?

Tags: