Author Topic: Spaceflight Magazine  (Read 31958 times)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 423
Re: Spaceflight Magazine
« Reply #30 on: 05/18/2011 12:47 PM »
     I canceled my subscription 10 or more years ago when a sudden drop in picture quality/variety made it not worth the money.  Since then I have seen nothing really interesting or new in the few issues I've browsed through at my local newsagent.  I want to see historic Russian stuff particularly, but despite the collapse of the USSR nothing's changed on that front, sadly.

The image quality did drop around that time.  Around 2005 or so it got better and I think it's been pretty good since then.

There was also a lot of Russian stuff in the latter 1990s, and has not been since.  The reason is that the people who produced that have gone on to other things.

Offline aurora899

• Liked: 0
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #31 on: 05/18/2011 05:52 PM »
I missed this a little earlier, so I'll comment on it now.

2-My only criticism is that on occasion some of the articles are too long. I remember one that ran to 10-12 pages and took up about 25% of the magazine! The Editor would probably have been better splitting that piece across two issues.

2-I agree with your specific complaint (don't know which issue or article you are referring to).  But I'd also point out that this is one area where magazines are still superior to the internet.  You can still get long-form articles in newspapers and magazines.  The kind of articles that go into a subject in great depth.  The internet just doesn't do that stuff.  I like Spaceflight because every so often they do a big article with lots of photos and you're not going to find that kind of thing on the internet, or at least not at the same quality.

I have a feeling that the 10-12 page article might have been about the Indian Space Program. But, it was a good 2-3 years ago, and I could well be wrong.
The point you make about Spaceflight providing in depth features on topics not found elsewhere is, though, a good one. I buy a number of magazines and it’s interesting (actually ‘depressing’ would be a better word) to see how many of them have “dumbed-down” in recent years. There seem to be far more photographs (which is not necessarily a bad thing) while articles and features tend to be much shorter (some no more than a page). So despite the various criticisms levelled at Spaceflight magazine, at least dumbing-down is not one of them.

As I said in my earlier posting, I haven’t seen Spaceflight for a while but I’d be interested to know whether there has been any reduction in the number of pages. The UK economy is emerging from its deepest recession for years, and I’ve noticed that rather than hiking cover prices, many publishers are subtly slimming their magazines down!
« Last Edit: 05/18/2011 05:53 PM by aurora899 »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 05/18/2011 08:49 PM »
I have not noticed a reduction in the number of pages in Spaceflight.

As I mentioned earlier, photo (reproduction) quality was very poor for awhile, and has improved considerably.

You are right about how magazines in general have gone to shorter articles.  They are doing various things to try and maintain a readership that is used to the internet.  There is also good reason to believe that peoples' brains are being rewritten.  We are getting trained to be scatterbrained, rather than focus on single topics for long periods of time.

Offline brueyh1976

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Liked: 1
  • Southampton, UK
    • Bruce Hunter - YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 05/21/2011 12:28 AM »
They used to get it on subscription where I used to work. I was the only one who read it. I did consider subscribing but couldn't afford it at the time. I did find it very interesting and will give the subscription it's due consideration :)
"Disovery, Houston - Roll Program"  "Roger Roll Discovery"

"Let’s light this fire one more time, Mike, and witness this great nation at its best"

Chris Ferguson, Atlantis STS-135 commander, to launch director Mike Leinbach right before the lift-off of the final Space Shuttle mission, 8 July 2011

Offline Nittany Lion

• State College, PA
« Reply #34 on: 05/21/2011 01:13 AM »
We are getting trained to be scatterbrained, rather than focus on single topics for long periods of time.

I am in the process of creating several college courses for Internet delivery. A requirement is that all videos, narrated PowerPoints, example exercises, and sample solutions must be no longer than five minutes, as that is the maximum attention span of college-age people.

So, in twenty years, when you visit your doctor, your lawyer, your financial adviser, or your clergy-person, you’ll need to be able to conduct your business in five minutes or less.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 350
  • Houten, The Netherlands
« Reply #35 on: 06/03/2011 03:17 PM »
July 2011 issue (on sale from 8 June 2011)

http://www.spaceflightmagazine.com/pages/latest-issue.html

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: 07/13/2011 03:24 PM »
August 2011 issue (on sale from 10 July 2011)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 07/13/2011 05:58 PM »
It's a nicely-done magazine, filled with lots of interesting info. If you don't subscribe, you should.

Offline astronut7

« Reply #38 on: 07/17/2011 12:37 PM »
I am still waiting for my June 2011 and August 2011 issues to arrive in the mail. 
I, too, do agree that Spaceflight by the BIS is a very good magazine.  I enjoy reading the articles.
Thank you.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: 08/05/2011 10:22 PM »
Sept 2011 issue (on sale from 10 August 2011)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 08/05/2011 10:26 PM »
Thanks for the post. I don't have anything in the September issue, but will probably have at least one article in the October issue. It's on the Edwards AFB rocket test stands and was discussed in another thread here a few months ago.

This article, in the new issue, caught my eye:

New space movies
Spaceflight’s Tony Quine and Chinese film maker Xu Weilong go behind the scenes for an inside look at two new space movie dramas filmed in China and Russia released this summer. Both films attempt to bring a new degree of realism to the subject by combining attention to detail with the latest movie technology

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 08/05/2011 10:27 PM »
And she is easy on the eyes too.

Offline LindemHerz

« Reply #42 on: 08/06/2011 02:54 AM »
The name is Li Niu, if you wanna look her up. The movie is called "Feitian" (Flying), though its official English name is "Shenzhou 11."
Trailer here:
v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjgxMjQ0MTk2.html
and a video for the theme song with more scenes from the movie here: v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjc5NzY3NzQ4.html

Now, does anybody know if there is anywhere I can buy some of the back issues of Spaceflight without having to import them from the UK to California? Not that I would mind, but I was hoping to get them somewhat faster. Amazon.com apparently doesn't even know they exist.

P.S.: Does anybody know how can I post the links without actually embedding the video players to the post? No formatting but erasing the http:// from the addresses prevented the movies from appearing
« Last Edit: 08/06/2011 03:00 AM by LindemHerz »

Online Chris Bergin

• NSF Managing Editor
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 5906
« Reply #43 on: 08/06/2011 03:23 AM »
Thanks for the post. I don't have anything in the September issue, but will probably have at least one article in the October issue. It's on the Edwards AFB rocket test stands and was discussed in another thread here a few months ago.

This article, in the new issue, caught my eye:

New space movies
Spaceflight’s Tony Quine and Chinese film maker Xu Weilong go behind the scenes for an inside look at two new space movie dramas filmed in China and Russia released this summer. Both films attempt to bring a new degree of realism to the subject by combining attention to detail with the latest movie technology

Looking forward to reading Tony's interview.

Here's one of the actresses he interviewed - Marie de Villepin - who stars in the movie 'Baikonur' - wowzers:

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 08/06/2011 01:01 PM »
Now, does anybody know if there is anywhere I can buy some of the back issues of Spaceflight without having to import them from the UK to California? Not that I would mind, but I was hoping to get them somewhat faster. Amazon.com apparently doesn't even know they exist.

Alas, I know of no US distributor.  Back issues also very rarely show up on eBay. I suspect that this is for two reasons: the magazine has a small print run, and a lot of people I know tend to treat Spaceflight as a keeper--they keep their back issues for reference, etc.

Tags: