Author Topic: Space Ship Two - General Thread  (Read 319665 times)

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 67
Re: Space Ship Two - Updates
« Reply #675 on: 10/16/2012 12:44 AM »
This is no news whatsoever.

Offline Retired Downrange

• Liked: 0
  • Turks & Caicos Islands
« Reply #676 on: 10/16/2012 01:19 AM »
From the article:

LauncherOne will be a two-stage vehicle capable of carrying up to 500 pounds (225 kilograms) to orbit for prices below $10 million. The rocket will be launched from Virgin Galactic’s proven WhiteKnightTwo, the uniquely capable aircraft also designed to carry SpaceShipTwo aloft to begin her suborbital missions. Thanks to the extreme flexibility of air launch, Virgin Galactic’s customers will enjoy reduced infrastructure costs in addition to the wide range of possible launch locations tailored to individual mission requirements and weather conditions. Branson and other senior executives announced that work has already begun on the vehicle.

Several LauncherOne customers were recognized at the event, representing a broad range of commercial satellite applications. Those named were Skybox Imaging (Skybox), a Silicon Valley-based firm that recently announced it has raised $91 million for a high resolution imaging constellation; GeoOptics Inc., a U.S.-based company developing a constellation of non-imaging remote sensing satellites; Spaceflight, Inc., the aggregator and integrator of small satellites; and Planetary Resources, Inc., the newly-announced, billionaire-backed asteroid mining venture.

Online Orbiter

• Liked: 128
  • Florida
« Reply #677 on: 10/16/2012 01:33 AM »
This is no news whatsoever.

The part were they're talking powered flights by the end of the year is news, at least to me, I hadn't heard about it and this thread has been empty for a few weeks so.  ;)
Attended space missions: STS-114, STS-124, STS-128, STS-135, Atlas V "Curiosity", Delta IV Heavy NRO-15, Atlas V MUOS-2.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #678 on: 10/16/2012 04:59 AM »
"Today during the Farnborough International Air Show 2012, Virgin Galactic, the world’s first commercial spaceline, announced “LauncherOne”, a new air-launched rocket specifically designed to deliver small satellites into orbit. With substantial funding already raised from Virgin Galactic’s partner aabar Investments PJS, and with commercial flights of this new orbital launch vehicle expected to begin by 2016, Virgin Galactic aims to offer frequent and dedicated launches at the world’s lowest prices. Virgin Galactic also announced that four private companies have already put down deposits as future LauncherOne customers, expressing their intent to purchase a total of several dozen launches, which would exceed the level of early commitment of any previous new launch vehicle."

Offline spectre9

• Liked: 28
  • Australia
« Reply #679 on: 10/17/2012 01:20 AM »
If you have $90 mill you can afford Falcon 9 yes?

Considering it's a bit better value per kilo...

I really don't see launcher one working out. They will just create business to be stolen.

Offline QuantumG

• Liked: 969
  • Australia
« Reply #680 on: 10/17/2012 01:36 AM »
$10 mil is less than $90 mil.

If you want to compare it to something SpaceX.. which I know everyone loves to do these days.. you should be comparing it to the Falcon 1:

Historically, the Falcon 1 was originally planned to launch about 600 kilograms (1,300 lb) to low-Earth orbit for US$6,000,000 but later declined to approximately 420 kilograms (930 lb) as the price increased to approximately US$9,000,000. The final version of the Falcon 1, the Falcon 1e, was projected to provide approximately 1,000 kilograms (2,200 lb) for US$11 million. The vehicle is now retired.

- Wikipedia.

There's also talk of 3U cubesat launches for ~$400k being a viable market. I don't think XCOR has released any numbers on their nanosat launcher yet.

The key concept to low cost launchers is that some people just want to get a small payload into space and they can't, or prefer not to, for a number of different possible reasons, get a secondary payload slot on a larger launcher.
When someone is wishing for a pony, there's little to be gained by suggesting a unicorn would be ever better.. ya know, unless it's sarcasm.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 214
« Reply #681 on: 10/17/2012 03:45 AM »
Also on the Virgin Galactic page with the (old news) article, earlier this week was the eighth anniversary of the winning of the X-Prize.

Who would have thought that commercial flights would still be a year or two away?
The future isn't what it used to be.

Offline QuantumG

• Liked: 969
  • Australia
« Reply #682 on: 10/17/2012 03:57 AM »
Also on the Virgin Galactic page with the (old news) article, earlier this week was the eighth anniversary of the winning of the X-Prize.

Who would have thought that commercial flights would still be a year or two away?

Me. As soon as they announced they were building a bigger vehicle, a production line for the bigger vehicle even, I said loudly and often that they'd take a decade to fly customers. After 5 years, I started asking if they'd figured out they bit off more than they can chew yet. Virgin Galactic still hasn't acknowledged reality but I think Scaled Composites has.

When someone is wishing for a pony, there's little to be gained by suggesting a unicorn would be ever better.. ya know, unless it's sarcasm.

Offline spectre9

• Liked: 28
  • Australia
« Reply #683 on: 10/17/2012 04:18 AM »
Lack of updates about RM concerns me.

If they want to show that this is safe/reliable/the best option being all hush hush isn't the way to do it.

Offline JBF

• Liked: 209
« Reply #684 on: 10/19/2012 11:19 PM »
New article up at Wired http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/10/spaceshiptwo-oxidizer-tank/ including pictures of the oxidizer tank install.

If it's not on fire, it's a software problem.

Offline Garrett

• Liked: 56
  • France
« Reply #685 on: 10/21/2012 11:25 AM »
and an article by Jeff Foust:
Virgin and XCOR progress towards powered test flights
http://www.newspacejournal.com/2012/10/20/virgin-and-xcor-progress-towards-powered-test-flights/

Includes a link to a blog post on the corporate Virgin website by Sir Richard Branson:
 http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/blog/rocket-men

Attached are the other two images released by Virgin
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Offline john smith 19

• Liked: 247
  • Afore you post. Google sci.space.* first
  • Everyplaceelse
« Reply #686 on: 10/23/2012 04:17 PM »
From the article:

LauncherOne will be a two-stage vehicle capable of carrying up to 500 pounds (225 kilograms) to orbit for prices below $10 million.

Note that's about $20klb which is actually *more* expensive than the Pegasus XL design the last time I checked ($15k/lb).

Given you're dealing with a launch plane *designed* for the air launch of a 2nd stage and a 2 stage liquid fuelled LV this is frankly *quite* depressing.

It doesn't even have the option to be launched outside the US as I'm pretty sure it would become *deeply* entangled in the madness of ITAR with a US built plane and rocket stages.  :(
"Solids are a branch of fireworks, not rocketry. :-) :-) ", Henry Spencer 1/28/11  Averse to bold? You must be in marketing."It's all in the sequencing" K. Mattingly.  STS-Keeping most of the stakeholders happy most of the time.

Offline Robotbeat

• Liked: 1491
  • Minnesota
« Reply #687 on: 10/23/2012 04:48 PM »
Cost per launch matters. Sometimes more than cost per kilogram.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline john smith 19

• Liked: 247
  • Afore you post. Google sci.space.* first
  • Everyplaceelse
« Reply #688 on: 10/23/2012 08:00 PM »
Cost per launch matters. Sometimes more than cost per kilogram.
Certainly. As does being primary rather than secondary payload.
But I'm wondering if the market is there for this at this *price*.
"Solids are a branch of fireworks, not rocketry. :-) :-) ", Henry Spencer 1/28/11  Averse to bold? You must be in marketing."It's all in the sequencing" K. Mattingly.  STS-Keeping most of the stakeholders happy most of the time.

Offline Mackilroy

• Liked: 0
« Reply #689 on: 10/26/2012 03:30 PM »
As of July this year LauncherOne had at least four customers, so there is some market for it.

Tags: