Author Topic: How does one become an astronaut?  (Read 8319 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Re: How does one become an astronaut?
« Reply #20 on: 04/25/2012 12:23 am »
This document is more usefully unforgiving, and thus time-saving, than the nasa.gov walled garden.
"Astronaut selection and medical requirements"
http://www.scribd.com/doc/33355307/Astronaut-Selection-and-Medical-Requi

I would find most useful a page that listed probability of course survival as a function of specific named medical / physiological conditions. Name the names, let people off the horn of ivory.

Rocket Science, I'll read your comments twice from now on.
Thank you for the kind words and posting the excellent link which contains specific examples for reflection.

Regards
Robert
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline CitabriaFlyer

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: 04/25/2012 12:59 am »
Hi Victor,
I will share a few thoughts with you.  I am not an astronaut.  Although it was an ambition when I was a teen in the 80s.  I did become a USAF flight surgeon and a pilot as well as a doctor.

1)  First of all thank you for considering visiting the US and considering citizenship.  We are a stronger country because we attract bright folks from all over the planet (like astronauts Andy Thomas and Piers Sellers and Kalpana Chawla and probably others) as well as guys like von Braun and Elon Musk.  So there is definitely a precedent for immigrants to participate in American spaceflight as an astronaut and as a leader in the industry.

2)  To be qualified for a NASA astronaut you will need to have a background in flying (experimental test flight), engineering, science or mathematics.  Advanced degrees (masters or doctorates) are extremely helpful.  Having a degree and demonstrating manual dexterity (whether welding or performing angioplasty or whatever) would be very very helpful.  Bob Stewart (flew the MMU on 41B and also flew on 51J) came to my class at Space Camp in Huntsville, AL and gave the advice to find something you are really passionate about.  Chances are so slim you are probably not going to be an astronaut (like me) but if things break the right way and you have a career you are passionate about you may be competitive.  Because I was interested in the space program I studied hard and stumbled into a career I would not have thought of otherwise and ended up having a pretty good time at it.

3)  A couple of thoughts about flying airplanes and your concerns.  Someone mentioned you could get used to that risk.  Let me expand on that.  I learned to fly at age 16.  My first flight in an airplane was my first lesson.  I was terrified and convinced that death was imminent.  Fortunately, my flight instructor was a very attractive 20 year old girl from Norway so death seemed more palatable than backing out in front of her.  Fortunately I did not die and toward the end of the sortie I was enjoying it.  During the second sortie I was very comfortable and thought flying was the coolest thing in the world.  Later I did spins and didn't have any trouble.  A few years later I worked up to more intense aerobatics to the point I bought an aerobatic airplane.  In the military I flew an F-16 profile in the centrifuge and logged several sorties in a T-38.  Frankly, I bet flying the T-38 is almost as fun if not as much fun as flying the shuttle.  You only get a few spaceflights but you can fly the T-38 a lot.  I am convinced that plane (with which I am totally in love) is the best part about being an astronaut. So try some flying lessons with an open mind.  It is normal to be scared.  In the USAF we see that most air sickness is very transient and most people become comfortable very early in their flight training.

PS.  On the subject of the T-38, anyone interested should get Story Musgrave's book on the NASA Northrop T-38.

Offline Victor

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: 04/25/2012 01:21 am »
Thanks a lot for your help. You have been very helpful. To be honest, becoming an astronaut did not only seem mind-bogglingly difficult but also possibly dreadful at the end. I will also consider computer related jobs at NASA from now on. I intend to score big on my final exams before university here, perfect my English, and study Computer Science either in Denmark or America. Then I will gain some experience in the field and apply to NASA. I hope all will go well for me. Please tell me if you have anything to add. Thanks again for your help!

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #23 on: 04/25/2012 03:26 am »
Slightly off topic - isn't Turkey a EU state (or at least close to becoming one)? Have they joined the ESA yet? If yes, you might be interested in contacting ESA for preparations to join a future astronaut selection too.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline aga

• Per aspera ad astra
  • Germany
  • Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 1453
« Reply #24 on: 04/25/2012 05:38 am »
Slightly off topic - isn't Turkey a EU state (or at least close to becoming one)? Have they joined the ESA yet? If yes, you might be interested in contacting ESA for preparations to join a future astronaut selection too.

EU: no... they applied to be a member of eu quite a few years ago, but there are some problems (political and perhaps geographical) between the parties... not sure how soon these problems can be solved...
ESA: no... they signed a cooperation agreement, but nothing more so far...
« Last Edit: 04/25/2012 05:39 am by aga »

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
NASA Astronaut Selection and Training
« Reply #25 on: 04/28/2012 01:18 pm »
Presented at Universidad del Sagrado Corazon in San Juan, Puerto Rico between 26-30 Mar. 2012

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography