Author Topic: Twin SRB CLV Suggestion  (Read 26569 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Twin SRB CLV Suggestion
« Reply #40 on: 06/01/2006 07:16 pm »
Damon Hill - 1/6/2006  1:40 PM

Just supplying the hydrogen for a single CaLV and other normal Cape operations will be interesting enough.  That'll be considerably more cryogen to supply than Saturn V or Shuttle operations ever called for; lots of tank trucks or perhaps a new hydrogen facility constructed for the purpose?  There's been an oxygen plant in nearby Mims since Apollo days.

D-IV Heavy uses a lot of LH2, so it shouldn't be an issue.  The LH2 comes from Louisana

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #41 on: 06/01/2006 07:23 pm »
The Mars missions require a extra CEV/CLV launch to check out the mission module before the mars crew uses it.

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #42 on: 06/02/2006 04:13 am »
I had heard that after the initial automated joining of the heavy payloads, the Mars-bound crew themselves would perform the full checkout prior to their departure.

It was something to do with the psychological benefits of performing their own thorough checkout would help give them a greater sense of confidence in the spacecraft they would be committing their lives to over such a long duration mission.

Either way, I don't think we're going to see the final form of the Mars missions for at least another decade, so all of this is still so incredibly early in the planning stages that it'll probably be unrecognisable by the time the plan is solidified.

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #43 on: 06/16/2006 10:05 pm »
Jim - 1/6/2006  2:03 PM

Damon Hill - 1/6/2006  1:40 PM

Just supplying the hydrogen for a single CaLV and other normal Cape operations will be interesting enough.  That'll be considerably more cryogen to supply than Saturn V or Shuttle operations ever called for; lots of tank trucks or perhaps a new hydrogen facility constructed for the purpose?  There's been an oxygen plant in nearby Mims since Apollo days.

D-IV Heavy uses a lot of LH2, so it shouldn't be an issue.  The LH2 comes from Louisana

How much LH2 is in a Delta IV heavy as compared with what CaLV would have?

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
RE: Twin SRB CLV Suggestion
« Reply #44 on: 06/16/2006 11:51 pm »
bad_astra - 28/5/2006  7:51 PM

In liu of qualifying a 5 segment srb, would resurrecting the idea of the side-by-side stack proposed earlier make more sense now for a clv updated to compensate for lack of ssme's?

Rather then the side-mounted shuttle-c looking thing, the idea would be as such:
Two 4 seg srbs with Shuttle ET with j2-x at the center, with the CEV stack atop it.  Lots of wiggleroom for weight gain.

By keeping the 4 segment solids for the time being, there would still be time to decide to go with a quad 4-segment srb longfellow behemoth for CaLV or continue readying the five segment srb for Ares V use. It would also allow, in the future, the chance to fall back on the 5-segment/J2-X upperstage CLV "stick" if it proved to be more economical (as it almost certainly would). As it is, this wouldn't require much in the way of pad changes and could still be developed quickly, esp with no significant changes to the current SRB's.

We could have no human spaceflight lag at all.

I looked into this awhile back, except I kept the 5 RS-68s. THe problem with that was you were basically building the CaLV. I like your idea, really does sound like mixing the Ariane V with the Shuttle. I did a render in paint using some CaLV images. Please note that center engine in that image is the Vulcan from the Ariane V, just pretend that it is a J-2.

Offline bad_astra

• Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 553
« Reply #45 on: 06/17/2006 01:37 am »
wow!
"Contact Light" -Buzz Aldrin

Offline Jon_Jones

• Orthogonal
  • "Thank God for unanswered prayers," he said humbly
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: 06/17/2006 02:11 pm »
How many crawlers are there? I remember seeing pictures of KSC when SA 500 and/or 501 or 502 were rolling out that had 3 or 4 Saturn V sized Crawlers. are the other two used for parts or do we only see two at a time because of rotations and refurbrishments?
Speed = Life iff Life = Speed

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #47 on: 06/17/2006 02:17 pm »
only 2 crawler transporter were built.  3 LUT's were built and converted into MLP's for shuttle

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 06/30/2006 10:56 pm »
gladiator1332 - 16/6/2006  6:38 PM

bad_astra - 28/5/2006  7:51 PM

In liu of qualifying a 5 segment srb, would resurrecting the idea of the side-by-side stack proposed earlier make more sense now for a clv updated to compensate for lack of ssme's?

Rather then the side-mounted shuttle-c looking thing, the idea would be as such:
Two 4 seg srbs with Shuttle ET with j2-x at the center, with the CEV stack atop it.  Lots of wiggleroom for weight gain.

By keeping the 4 segment solids for the time being, there would still be time to decide to go with a quad 4-segment srb longfellow behemoth for CaLV or continue readying the five segment srb for Ares V use. It would also allow, in the future, the chance to fall back on the 5-segment/J2-X upperstage CLV "stick" if it proved to be more economical (as it almost certainly would). As it is, this wouldn't require much in the way of pad changes and could still be developed quickly, esp with no significant changes to the current SRB's.

We could have no human spaceflight lag at all.

I looked into this awhile back, except I kept the 5 RS-68s. THe problem with that was you were basically building the CaLV. I like your idea, really does sound like mixing the Ariane V with the Shuttle. I did a render in paint using some CaLV images. Please note that center engine in that image is the Vulcan from the Ariane V, just pretend that it is a J-2.

Big Gemini would look nice atop that. Atop Atlas it is ugly

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
« Reply #49 on: 07/23/2006 02:35 am »
Here is an interesting image...that middle launch vehicle looks quite familiar!

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
« Reply #50 on: 07/23/2006 04:16 am »
Made a small update to the original render in order to make it match the above image a bit more:

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 08/18/2006 07:26 pm »
See if you can do Ross's slightly larger DSD version in a big format.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography