Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375442 times)

Offline nadreck

Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #480 on: 06/21/2015 07:19 pm »
For me that bar has never worked in Chrome, but works in Firefox. Got to be some browser/software incompatibility that may have sneaked in more so with some upgraded versions of browsers, but we're due to give the forum a go over with the duster, so good notes.

Remember you can add smilies and such manually. [ the code, such as url ] and ; ) (no gap)

Those always used to work in chrome for me
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #481 on: 06/21/2015 08:14 pm »
Those always worked for me in Chrome on my PC, but stopped working a few days ago. :-/

PS...now these are not working on my iPad with Safari, either.
« Last Edit: 06/22/2015 10:54 pm by Kabloona »

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
« Reply #482 on: 06/25/2015 09:00 pm »
Noticed in the last hour connect times from selecting a thread from either a search , Forums List or unread list is taking close to 30 seconds to complete. 

Tony De La Rosa

edit (including this post that took 30 sec to post onto this thread).
« Last Edit: 06/25/2015 09:02 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #483 on: 06/25/2015 09:11 pm »
Posting fine here. Could be your browser or connection Tony.
« Last Edit: 06/25/2015 09:12 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline catdlr

« Reply #484 on: 06/25/2015 09:19 pm »
Posting fine here. Could be your browser or connection Tony.

I'm fine with other internet sites (especially to sites requiring logons), also fine with using three browsers.  The issue comes selecting threads to read or posting. Issue occurs on all three browsers (IE, Chrome and FF) and on my desktop, laptop and IPad).  After submitting a request I see the connecting message appear on the left bottom of the screen for about 30 seconds and then I'm provided the thread.  I'm installing wireshark to see what else I can identify.  Be back.

Connection Speed Test (IPS Provider to their servers)
Download: 55Mpbs
Upload:  5Mpbs
Latency: 11ms
Jitter: 6ms
« Last Edit: 06/25/2015 09:25 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #485 on: 06/25/2015 11:55 pm »
So that'll be your ISP. We're showing nothing on this side, so it's not the site....and the rule is if we have a problem, there's 10 people saying something within a minute. No one else has reported a problem.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline catdlr

« Reply #486 on: 06/26/2015 12:35 am »
So that'll be your ISP. We're showing nothing on this side, so it's not the site....and the rule is if we have a problem, there's 10 people saying something within a minute. No one else has reported a problem.

Chris,

Understand you comment above.  But please have someone your side check the attachment screen print of the network response for a certain element that fails after waiting 21 seconds.  This error is consistent for any thread selected.
« Last Edit: 06/26/2015 12:36 am by catdlr »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #487 on: 06/26/2015 01:10 am »
I fixed (overrode) the issue by following the advice provided in this link:

http://superuser.com/questions/65377/ajax-googleapis-com-stopping-my-firefox

If you don't need it, black hole it in the hosts file by adding
0.0.0.0 ajax.googleapis.com

Now the threads are showing up with quick response times.  I'll keep this override in effect until I hear otherwise.

Thanks Chris,

Tony De La Rosa
« Last Edit: 06/26/2015 09:48 am by catdlr »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #488 on: 06/26/2015 09:44 am »
Thanks for passing that on in case anyone else ever has that issue! Glad it's resolved for you!

Offline Lourens

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 304
« Reply #489 on: 07/02/2015 07:48 am »
I fixed (overrode) the issue by following the advice provided in this link:

http://superuser.com/questions/65377/ajax-googleapis-com-stopping-my-firefox

If you don't need it, black hole it in the hosts file by adding
0.0.0.0 ajax.googleapis.com

Now the threads are showing up with quick response times.  I'll keep this override in effect until I hear otherwise.
The Local Load Firefox extension may also be of use here, it caches ajax.googleapis.com scripts locally. That should get you the speed-up without breaking web sites that require those scripts.

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
« Reply #490 on: 07/04/2015 08:15 pm »

Banned URLS?

I recently encountered an issue with a url, imgur. The site rewrote it to temp bana. (Temporary ban category a? Temporary banana?) Yet, other variants of it, such as i.imgur, seem to work. (I was trying to link a page containing ASDS photos).

I've done a site search but didn't find an answer, so here's my question; is this just a glitch, which means workarounds are okay, or does the site management prefer no links to imgur pages?

If the latter is the case, what's the management's preferred course of action if a member finds a picture or pictures on imgur that may be helpful to a discussion?

Thanks. 

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #491 on: 07/04/2015 11:35 pm »
HA! That was me! We had a spammer turn up using imgur to post a thread about Chinese shoes or something, returning two days in a row. Was deleted and banned within minutes, but I did a quick censor on his image url to deter (which worked as he never came back) and I forgot to take it off! :)

Censor was to change imgur to "temp ban" in the thing we use to censor swear words.

All good now if you try again!
« Last Edit: 07/04/2015 11:36 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
« Reply #492 on: 07/05/2015 12:32 am »
HA! That was me! We had a spammer turn up using imgur to post a thread about Chinese shoes or something, returning two days in a row. Was deleted and banned within minutes, but I did a quick censor on his image url to deter (which worked as he never came back) and I forgot to take it off! :)

Censor was to change imgur to "temp ban" in the thing we use to censor swear words.

All good now if you try again!

Thanks Chris! And I'm glad you were able to stop the spammer. (my feelings about spammers are entirely, and vitriolically, profane. :))

BTW, seeing as this is the feedback thread, great job on the Falcon loss article!  :)

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 348
« Reply #493 on: 07/07/2015 08:43 pm »
I'm running OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2 on my early 2014, 11-inch Macbook Air and am using Safari version 8.0.4.

I am not able to click and select any changes that can be made to text via the icons above the "Reply" text box (not sure if I said that correctly. The icons/smileys above the box I'm typing in right now don't insert or change my text.). I can click on them and see them like normal, but when I click on them, nothing happens. I can insert manually changes to the text (e.g. [.b.] and such). I even get the dropdown to select a different text color, can select a different color, but it has no effect on the actual text color. In addition, I cannot "Insert Quote" from below. I can click on the link(?), but this results in nothing.

I'm not sure if this is specific to me. It's also not a terrible inconvenience, so if no one else is having this problem, I'll live. :)

Thanks!

EDIT: And I'm not sure how I just managed to cross out everything I just typed...

EDIT2: Figured out how I managed to cross out everything I typed lol. Maybe this whole issue is me being an idiot haha.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2015 08:47 pm by ClaytonBirchenough »
Clayton Birchenough

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #494 on: 07/07/2015 09:57 pm »
I'm running OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2 on my early 2014, 11-inch Macbook Air and am using Safari version 8.0.4.

I am not able to click and select any changes that can be made to text via the icons above the "Reply" text box (not sure if I said that correctly. The icons/smileys above the box I'm typing in right now don't insert or change my text.). I can click on them and see them like normal, but when I click on them, nothing happens. I can insert manually changes to the text (e.g. [.b.] and such). I even get the dropdown to select a different text color, can select a different color, but it has no effect on the actual text color. In addition, I cannot "Insert Quote" from below. I can click on the link(?), but this results in nothing.

I'm not sure if this is specific to me. It's also not a terrible inconvenience, so if no one else is having this problem, I'll live. :)

Thanks!

EDIT: And I'm not sure how I just managed to cross out everything I just typed...

EDIT2: Figured out how I managed to cross out everything I typed lol. Maybe this whole issue is me being an idiot haha.

You mean this?

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32793.msg1392147#msg1392147

It's a browser thing. You can manually do it, but the clicking on icons for things like smilies seems to have become outdated on some browsers.

Likely will be fixed the next time we update the forum software.

But yeah, manually enter things, such as bold would be

[ b] [ /b] - not gaps. Thus bold
« Last Edit: 07/07/2015 09:57 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
« Reply #495 on: 07/08/2015 03:22 pm »
Can anything be done to fix the quick search bar issue where it returns only first match instead of all matches when used to search within a thread. I am using ctrl+F with 'print' to search threads at the moment as suggested back in thread. It kinda works but linking to exact post is troublesome as one has to hunt for nearby quoted posts...

Thanks
« Last Edit: 07/08/2015 03:23 pm by Ohsin »
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline MP99

« Reply #496 on: 07/13/2015 08:21 am »

Thanks!

You mean this?

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32793.msg1392147#msg1392147

It's a browser thing. You can manually do it, but the clicking on icons for things like smilies seems to have become outdated on some browsers.

Likely will be fixed the next time we update the forum software.

But yeah, manually enter things, such as bold would be

[ b] [ /b] - not gaps. Thus bold

If clicking the buttons doesn't work, do the keyboard shortcuts, EG control+B to bold?

cheers, Martin

Offline tea monster

• Across the Universe
    • My ArtStation Portfolio
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #497 on: 07/17/2015 04:22 pm »
I'm having this problem with Google Chrome on Windows 7. I think someone already reported this, but I'm just confirming it's still ongoing.

Online mtakala24

« Reply #498 on: 07/31/2015 04:34 pm »
Is it just me... but a great deal of last read posts have reverted to sometime in May? Clicking the new -button next to the thread title, I'll get to read posts from May "as new" and then realizing that the new posts are actually on the last pages of the thread.

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
« Reply #499 on: 07/31/2015 04:48 pm »
Does this site have any plans to support the iOS 9 news feature?
https://www.apple.com/news/
https://developer.apple.com/news-publisher/

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography