Author Topic: WATCH THIS VIDEO: We Are The Explorers  (Read 32836 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
Re: WATCH THIS VIDEO: We Are The Explorers
« Reply #41 on: 03/01/2012 02:10 am »
NASA should consider how they can somewhat change what they do in order to fit in with what a PSA is for.

Again - I love the enthusiasm but I don't think we're matching what happens in the real world. PSAs go into the slots that TV stations can't sell. If they can't sell them, it's because people don't watch during that timeframe. Think 3am in between informercials. So all the work and effort NASA puts into making a PSA benefits the drunk guy who forgot to turn his TV off after crashing on the couch.

Offline STS Tony

• Extreme Veteran
  • Los Angeles
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #42 on: 03/01/2012 02:59 am »
Great video! Much better than SpaceX hoping fat cats have a heart attack music videos.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #43 on: 03/01/2012 03:02 am »
NASA should consider how they can somewhat change what they do in order to fit in with what a PSA is for.

Again - I love the enthusiasm but I don't think we're matching what happens in the real world. PSAs go into the slots that TV stations can't sell. If they can't sell them, it's because people don't watch during that timeframe. Think 3am in between informercials. So all the work and effort NASA puts into making a PSA benefits the drunk guy who forgot to turn his TV off after crashing on the couch.
That wasn't really my point. PSA's are about things that are relevant to people or are used to help enlist the public (peace corp, more education, etc). NASA should make itself relevant to the public (and I don't mean dumbing down to the level of the public) and find ways that the public can help NASA's goals.

Though in general, I kind of agree with what Jeff Greason said yesterday:

Jeff Foust @jeff_foust
Greason: contrarian when it comes to how to make public more interested in space; when we do interesting things, public will care. #NSRC2012
https://twitter.com/#!/jeff_foust/status/174600044463390721
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline carlosdiazjr

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #44 on: 03/01/2012 04:00 am »
What a fantasic and inspiring video!  I've already put a link to it on my Facebook account...

Offline Mark Max Q

• Going Supersonic
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #45 on: 03/01/2012 04:07 am »
This video is full of win!

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #46 on: 03/01/2012 04:12 am »
Very nice video. 

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #47 on: 03/01/2012 04:27 am »
I hope NASA put a clause in the COTS agreements, CRS contracts and CCiCap agreements requiring the spacecraft to have a NASA symbol.

Television pictures of the word 'NASA' coming towards the ISS is a simple way of showing that NASA is back.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #48 on: 03/01/2012 06:21 pm »
It's doing very well on youtube. 12,000 views within 24 hours.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Beemer

• USA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #49 on: 03/01/2012 11:23 pm »
I don't think NASA does anywhere near the job it needs to be doing with respect to informing John & Jane Average American Citizen especially when there are a lot of other things out there vying for their attention

This has come up before... That's not their job. The FAA doesn't put out ads plugging their next-gen air traffic control. Coast Guard doesn't spend money talking about their new ship purchases. GAO doesn't develop a PSA to talk about improvements they are making when printing their reports...

IMO NASA is not viewed by average Americans as having the importance/value of the Coast Guard or the FAA to use your examples. NASA is something nice to have but not a necessity, in other words.

So IMO NASA has to sell itself to the public if it is going to get the money for its budget whether that function is in their charter or not. And if it isn't why does NASA even have a PAO????
Ride, Sally Ride! In memory of Sally Ride [1951-2012] America's first woman astronaut

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #50 on: 03/01/2012 11:36 pm »
NASA is something nice to have but not a necessity, in other words.

Of course, no-one in the advocacy community seems able to make the argument that NASA is a necessity either. Closest they get is inspiring kids to do their math homework and analogies to ancient China burning their ships of exploration. If we can't make a good bit of propaganda, what makes you think NASA can?

There's no strong philosophy for why there should be a state-run space program. There's some hollow justifications which we can sing when we're asked, but attempts to actually convince fall on deaf ears because, honestly, it's just something we all find awesome and if you don't understand then you never will, no matter what we say.

Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline grakenverb

• New York
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #51 on: 03/01/2012 11:53 pm »
Excellent video, hopefully those who created it will be rewarded with an increased budget!  If those responsible are reading NSF.com, perhaps you could include a few clips of the hard-working men and women who are actually building the space vehicles of the future.  In this environment of high unemployment, uneasiness, and uncertainty, images of hard working fellow citizens and their families would go a long way toward building support for the space program. 

Offline Cinder

• Liked: 229
  • Likes Given: 1077
« Reply #52 on: 03/02/2012 01:33 am »
Great video! Much better than SpaceX hoping fat cats have a heart attack music videos.
Gotta keep a variety of approaches then.  Because I find the SpaceX vids much better.  Not that the grungier soundtrack is hypnotic to me or anything, but the "SpaceX" method just gets straight to the point without endless embellishing.   

I think the real root problem is that at this point we're just too early on the path to space.  There just isn't much to "sell".  A Catch-22 just like orbital access economics, once again.
« Last Edit: 03/02/2012 01:34 am by Cinder »
NEC ULTIMA SI PRIOR

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #53 on: 03/02/2012 01:40 am »
too early on the path to space.  There just isn't much to "sell".

Huh? It's been nearly 55 years since Sputnik.. how much further down the path do you want to be? If anything, you should be arguing that we're too far down the path to space for people to still be excited. We've living in the future and, for the vast majority of observers, it is boring.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #54 on: 03/02/2012 01:42 am »
NASA is something nice to have but not a necessity, in other words.

Of course, no-one in the advocacy community seems able to make the argument that NASA is a necessity either....
Asteroid protection. Yes, it's in NASA's charter.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #55 on: 03/02/2012 01:42 am »
To put it tersely, government agencies cannot buy ads.  It's actually way more complicated than that, but it would take too long to explain and I would probably misstate part of it.  Recruiting, yes.  Making services known, yes.  Straight up ad time or space, no.  However, videos can be made and put on youtube or the NASA web site.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #56 on: 03/02/2012 01:51 am »

What are great argument.

"We need NASA because an asteroid could crash into the Earth one day.."

"Wow! How cool! What is NASA doing to protect us from asteroids?"

"Umm.. uhhh.. well.. they're making some really important databases, and, umm.."

If anything, this sounds like a great argument against human spaceflight, and even planetary science. Why is NASA wasting time on other things when the imminent threat of asteroids haunts our dreams at night. Call your Congressman today!

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #57 on: 03/02/2012 02:01 am »
So IMO NASA has to sell itself to the public

NASA is not allowed to. End of story.

And if it isn't why does NASA even have a PAO????

The same reason that the FAA in my above story has a PAO. PAO's put out information. They don't "sell" or purchase advertising time, because they can't. It's illegal.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #58 on: 03/02/2012 02:26 am »

What are great argument.

"We need NASA because an asteroid could crash into the Earth one day.."

"Wow! How cool! What is NASA doing to protect us from asteroids?"

"Umm.. uhhh.. well.. they're making some really important databases, and, umm.."

If anything, this sounds like a great argument against human spaceflight, and even planetary science. Why is NASA wasting time on other things when the imminent threat of asteroids haunts our dreams at night. Call your Congressman today!
That's not the only reason why NASA exists. But if you haven't noticed, the Obama administration has pivoted NASA HSF toward NEO missions in the medium term (which compliments the PHO-defense project, even if it does not help it directly). It's something that more directly feels relevant to the population since many have seen disaster films (yeah, I know), probably heard that dinosaurs were wiped out by an asteroid, etc. A better argument than merely beating the Ruskies somewhere, at least.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #59 on: 03/02/2012 03:30 am »
That's not the only reason why NASA exists. But if you haven't noticed, the Obama administration has pivoted NASA HSF toward NEO missions in the medium term (which compliments the PHO-defense project, even if it does not help it directly). It's something that more directly feels relevant to the population since many have seen disaster films (yeah, I know), probably heard that dinosaurs were wiped out by an asteroid, etc. A better argument than merely beating the Ruskies somewhere, at least.

Yawn, we're going over this again? The asteroid mission was simply the only alternative available to push around the time. The momentum started over two years prior to the announcement of the Constellation cancellation:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0801/18avweek/

It has nothing to do with planetary protection and the public knows it. Even the most gullible ask "why would you send humans to do that?" without any prompting because they know humans are the wrong tool for the job. It makes for a nice movie but even children recognize that this is fiction.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography