Author Topic: Race to Mars - a turn-based space simulator game  (Read 18766 times)

Offline Velomir

• Warsaw, Poland
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 1
Race to Mars - a turn-based space simulator game
« on: 06/27/2013 08:08 pm »
Hi. I am happy to announce the start of the Race to Mars space company tycoon sim on Kickstarter. The game is developed by the INTERMARUM software company from Opole, Poland with the scientific support of the Kosmonauta.net company.

Check it out at the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/intermarum/race-to-mars

Main website: http://intermarum.com/race-to-mars/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RaceToMars

From the project description site:

Race To Mars is a turn-based, space company simulation game. Become the head of a newly created “New Space” company whose goal is to establish a colony on Mars. You begin as a start-up and develop cutting edge aerospace technologies to reach orbit. Flying beyond the vicinity of Earth, blaze the trail into space and leave the competition far behind on your way to victory.

Our game aims at achieving two goals: promoting the outer space industry and satisfying all fans of economy games. Race To Mars combines the realism of a space-port management sim and approachable gameplay. We assure you that both subject enthusiasts and casual gamers will find this mixture highly entertaining. Our priority is to make an approachable game without compromising its key economic and strategic features.

On the main game screen, there will be the firm’s HQ and additional buildings related to the company’s activities. Most of the buildings will be created during the game, in the development phase of various projects, both major and minor ones. For example, a medium-size launch pad will be developed during R&D activities related to the medium-size rocket.

As an important game element, the player will have to interact with National Space and Air Office, the military, scan new market offers and monitor the activity of competitors. The authors of the game propose a simplified system called “the market”.
--

I am part of the Kosmonauta.net team supporting the game development, so you can ask me some questions as well :-)
« Last Edit: 06/27/2013 08:08 pm by Velomir »

Online Chris Bergin

Re: Race to Mars - a turn-based space simulator game
« Reply #1 on: 06/27/2013 08:13 pm »
Looks really cool! And so everyone is aware, NSF is supporting this effort.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #2 on: 06/27/2013 09:25 pm »
Very cool. I'm guessing this was directly inspired by Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space?
« Last Edit: 06/27/2013 09:25 pm by NovaSilisko »

Offline Velomir

• Warsaw, Poland
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: 06/27/2013 09:26 pm »
Yes, it was :-)

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #4 on: 06/27/2013 09:28 pm »
I wish you luck, BARIS was awesome and this looks like it will be a great spiritual sequel to it.

Offline LooZ

• Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #5 on: 06/27/2013 11:35 pm »
Hi, my name is Simon, and i'm owner of INTERMARUM ;) For sure we need your support, not only by throwing cash in us (but we need it too! :)) but also by spread the good word about us and Race To Mars.

If you have any questions about game features, feel free to ask. We are here for you! :)

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #6 on: 06/27/2013 11:40 pm »
This looks really cool, I'll be sure to put in a pledge once I get to my home computer.

Are you planning on having a multi-path tech tree, e.g. heavy-lift vs. medium-lift with depots, ISRU vs non-ISRU, inflatable vs rigid modules, etc?
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Offline LooZ

« Reply #7 on: 06/27/2013 11:59 pm »
Yes, we did quite a extensive survey of exisiting and future technologies. we aim to provide many different technologies.

Offline Maquis

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: 06/28/2013 12:29 am »
Good day folks, I also am part of this project, however from the kosmonauta.net side, so mostly tech support. Yes, we did consider various options for payload delivery and as such all important ones should be reflected in the game.

Offline Andy DC

• Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 156
« Reply #9 on: 06/28/2013 12:52 am »
I look forward to more details. You need a better video on your kickstarter page, as you don't show much, but you say more is coming. Looking forward to that!

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #10 on: 06/28/2013 01:39 am »
Yes, we did quite a extensive survey of exisiting and future technologies. we aim to provide many different technologies.

Would you be interested in feedback from folks in this forum on the technologies and technology path?
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #11 on: 06/28/2013 01:52 pm »
Very good start with 63 backers.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline LooZ

« Reply #12 on: 06/28/2013 02:25 pm »
neilh: Sure! :)

Chris, thanks. We still could better.. ;)

Offline mrmandias

• US
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #13 on: 06/28/2013 06:56 pm »
BARIS was oodles of fun.  I just donated.  This looks like an awesome complement to Kerbal for the space nut or the gaming fan.

Offline LooZ

« Reply #14 on: 06/29/2013 12:43 am »
Thanks! It's extremely important for us to get some more attention.

You could aid us by telling your friends about the project and supporting us on forums or social networking sites. Do not hesitate to comment on our Kickstarter and our updates! :)

If you have the time, we would like you to click the "share" button on the KickTraq website -
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/intermarum/race-to-mars/

or "yes" here - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=148496621

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #15 on: 06/29/2013 12:52 am »
Looks awesome. I pledged using the Paypal button. Why Kickstarter has different payments for US vs UK is beyond me. Why they don't just integrate Paypal for everywhere, likewise.

Good luck!
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline LooZ

« Reply #16 on: 06/29/2013 04:37 pm »
Our second update just went up, in which you can find a translated interview from a Polish gaming site.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/intermarum/race-to-mars/posts/523778

Offline Archer

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: 06/29/2013 05:37 pm »
Unity engine is able to build builds for an Xbox, and as a fellow game developer I strongly recommend you to port your game on Xbox too.
Only about ~10%-15% of gamers play on PC.

Good luck!
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering. (c) R. A. Heinlein

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #18 on: 06/29/2013 06:40 pm »
Looks awesome. I pledged using the Paypal button. Why Kickstarter has different payments for US vs UK is beyond me. Why they don't just integrate Paypal for everywhere, likewise.

Good luck!

I was trying to figure out why it was asking me about pounds instead of USD. I'm used to paying with Amazon Payments or PayPal

But I'm in, and I posted to FB too. Good luck!
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline LooZ

« Reply #19 on: 06/30/2013 10:15 am »
Archer - we have been thinking about this, but it would require additional funds for X360 licensing and rebuilding the interface so it would work well with consoles. In any case, if the Kickstarter campaign succeeds - why not?

Lar - it's a matter of bureaucracy between Kickstarter and european companies.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography