Author Topic: Wayne Hale sets up his own blog site  (Read 331455 times)

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 988
Re: Wayne Hale sets up his own blog site
« Reply #520 on: 05/18/2017 11:37 pm »
It's a good reminder to view the media with a healthy degree of skepticism...

Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect works as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward-reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story-and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read with renewed interest as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about far-off Palestine than it was about the story you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #521 on: 07/28/2017 02:20 am »
Paul

Offline Oli

• Liked: 605
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #522 on: 07/29/2017 10:16 pm »
Another entry.

Game Changing Technology

https://waynehale.wordpress.com/2017/07/28/game-changing-technology/

Such a weird article.

USS Monitor vs. CSS Virginia was the first battle between ironclads, but the French and British navies were already operating ironclads for years at the time. Hardly a game changing invention by a "truly crazy revolutionary".

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 1882
« Reply #523 on: 07/30/2017 02:32 am »
Another entry.

Game Changing Technology

Such a weird article.

USS Monitor vs. CSS Virginia was the first battle between ironclads, but the French and British navies were already operating ironclads for years at the time. Hardly a game changing invention by a "truly crazy revolutionary".

The article is about defining what a game changing technology is, and used the example of the USS Monitor.
John Ericsson’s design of the USS Monitor was innovative in the way it combined existing technologies.
Of course, it was also in the right place at the right time to cause the entire world to take notice.
Timing is perhaps an important element of that definition.

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 966
« Reply #524 on: 07/30/2017 03:21 am »
Another entry.

Game Changing Technology

Such a weird article.

The article is about defining what a game changing technology is, and used the example of the USS Monitor.
John Ericsson’s design of the USS Monitor was innovative in the way it combined existing technologies.
Of course, it was also in the right place at the right time to cause the entire world to take notice.

You could also say the Monitor was a failed application of game changing technology. IIRC, there were no viewports in the rotating turret and no orientating markings inside, and despite communication from the pilothouse, they were reduced to guessing when to fire.

If you ever get the chance to visit Newport News, make sure you visit the USS Monitor Center. http://www.monitorcenter.org/
« Last Edit: 07/30/2017 03:28 am by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #525 on: 07/30/2017 04:35 am »
Another entry.

Game Changing Technology

Such a weird article.

Just goes by the info on wikipedia, this "years" is actually 2 years 4 months, a pretty short time. Ironclads themselves are game changing, they may not be invented by a "truly crazy revolutionary" but a "truly crazy revolutionary" demonstrated their effectiveness, something to think about...

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #526 on: 08/03/2017 10:48 am »
Another entry.

Game Changing Technology

Such a weird article.

The British and French ironclads were a lot more conservative; conventional hull designs with incremental armour, propulsion and weapons upgrades compared to all-timber designs. IIRC, Monitor and Virginia were both so innovative that they didn't even look like ships as they were typically visualised at the time. Wayne is probably referring to that when he is talking about game-changing.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline notsorandom

• Ohio
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #527 on: 08/03/2017 01:40 pm »
It was later found out that the Monitor's guns could have handled twice the powder load in the standard charge it was using. Had the captain known this and ordered double charges be loaded the shells would have had enough momentum to penetrate the Virginia's armor easily. There is a lesion there in failing to fully maximize the advantages of new game changing technology because it is not fully understood.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7396
  • Likes Given: 72453
« Reply #528 on: 08/03/2017 06:03 pm »
It was later found out that the Monitor's guns could have handled twice the powder load in the standard charge it was using. Had the captain known this and ordered double charges be loaded the shells would have had enough momentum to penetrate the Virginia's armor easily. There is a lesion there in failing to fully maximize the advantages of new game changing technology because it is not fully understood.

I don't know much about nineteenth century naval technology--but couldn't the USN have been wary of testing cannon to their ultimate failure limits after the "Peacemaker" accident in 1844, aboard the USS Princeton?  (Or, Monitor designer John Ericsson?--He also designed the Princeton.)

(The failed demonstration aboard the Princeton killed Secretary of the State Abel Upshur, Secretary of the Navy Thomas Walker Gilmer, Virgil Maxcy, former Solicitor of the U.S Treasury and charge d'affaires to Belgium, Captain Beverley Kennon, Chief of the Navy's Bureau of Construction, Equipment and Repairs, David Gardiner, New York lawyer and politician, and President John Tyler's slave valet, Armistead.  Other guests were injured.  President Tyler was delayed below deck from attending the demonstration and escaped injury.)

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,NH_0905_Cruise-P1,00.html

Was it even possible back then to test smooth-bore muzzle-loading cannon to determine maximum powder charge or other interesting facts?
« Last Edit: 08/03/2017 08:24 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline GClark

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #529 on: 08/04/2017 05:28 am »
We are heading way OT.  That said...

In the aftermath of the above incident on the Princeton, a regulation had been put in place that no gun could be fired with a full charge until it had been proof-tested.

LT Worden knew the guns had not yet been proof-tested.  They simply had not had time - the guns had been delivered straight from the arsenal to the builders.  The 1st LT/Gunnery Officer asked permission before the battle to use full charges.  Worden cited the reg and said no.  The Monitor thus fought the battle using half-charges.

After the battle, it was fairly obvious that Worden blamed himself for being too pedantic.  During his tenure as CO of Montauk, he was much more aggressive.

Offline DaveH62

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #530 on: 02/08/2018 09:47 pm »
Wayne twitted a congrats on the SpaceX launch and then said time to get busy launching humans. Someone replied ir was Elon’s top priority. Wayne replied, apparently injured, that he was talking about his work.
What is he talking about? He doesn’t work for SLS or blue origin and certainly not Elon and I don’t think Boeing.

For whom and with what is he launching humans into space? Sorry if it’s in the thread, but the thread  seems more focused on 19th century naval technology.

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #531 on: 02/09/2018 02:28 pm »
He now does consulting work for a number of aerospace companies.  I've seen him floating around my building from time to time.

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #532 on: 02/09/2018 03:26 pm »
He now does consulting work for a number of aerospace companies.  I've seen him floating around my building from time to time.
He's part-time for Special Aerospace Services: https://specialaerospaceservices.com/
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #533 on: 02/09/2018 03:34 pm »
He's part-time for Special Aerospace Services: https://specialaerospaceservices.com/
From https://specialaerospaceservices.com/newsroom/business-expansion/
Special Aerospace Services provides engineering, safety and propulsion research expertise to its space and defense customers. The company is currently working on projects including NASA's Space Launch System (SLS).

Offline meberbs

• Liked: 3379
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #534 on: 02/09/2018 03:41 pm »
SAS has pictures of SLS on its front page, and mentions commercial crew on the space section of its website. So that still leaves it unclear exactly what project he was referring to when he said "I was talking about what I'm doing." (Only thing clear from the context is not Dragon 2.)

Online kdhilliard

• Kirk
  • Tanstaa, FL
  • Liked: 1572
  • Likes Given: 4080
« Reply #535 on: 02/10/2018 12:32 am »
News from earlier this week stated that he will be leading accident investigation into December's World View hydrogen balloon explosion, but I doubt that was what he was referring to.

This afternoon he tweeted:
I missed all the excitement, press, and VIPs this week but I had a satisfying time helping commercial crew efforts succeed

Offline heyjonathan

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 147

Offline DeanG1967

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #537 on: 03/14/2018 02:21 pm »
New post 10 March 2018

https://waynehale.wordpress.com/

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #538 on: 03/16/2018 01:08 pm »
STS-121 and those ECO Sensors we all won't forget in a hurry!
« Last Edit: 03/16/2018 01:08 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #539 on: 03/16/2018 01:15 pm »
STS-121 and those ECO Sensors pin connectors we all won't forget in a hurry!

There, fixed that for ya.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography