Author Topic: LIVE: Delta II - GPS IIR-17 - October 17  (Read 52429 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

LIVE: Delta II - GPS IIR-17 - October 17
« on: 10/03/2007 01:43 am »
We don't seem to have a thread for this!

17 October - GPS IIR-17 - Delta II 7925 - Canaveral - 12:23-12:37 GMT

Here's a mission overview pdf:
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline moose

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Delta II - GPS IIR-17 - October 17
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2007 10:33 am »
We just dropped off the GPS spacecraft at the pad an hour ago.
 :laugh:
That telemetry guy

Offline dawei

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 235
Re: Delta II - GPS IIR-17 - October 17
« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2007 11:06 am »
Thanks for the update Moose!

Offline HIPAR

• NE Pa (USA)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2007 12:14 am »
There might be 32 healthy GPS satellites after the October and December launches.  I read somewhere about the Air Force wants to accelerate launches of the satellites that all have been delivered.

Moose -- Has the telemetry ground equipment for Delta II been upgraded?  I didn't see any of those paper chart recorders when you monitored Dawn's departure for the asteroid belt.

---  CHAS

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #4 on: 10/05/2007 12:50 am »
The Telemetery Lab, which Moose was located,is in NASA's Hanger AE (along with the Mission Director's Center and Launch Vehicle Data Centers) and is used for all launch vehicles.  It went through a recent upgrade

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #5 on: 10/05/2007 03:54 am »
Dammit Jim ;)  It's Hangar.  IIRC, it's not needed for Atlas V launches?
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #6 on: 10/05/2007 12:35 pm »
Dammit , I usually point that out.   We are manning it for the next Atlas launch.  On NASA missions, the IE is stuck in the LVDC vs ASOC

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
« Reply #7 on: 10/05/2007 01:44 pm »
I meant it's not required.  Atlas sends data there out of courtesy or contract, whereas Delta needs AE to be up, true?
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
« Reply #8 on: 10/05/2007 05:59 pm »
Air Force tradition.  S/C still get processed there from time to time.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #9 on: 10/05/2007 08:32 pm »
Actually it is building AE

6.   K-STSM-14.1.1   Facilities Handbook for Building AE

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #10 on: 10/11/2007 03:04 pm »
pad rat - 5/10/2007  9:15 AM

Still don't know why it's called a hangar in the first place. You certainly can't put an airplane (or a rocket/missile) in it.

Not AE, but many of the early missiles tested at the Cape were "pilotless bombers" like Matador, Snark, and Navaho that were parked in Cape Canaveral hangars.  Hangars were built for each program.  Matador/Mace, for example, used Hangars A and B.  Navaho occupied Hangars E and F.  I'm guessing that Snark might have used Hangars C and D, but I'm not sure about that.  

By the time the ballistic missile teams arrived, they were building Hangars with letters beyond "H".  Atlas, for example, was in Hangars H, J, K, and N, and it moved into Hangar F after North American's Navaho project folded.  Titan was in T and U.  Thor was in M.  Minuteman was in I and N.  

Here's a USAF photo of a Snark in a Hangar.

- Ed Kyle

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #11 on: 10/11/2007 04:06 pm »
edkyle99 - 11/10/2007  11:04 AM

pad rat - 5/10/2007  9:15 AM

Still don't know why it's called a hangar in the first place. You certainly can't put an airplane (or a rocket/missile) in it.

Not AE, but many of the early missiles tested at the Cape were "pilotless bombers" like Matador, Snark, and Navaho that were parked in Cape Canaveral hangars.  Hangars were built for each program.  Matador/Mace, for example, used Hangars A and B.  Navaho occupied Hangars E and F.  I'm guessing that Snark might have used Hangars C and D, but I'm not sure about that.  

By the time the ballistic missile teams arrived, they were building Hangars with letters beyond "H".  Atlas, for example, was in Hangars H, J, K, and N, and it moved into Hangar F after North American's Navaho project folded.  Titan was in T and U.  Thor was in M.  Minuteman was in I and N.  

Here's a USAF photo of a Snark in a Hangar.

- Ed Kyle

The official term wasn't hangar, they were "missile assembly buildings".  They looked like hangars.  They were a standardized design (standard layout, utilities, commodities, etc) and were built used all over the country.  Every Atlas and Titan base had them.  They provided the same function on the ICBM bases as the cape

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
« Reply #12 on: 10/12/2007 01:43 am »
I just noticed this little tidbit, which I'll have to do some additional checking on to verify.  According to my numbers, presented on the following pages, the next Delta 2 launch will be the 700th Thor-family launch since the first in 1957.  

http://geocities.com/launchreport/logsum.html
http://geocities.com/launchreport/lvsum.html

This includes 24 N-1, N-2, and H-1 NASDA launches from Tanegashima, Japan, using licensed technology, but does not include two pre-launch accidents that destroyed Thor vehicles on their launch pads in the U.S..      

At nearly 700 launch attempts, the Thor series has flown more often than any other large missile or launch vehicle series in the world except R-7/Semyorka, which just completed number 1,725.

Alas, the Thor family, by most reports, will fly no more than 723 times.

- Ed Kyle

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #13 on: 10/15/2007 05:28 pm »
MODERNIZED GPS BUILT BY LOCKHEED MARTIN READY FOR LAUNCH FROM CAPE CANAVERAL

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla., October 15, 2007 -- The fourth modernized Global Positioning System (GPS) Block IIR satellite built by Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] for the U.S. Air Force is set for launch aboard a Delta II rocket on Oct. 17, from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.

The GPS constellation provides critical situational awareness and precision weapon guidance for the military. The worldwide system also supports a wide range of civil, scientific and commercial functions - from air traffic control to the Internet - with precision location and timing information.

"We take great pride in our partnership with the Air Force on this vitally important system," said Don DeGryse, Lockheed Martin's vice president of Navigation Systems, and we look forward to extending our excellent record of delivering advanced navigation capabilities that better serve our warfighters and civil users around the globe."

Lockheed Martin Navigation Systems, Valley Forge, Pa. prime contractor for the GPS IIR program and navigation payload provider ITT of Clifton, N.J. designed and built 21 IIR spacecraft for the Global Positioning Systems Wing, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif.

The final eight spacecraft, designated Block IIR-M, were modernized to enhance operations and navigation signal performance for military and civilian GPS users around the globe. Lockheed Martin is also responsible for launch and flight operations support of the GPS IIR and IIR-M satellites.

The Global Positioning System enables properly equipped users to determine precise time and velocity and worldwide latitude, longitude and altitude to within a few meters. Air Force Space Command's 2nd Space Operations Squadron (2SOPS), based at Schriever Air Force Base, Colo., manages and operates the GPS constellation for both civil and military users.

Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin employs about 140,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The corporation reported 2006 sales of $39.6 billion.

Media Contact:
Steve Tatum,
408-742-7531;
Jacques :-)

Offline HIPAR

• NE Pa (USA)
« Reply #14 on: 10/15/2007 07:46 pm »
'...The final eight spacecraft, designated Block IIR-M, were modernized ...'

I guess this means Delta II gets the honers for four more GPS missions after Wednesday's launch.  Will the next generation of GPS satellites ride the Atlas?

---  CHAS

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #15 on: 10/15/2007 07:59 pm »
Both EELV's

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
« Reply #16 on: 10/16/2007 02:19 am »
moose - 4/10/2007  6:33 AM

We just dropped off the GPS spacecraft at the pad an hour ago.
 :laugh:

Do you have the SVN number for the spacecraft (like SVN 56 etc, as opposed to IIR-17)
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline HIPAR

• NE Pa (USA)
« Reply #17 on: 10/16/2007 02:42 am »

The new satellite is SVN 55.  It will transmit PRN15.

This site has good information about the constellation status and PRN/SVN matters:

http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/sathtml/satinfo.html

---  CHAS

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
« Reply #18 on: 10/16/2007 12:49 pm »
HIPAR - 15/10/2007  10:42 PM

The new satellite is SVN 55.  It will transmit PRN15.

This site has good information about the constellation status and PRN/SVN matters:

http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/sathtml/satinfo.html

---  CHAS

Excellent, thank you!
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
« Reply #19 on: 10/16/2007 06:53 pm »
edkyle99 - 11/10/2007  8:43 PM

I just noticed this little tidbit, which I'll have to do some additional checking on to verify.  According to my numbers, presented on the following pages, the next Delta 2 launch will be the 700th Thor-family launch since the first in 1957.  

This includes 24 N-1, N-2, and H-1 NASDA launches from Tanegashima, Japan, using licensed technology, but does not include two pre-launch accidents that destroyed Thor vehicles on their launch pads in the U.S..      

At nearly 700 launch attempts, the Thor series has flown more often than any other large missile or launch vehicle series in the world except R-7/Semyorka, which just completed number 1,725.

- Ed Kyle

A correction.  I should have said that the Thor series was the second most-oft flown *orbital* launch vehicle.  Missiles like Minuteman and R-14 (used for Kosmos 3/3M orbital launches) have flown more times than Thor, but have performed fewer orbital launches.  

- Ed Kyle

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #20 on: 10/16/2007 06:56 pm »
edkyle99 - 16/10/2007  7:53 PM

- Ed Kyle

A correction.  I should have said that the Thor series was the second most-oft flown *orbital* launch vehicle.  Missiles like Minuteman and R-14 (used for Kosmos 3/3M orbital launches) have flown more times than Thor, but have performed fewer orbital launches.  

- Ed Kyle

Do your figures include Thor sub-orbital launches?

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
« Reply #21 on: 10/16/2007 08:11 pm »
GW_Simulations - 16/10/2007  1:56 PM

edkyle99 - 16/10/2007  7:53 PM

- Ed Kyle

- Ed Kyle

Do your figures include Thor sub-orbital launches?

Yes.  The 700-ish total includes 113 suborbirtal and 586 orbital attempts.  (Only R-7 has performed more orbital attempts.)  Note that nine of the suborbital launches were Thor-Able flights used for reentry tests.  The remainder were Thor missile tests.

- Ed Kyle

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: LIVE: Delta II - GPS IIR-17 - October 17
« Reply #22 on: 10/17/2007 02:19 am »
Moved for live coverage.

Webcast: http://www.ulalaunch.com/index_webcast.html
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
« Reply #23 on: 10/17/2007 04:20 am »
Service tower in motion at around 00:15 EDT.

- Ed Kyle

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
« Reply #24 on: 10/17/2007 04:52 am »
Service tower rolled back by about 01:00 EDT.

- Ed Kyle

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #25 on: 10/17/2007 11:24 am »
We're around the L-60 minute mark.

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
  • Liked: 2
Re: LIVE: Delta II - GPS IIR-17 - October 17
« Reply #26 on: 10/17/2007 11:36 am »
Can I just check that I have my timezones right, the webcast on the ULA website is starting at 1pm BST, right?

Edit: Yep.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #27 on: 10/17/2007 11:51 am »
Yep. That's correct.

As always, we'd love some additional help with the screenshots, given the site is very quiet at the moment...so people are obviously just going to watch this one back, rather than live it seems.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #28 on: 10/17/2007 11:58 am »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #29 on: 10/17/2007 11:59 am »
Chris, how do you pull screen shots out of media player?

Webcast starts in 1 min
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline eeergo

« Reply #30 on: 10/17/2007 11:59 am »

I can do some, good launch time for me :) Any help will be appreciated, however!

Webcast about to start:

-DaviD-

Offline eeergo

« Reply #31 on: 10/17/2007 12:00 pm »
Here we go:
-DaviD-

Offline VB94

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 10/17/2007 12:01 pm »

Offline eeergo

« Reply #33 on: 10/17/2007 12:02 pm »
Weather go for launch. GPS IIR:
-DaviD-

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #34 on: 10/17/2007 12:02 pm »
40 percent on possible weather constraint to launch.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #35 on: 10/17/2007 12:03 pm »
T-20 minutes.

Offline eeergo

« Reply #36 on: 10/17/2007 12:04 pm »
-DaviD-

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #37 on: 10/17/2007 12:05 pm »
Uh oh, we've got a PAO speaking over the calls on the webcast.

Offline eeergo

« Reply #38 on: 10/17/2007 12:07 pm »
And he tends to speak ONLY when the capcoms are also speaking...
-DaviD-

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #39 on: 10/17/2007 12:07 pm »
Weather is go at this time.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #40 on: 10/17/2007 12:09 pm »
Well that woke me up!

ULA's webcast is completely messed up.

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #41 on: 10/17/2007 12:10 pm »
Audio is now sketchy after the feed died momentarily :/

Offline eeergo

« Reply #42 on: 10/17/2007 12:10 pm »
Holding at L-4... and we are being kindly offered a crappy audio :)
-DaviD-

Offline ckiki lwai

• Aerospace engineering student
  • Europe, Belgium
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #43 on: 10/17/2007 12:11 pm »
I can take screenshots with VLC, but they are in .png
Does anybody know how to change that?
Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events. - Robert Heinlein

Offline ETEE

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 10/17/2007 12:12 pm »
Anyone got a url for the webcast please?
Echo Tango Echo Echo

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #45 on: 10/17/2007 12:13 pm »
ETEE - 17/10/2007  1:12 PM

Someone didn't look back one page ;)

http://www.ulalaunch.com/index_webcast.html

They've messed it up though. The audio is terrible.

Offline eeergo

« Reply #46 on: 10/17/2007 12:14 pm »
Final poll underway (since when they say "ready" instead of "go"? :o) :
-DaviD-

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #47 on: 10/17/2007 12:15 pm »
Poll to come out of the hold is go (I can just make out).

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 10/17/2007 12:15 pm »
I'm just waiting for them to just as quickly fix it, blowing my speakers out of the water. That should cause some heads to pop up over the cubical walls.

Still very low audio levels :(
It's your med's!

Offline ckiki lwai

• Europe, Belgium
« Reply #49 on: 10/17/2007 12:16 pm »
Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events. - Robert Heinlein

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #50 on: 10/17/2007 12:17 pm »
I can do a transcript if you want:

"bbbbbbbrrrrr" "po"

"berreeererb" "po"

"pppprbbbbb" "po"

Offline eeergo

« Reply #51 on: 10/17/2007 12:17 pm »
-DaviD-

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #52 on: 10/17/2007 12:18 pm »
I'm using NASA's ELV AE Channel 2 feed - no pretty pictures and details, but they're feeding the launch center audio live with no PAO interruptions.

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #53 on: 10/17/2007 12:19 pm »
ckiki lwai - 17/10/2007  2:11 PM

I can take screenshots with VLC, but they are in .png
Does anybody know how to change that?
Settings->Preferences->Advanced options ticked. Click the Video option on the left and and scroll down to Video snapshot format change it to jpg.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline eeergo

« Reply #54 on: 10/17/2007 12:19 pm »
Out of the hold. 4 mins and counting.
-DaviD-

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: 10/17/2007 12:20 pm »
MKremer - 17/10/2007  7:18 AM

I'm using NASA's ELV AE Channel 2 feed - no pretty pictures and details, but they're feeding the launch center audio live with no PAO interruptions.

And where is this magical PAO free channel?

Offline eeergo

« Reply #56 on: 10/17/2007 12:21 pm »
Vehicule internal, countdown proceeding nominally.
-DaviD-

Offline DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #57 on: 10/17/2007 12:21 pm »
Launch Fan - 17/10/2007  2:20 PM

Here: http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/rrg2.pl?encoder/aevideo2.rm

-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline eeergo

« Reply #58 on: 10/17/2007 12:21 pm »
Topping 100%, first stage pressurized to 'relief'.
-DaviD-

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #59 on: 10/17/2007 12:22 pm »
DaveS - 17/10/2007  7:21 AM

Launch Fan - 17/10/2007  2:20 PM

Here:  http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/rrg2.pl?encoder/aevideo2.rm

Correct - from this page: http://countdown.ksc.nasa.gov/elv/public/  and click on the link below the 2nd image.

Offline eeergo

« Reply #60 on: 10/17/2007 12:24 pm »
-DaviD-

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #61 on: 10/17/2007 12:24 pm »
Past MaxQ
It's your med's!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #62 on: 10/17/2007 12:24 pm »
Past Mach 1 at T+36 seconds.

Offline ckiki lwai

• Europe, Belgium
« Reply #63 on: 10/17/2007 12:24 pm »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #64 on: 10/17/2007 12:24 pm »
Air Starts started, all six jettison
It's your med's!

Offline eeergo

« Reply #65 on: 10/17/2007 12:25 pm »
-DaviD-

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #66 on: 10/17/2007 12:25 pm »
Ground start motor jettisons.

Air Starts ingition.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #67 on: 10/17/2007 12:25 pm »
Air Start Burnout, jettison
It's your med's!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #68 on: 10/17/2007 12:25 pm »
16 miles altitude

4,500 mph.

Offline eeergo

« Reply #69 on: 10/17/2007 12:26 pm »
-DaviD-

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #70 on: 10/17/2007 12:26 pm »
No Rocket CAM?
It's your med's!

Offline eeergo

« Reply #71 on: 10/17/2007 12:27 pm »
-DaviD-

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #72 on: 10/17/2007 12:27 pm »
Slight roll rate, corrected... Is that unusual?
It's your med's!

Offline eeergo

« Reply #73 on: 10/17/2007 12:28 pm »
MECO, VECO, 1-2 sep and 2nd ignition:
-DaviD-

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #74 on: 10/17/2007 12:28 pm »
Well we managed to hear that call from Marc :)

MECO confirmed.

1-2 Sep.

Second stage ignition.

Offline eeergo

« Reply #75 on: 10/17/2007 12:31 pm »
That telemetry guy :)
-DaviD-

Offline ETEE

• Veteran
« Reply #76 on: 10/17/2007 12:31 pm »
Chris Bergin - 17/10/2007  1:13 PM

ETEE - 17/10/2007  1:12 PM

Someone didn't look back one page ;)

http://www.ulalaunch.com/index_webcast.html
Thanks.  I did look but didn't see.  Same as the webcast I suppose. ;)
Echo Tango Echo Echo

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #77 on: 10/17/2007 12:32 pm »
Moose getting screen time. :)

Offline eeergo

« Reply #78 on: 10/17/2007 12:33 pm »
97 miles altitude, 16000 mph.
-DaviD-

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #79 on: 10/17/2007 12:34 pm »
Currently flying smoothly with no issues reported :)
It's your med's!

Offline eeergo

« Reply #80 on: 10/17/2007 12:34 pm »
SECO and hydraulic pump shutdown (2 seconds earlier than expected, I think, but with this sound you never know...):
-DaviD-

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
« Reply #81 on: 10/17/2007 12:35 pm »
I can't make out what it being said because the webcast has faulty audio :(

Offline Maverick

• Newcastle, England - UK
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #82 on: 10/17/2007 12:36 pm »
Launch Fan - 17/10/2007  7:35 AM

No one could, they had a big fault in the webcast at about T-10 minutes.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #83 on: 10/17/2007 12:38 pm »
Webcast ended, will resume at ~9,24am EST
It's your med's!

Offline DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #84 on: 10/17/2007 12:40 pm »
kevin-rf - 17/10/2007  2:38 PM

Webcast ended, will resume at ~9,24am EST
Note: EDT not EST! Alternate: use ET(Eastern time).

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #85 on: 10/17/2007 12:43 pm »
Maverick - 17/10/2007  8:36 AM

Launch Fan - 17/10/2007  7:35 AM

No one could, they had a big fault in the webcast at about T-10 minutes.

I was using the 100 connections instead of the 300 connection and could make out the calls if I cranked my speakers and volume up. It was still weak though. I was really fearing it would be suddenly fixed and I would see a half dozen goupher heads popping over the cube walls seeing what all the racket was. The joys of being at work at 7am.
It's your med's!

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #86 on: 10/17/2007 12:48 pm »
The NASA AE Channel 2 feed is still broadcasting Moose's commentary.

2nd stage in BBQ thermal roll, "Currently a peaceful 2nd stage" per Marc.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #87 on: 10/17/2007 12:51 pm »
Ascension LOS. About 34 min. till Guam AOS.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #88 on: 10/17/2007 01:09 pm »
Launch video, best I could do with it as I was getting pretty awful quality when the webcast suffered its fault.
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10308&start=1&posts=1

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #89 on: 10/17/2007 01:27 pm »
2nd burn going well. SECO. Waiting for spinup/sep/3rd stage start.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #90 on: 10/17/2007 01:28 pm »
2nd stage showed separation, but no 3rd stage data yet.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #91 on: 10/17/2007 01:32 pm »
Guam still can't get a lock on the 3rd stage data signal. Should have s/c sep. by now, but can't confirm. Will have to wait for s/c AOS to confirm sep and status.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #92 on: 10/17/2007 01:33 pm »
Great work with keeping up with the calls from Marc. Thanks Mike.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #93 on: 10/17/2007 01:40 pm »
Welcome.  :)

Correction. Marc says now that Guam had a lock on to the 3rd stage signal, but nothing was coming thru to his location (though 2nd stage data came thru ok).
Will have to wait for further updates, or the s/c AOS, whichever comes first, I guess.

Offline dawei

« Reply #94 on: 10/17/2007 01:41 pm »
How common is it to have this kind of signal problem?  I know it has happened before.  What has been the cause of this sort of problem in the past?

Offline dawei

« Reply #95 on: 10/17/2007 01:42 pm »
AOS timeline on ksc elv webpage is for second stage, is that correct?  Anybody have an anticipated spacecraft AOS?

Offline dawei

« Reply #96 on: 10/17/2007 01:45 pm »
GPS spacecraft sep is confirmed by Air Force.  Mark says it is "looking good."

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #97 on: 10/17/2007 01:46 pm »
Hawaii AOS - 2nd stage blowdown ok, in coast; *can now confirm spacecraft AOS c/o the Air Force and everything is looking good!*

Chalk up another successful Delta II launch!  :)

Offline dawei

« Reply #98 on: 10/17/2007 01:57 pm »
12 minutes to restart.  2nd stage has good quality date and all is "normal."

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #99 on: 10/17/2007 01:59 pm »
dawei - 17/10/2007  8:41 AM

How common is it to have this kind of signal problem?  I know it has happened before.  What has been the cause of this sort of problem in the past?

It's happened throughout the entire history of both manned and unmanned spaceflight and rocket launches.

As for the reasons... you name it, it's probably been the reason at one time or another.

In this case, it appears from Marc's commentary that although Guam was recieving both the 2nd and 3rd stage telemetry signals, only the 2nd stage telemetry was getting thru to his station. To me it sounds like the Guam station had a signal processing problem that failed to insert the 3rd stage data into its transmission signal to Florida.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #100 on: 10/17/2007 02:02 pm »
dawei - 17/10/2007  8:42 AM

AOS timeline on ksc elv webpage is for second stage, is that correct?  Anybody have an anticipated spacecraft AOS?

Marc is still providing commentary on the 2nd stage as it goes thru its many fuel depletion procedures and built-in programs before it can be termed 'safe'.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #101 on: 10/17/2007 02:10 pm »
dawei - 17/10/2007  8:57 AM

12 minutes to restart.  2nd stage has good quality date and all is "normal."

This is part of the after-mission fuel depletion burn and vent steps.

There's a number of things the 2nd stage does after it's finished its primary launch job, and they involve making sure all the propellent and valve tanks are emptied and the fuel for the hydraulic pump is also depleted.

All that is to ensure that the stage hardware stays in one piece until it can reenter and burn up. Before these procedures were implemented, Delta II 2nd stages had a nasty habit of either blowing up, or tank ruptures that still sprayed debris into new orbits.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #102 on: 10/17/2007 02:15 pm »
20.1 second depletion burn (until propellent was exhausted). Hydraulic pump is done. Now venting N2 tank.
IIRC the final stage orbit is now 660x120 miles, 32 degrees.

Offline dawei

« Reply #103 on: 10/17/2007 02:16 pm »
Depletion burn complete.  Hyd pump off.  Ullage thrusters on to deplete (Nitrogen?).  Now in a 662.7 by 112.38 nm orbit at 32.6 degrees of inclination.  All as expected.  

Thanks to Marc for his ongoing commentary.  I guess he gets paid for it, but I still enjoy hearing the technical details in real time.

Thanks to Mkremer for your insight into signal issues.

Offline dawei

« Reply #104 on: 10/17/2007 02:17 pm »
Aaaah.  You beat me to the report MKremer!

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
« Reply #105 on: 10/17/2007 02:20 pm »
What is the typical or predicted decay rate of this orbit until burn up then? ie, how long will this stage be in orbit?
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline dawei

« Reply #106 on: 10/17/2007 02:20 pm »
RIFCA has stopped commanding.  KSC ELV page lists EOM as still being 127 minutes away.  What else happens in the remaining time?  Command receivers turned off?  Anything else?  Why wait another 127 minutes?

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #107 on: 10/17/2007 02:37 pm »
stockman - 17/10/2007  9:20 AM

What is the typical or predicted decay rate of this orbit until burn up then? ie, how long will this stage be in orbit?

I'd guess at least a couple years. It doesn't help that we're at solar minimum as far as the atmosphere being a big help for quicker orbital decay.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #108 on: 10/17/2007 02:43 pm »
dawei - 17/10/2007  9:20 AM

RIFCA has stopped commanding.  KSC ELV page lists EOM as still being 127 minutes away.  What else happens in the remaining time?  Command receivers turned off?  Anything else?  Why wait another 127 minutes?

That's probably the pre-launch schedule, but the official EOM just depends on when the ULA folks determine that all the propellents and gasses in the many tanks are to the point where the stage doesn't become a future hazard due to anything leaking or causing a possible rupture/explosive event before it has a chance to decay to reentry.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
« Reply #109 on: 10/17/2007 03:00 pm »
I've checked my numbers against JCM's data base to come up with the following.

Today's Delta (Delta 328) was the 700th Thor-family launch, a number that includes 113 suborbital launches by Thor missiles and Thor-Able rockets dating back to 1957.  

There have now been 587 Thor-family orbital launch attempts by at least 19 launch vehicle variants, including 321 Thor-based Delta launches, 185 Thor-based Agena flights, and 24 Thor-based N-1, N-2, and H-1 launches by Japan's NASDA using licensed technology.  Only Russia's R-7 family has performed more orbital launches.  

The first Thor launch attempt occurred on January 26, 1957.   The first Thor success occurred just over 50 years ago, on September 20, 1957.   90.8% of all Thor-based orbital flights have succeeded, including 95% of all Thor-based Delta launches and all but two of the 132 Delta 2 missions flown since the type premiered in 1989.    

The 700 total does not include two pre-launch accidents that destroyed vehicles on their launch pads.  These include Thor 103, which   exploded five minutes before its planned May 22, 1957 launch and Thor 160 Agena 1019, which blew up shortly before its planned inaugural Discoverer launch from Vandenberg AFB on January 21, 1959.

Reportedly, parts are available or in-work for no more than 23 more Delta 2 launch vehicles, a number that would be exhausted by the end of 2011 at current launch rates.

- Ed Kyle

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: 10/17/2007 03:08 pm »
4TH MODERNIZED GPS SATELLITE BUILT BY LOCKHEED MARTIN LAUNCHED SUCCESSFULLY

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla., October 17, 2007 -- A U.S. Air Forcemodernized Global Positioning System Block IIR (GPS IIR-M) satellite, designed and built by Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT], was launched successfully today from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station aboard a United Launch Alliance (ULA) Delta II launch vehicle.

Designated GPS IIR-17M, the satellite is the fourth in a series of eight Block IIR-M spacecraft that Lockheed Martin Navigation Systems has modernized for its customer, the Global Positioning Systems Wing, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif. The Block IIR-M series includes new features that enhance operations and navigation signal performance for military and civilian GPS users around the globe.

"Lockheed Martin is extremely proud of its partnership with the Air Force to sustain and improve the GPS constellation," said Don DeGryse, Lockheed Martin's vice president of Navigation Systems. "We look forward to executing a timely and efficient on-orbit checkout of this advanced spacecraft and providing GPS users worldwide with increased navigation capabilities."

Each IIR-M satellite includes a modernized antenna panel that provides increased signal power to receivers on the ground, two new military signals for improved accuracy, enhanced encryption and anti-jamming capabilities for the military, and a second civil signal that will provide users with an open access signal on a different frequency. The satellite launched today joins three IIR-M satellites and 12 other operational Block IIR satellites within the current 28-spacecraft constellation.

The Global Positioning System enables properly equipped users to determine precise time and velocity and worldwide latitude, longitude and altitude to within a few meters. Air Force Space Command's 2nd Space Operations Squadron (2 SOPS) at Schriever Air Force Base, Colo., manages and operates the GPS constellation for both civil and military users.

Lockheed Martin is also leading a team which includes ITT and General Dynamics in the competition to build the U.S. Air Force's next-generation Global Positioning System, GPS Block III.The next-generation program will improve position, navigation, and timing services for the warfighter and civil users worldwide and provide advanced anti-jam capabilities yielding improved system security, accuracy and reliability.

A multi-billion dollar development contract is scheduled to be awarded by the Global Positioning Systems Wing, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif. in early 2008.

Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin employs about 140,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The corporation reported 2006 sales of $39.6 billion.

NOTE TO EDITORS:Low- and high-resolution JPEG image files of a GPS IIR-M satellite are available at:

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/gps

Media Contact: Steve Tatum, 408-742-7531; e-mail, [email protected]

Offline HIPAR

• NE Pa (USA)
« Reply #111 on: 10/17/2007 03:32 pm »
If all goes well, we can all expect to start using the satellite in about a month.  

An interesting aspect of the GPS satellite is it's nuclear event detectors.  They apparently work in the visible, X-Ray and radio spectrum's.  The two UHF sized antennas detect EMP.

---  CHAS

Offline moose

« Reply #112 on: 10/17/2007 03:55 pm »
dawei - 17/10/2007  9:20 AM

I cannot comment on the KSC ELV page information, but when the flight program reaches Tmax, there are no further commands sent from RIFCA. This is the true end of the mission. The vehicle keeps drifting until orbit decay.

As for depletion events, the propellant biprop valve remains open for a while after combustion stops, and the ullage jets open to deplete the remaining N2 gas. The helium system does not deplete so that means we left a few hundred pounds psi in the stage. The hydraulic reservior also does not deplete, so there is a small residual pressure left in the system. ;)
That telemetry guy

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #113 on: 10/17/2007 04:36 pm »
Jessica at ULA PAO kindly sent a cool photo of the launch. I've asked her about what went wrong with the webcast, before anyone asks.

Congrats to all involved with this launch :)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #114 on: 10/17/2007 04:59 pm »
eeergo - 17/10/2007  8:07 AM

And he tends to speak ONLY when the capcoms are also speaking...

Capcoms are only in JSC and they only talk to astronauts

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #115 on: 10/17/2007 05:00 pm »
eeergo - 17/10/2007  8:14 AM

Final poll underway (since when they say "ready" instead of "go"? :o) :

Delta uses "ready" for a position.  "Go" is for a system status

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #116 on: 10/17/2007 05:02 pm »
MKremer - 17/10/2007  9:59 AM

dawei - 17/10/2007  8:41 AM

It's happened throughout the entire history of both manned and unmanned spaceflight and rocket launches.

As for the reasons... you name it, it's probably been the reason at one time or another.

In this case, it appears from Marc's commentary that although Guam was recieving both the 2nd and 3rd stage telemetry signals, only the 2nd stage telemetry was getting thru to his station. To me it sounds like the Guam station had a signal processing problem that failed to insert the 3rd stage data into its transmission signal to Florida.

The second and third stage have different type transmitters , frequencies and modulations.

Offline HIPAR

• NE Pa (USA)
« Reply #117 on: 10/31/2007 11:19 pm »

2007146--------------------------
NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2007146
SUBJ: SVN55 (PRN15) USABLE JDAY 304/2246
1.     NANU TYPE: USABINIT
       NANU NUMBER: 2007146
       NANU DTG: 312248Z OCT 2007
       REFERENCE NANU: N/A
       REF NANU DTG: N/A
       SVN: 55
       PRN: 15
       START JDAY: 304
       START TIME ZULU: 2246
       START CALENDAR DATE: 31 OCT 2007
       STOP JDAY: N/A
       STOP TIME ZULU: N/A
       STOP CALENDAR DATE: N/A

2.  CONDITION: GPS SATELLITE SVN55 (PRN15) WAS USABLE AS OF JDAY 304
    (31 OCT 2007) BEGINNING 2246 ZULU.

3.  POC: CIVILIAN - NAVCEN AT 703-313-5900, http://HTTP://WWW.NAVCEN.USCG.GOV
    MILITARY - GPS OPERATIONS CENTER at http://HTTP://GPS.AFSPC.AF.MIL/GPSOC, DSN 560-2541,
    COMM 719-567-2541, [email protected], http://HTTP://gps.afspc.af.mil/gps
    MILITARY ALTERNATE - JOINT SPACE OPERATIONS CENTER, DSN 276-9994,
    COMM 805-606-9994, [email protected]

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #118 on: 11/01/2007 12:36 am »
HIPAR - 31/10/2007  7:19 PM

2.  CONDITION: GPS SATELLITE SVN55 (PRN15) WAS USABLE AS OF JDAY 304
    (31 OCT 2007) BEGINNING 2246 ZULU.

Great news, thanks for the update!

Offline HIPAR

• NE Pa (USA)
« Reply #119 on: 11/01/2007 02:50 am »
Next projected Delta 2 GPS launch:

Dec. 20   •   GPS 2R-18 (M5)    SVN 57

SVN 29  (PRN29)  was decommissioned on 23 October 2007.  If there are no additional failed satellites, I'm thinking the next new satellite will replace it.

---  CHAS

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #120 on: 11/01/2007 03:55 am »
The current schedule is to launch at least 2 or 3 additional upgraded IIR GPS sat's on D-2s between now and the end of 2008, IIRC.

Offline WHAP

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #121 on: 11/01/2007 02:45 pm »
There are 4 GPS 2R satellites left to launch on Delta II's (18 - 21)
ULA employee.  My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Offline HIPAR

• NE Pa (USA)
« Reply #122 on: 11/01/2007 08:25 pm »
There is a consensus that  GPS IIR-19 (M6) will launch (Delta II 7925) sometime next March.  The satellite is projected to be SVN 49.

Block IIA  SVN 32 is on its last clock.   Wow .. it was launched way back during 22 NOV 1992 and has been transmitting on PRN01.   It's been working well past its estimated design life of about 8 years!   I would consider it (now) a candidate candidate for replacement in March but there are many working old Block IIA satellites that will soon show signs of aging.

There is another old satellite thats been transmitting on PRN32 for the last 10 months or so.  Although it appears in the almanac, it's been set as unusable.  There has been concern about user segment equipment being incompatible with PRN32 or a 32 satellite constellation.

The other two modified IIR satellites are also tentatively scheduled for rides next year.  I guess their missions will be determined by what breaks during the next six months.

Look for Block IIF satellites to launch in about a year.  Boeing just integrated one .. a couple of years behind schedule.  Atlas and Delta IV will get the honers for those.

---  CHAS

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: 11/05/2007 05:09 pm »
MODERNIZED GPS SATELLITE BUILT BY LOCKHEED MARTIN DECLARED OPERATIONAL FOR USERS WORLDWIDE Team Prepares Next Satellite for Late-December Launch

DENVER, November 05, 2007 -- -The modernized Global Positioning System Block IIR (GPS IIR-M) satellite, launched from Cape Canaveral on Oct. 17, has been declared fully operational for military and civilian navigation users around the globe, following a successful on-orbit checkout by a combined U.S. Air Force/Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] team.

The satellite, designated GPS IIR-17M, is the fourth in a series of eight Block IIR-M satellites that bring new capabilities tomilitary and civilian users of the GPS system. Each GPS IIR-M satellite features a modernized antenna panel that provides increased signal power to receivers on the ground, two new military signals for improved accuracy, enhanced encryption and anti-jamming capabilities for the military, and a second civil signal that will provide users with an open access signal on a different frequency.

"With a disciplined approach, proven processes and a strong industry-government partnership, the team once again demonstrated its ability to rapidly move another high-performance GPS IIR-M spacecraft into operations for the user," said Don DeGryse, Lockheed Martin's vice president of Navigation Systems.

Lockheed Martin's operations team conducted the on-orbit deployment and checkout of all spacecraft systems in just over six days, allowing Air Force Space Command's 2nd Space Operations Squadron (2 SOPS) based at Schriever Air Force Base, Colo., to conduct the navigation payload initialization. The satellite was subsequently declared operational on Oct. 31 for both civil and military users.

"The team's focus on operational excellence and mission success is at the heart of this program and we look forward to working side by side with our customer to sustain this critical system for military and civil users worldwide," added DeGryse.

The satellite joins three IIR-M satellites and 12 other operational Block IIR satellites within the current 28-spacecraft constellation.The team is currently preparing the fifth GPS IIR-M satellite for its scheduled launch on Dec. 20, 2007 from Cape Canaveral.

The Global Positioning Systems Wing,Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif. , is planning to launch the three remaining GPS IIR-M satellites next year, one of which will include a new demonstration payload that will temporarily transmit a third civil signal, known as L5.

The Global Positioning System enables properly equipped users to determine precise time and velocity and worldwide latitude, longitude and altitude to within a few meters.

Lockheed Martin is also leading a team which includes ITT and General Dynamics in the competition to build the U.S. Air Force's next-generation Global Positioning System, GPS Block III. The next-generation program will improve position, navigation, and timing services for the warfighter and civil users worldwide and provide advanced anti-jam capabilities yielding improved system security, accuracy and reliability.

A multi-billion dollar development contract is scheduled to be awarded by the Global Positioning Systems Wing, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif. in early 2008.

NOTE TO EDITORS:Low- and high-resolution JPEG image files of a GPS IIR-M satellite are available at:

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/gps

Media Contact: Steve Tatum, 408-742-7531; e-mail, [email protected]

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #124 on: 12/06/2007 03:13 am »
Not sure if this is the best thread for this question, but I was wondering about the radiation environment for medium Earth orbit satellites like the GPS birds.  Are they actually able to operate for years within the Van Allen belt?

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #125 on: 12/06/2007 03:59 am »
vt_hokie - 5/12/2007  11:13 PM

Not sure if this is the best thread for this question, but I was wondering about the radiation environment for medium Earth orbit satellites like the GPS birds.  Are they actually able to operate for years within the Van Allen belt?

GPS is at 20K km- outer Van Allen belt starts at 31k  km and inner max is at 10K km.. So GPS is between the two belts

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #126 on: 12/06/2007 03:47 pm »
Avron - 5/12/2007  11:59 PM

GPS is at 20K km- outer Van Allen belt starts at 31k  km and inner max is at 10K km.. So GPS is between the two belts

I see, thanks.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography