Author Topic: Starliner Space Suit – a modified Boeing Blue version of ACES – revealed  (Read 37063 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Last Edit: 01/25/2017 05:13 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline cletus

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 1528
A vacuum-proof zipper! Is that a recent invention? Seems super useful.

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 45
I don't think the zipper is airtight.
The way it looks it's designed to help re-shape the suite between standing and sitting, essentially folding in a belly-section of the suite.
It looks like it's entirely on the outside of the suit

Offline jarnu

• London
    • linkedin
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 2
There are two zippers in the video. The one in the belly and the one in the helmet. It is the last one what surprises me. Is it airtight? How?
« Last Edit: 01/25/2017 06:42 pm by jarnu »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
I don't think the zipper is airtight.
The way it looks it's designed to help re-shape the suite between standing and sitting, essentially folding in a belly-section of the suite.
It looks like it's entirely on the outside of the suit
The video directly states " ... the new, reduced size helmet opens and closes with a zipper for convenience."
It is shown being closed at the neck.
The text discusses different zippers in the torso. Possibly a solution to the dreaded"spacesuit droopy butt" syndrome.  ;D
« Last Edit: 01/25/2017 06:36 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
Airtight zippers have been around for a long time. Fabric rubber backed brass zippers were originally developed by BF Goodrich for NASA and have long been adopted for use in drysuits. (Well, YKK zippers). The pressure delta is about 1/3 ATA, so not terribly huge.

Here I'm pressure testing a drysuit at work. The YKK sipper is across the shoulders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline ethan829

A vacuum-proof zipper! Is that a recent invention? Seems super useful.

Many pressure suits have used zippers. There's some good discussion on how they work here: http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/001299.html

Offline DOCinCT

The video from the Boeing web page is out on YouTube

Offline jarnu

• London
    • linkedin
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 2
Ok, I see. I wasn't aware of that capability. And I suppose it was used before for that critical joint. It seems it creates a very confortable and light helmet. The rest of the suit seems also thinner, flexible and light. At least in the joints that go between torso and limbs.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Last Edit: 01/25/2017 09:23 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
I vote to call this the "blueberry" suit as opposed to NASA's "pumpkin" suit :)
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Neat!  8) I like it.

Although "Boeing blue" color might be a poor choice for visibility during an ocean abort.

I do wonder how custom it has do be for different body shapes. Will each astronaut need a custom one, or is it more one size fits all, or somewhere in-between with a few standard sizes?
« Last Edit: 01/25/2017 08:05 pm by Lars-J »

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6806
  • Likes Given: 1345
Neat!  8) I like it.

Although "Boeing blue" color might be a poor choice for visibility during an ocean abort.

I do wonder how custom it has do be for different body shapes. Will each astronaut need a custom one, or is it more one size fits all, or somewhere in-between with a few standard sizes?

From the presentation, it sounded like there would be a variety of different sizes available.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
Neat!  8) I like it.

Maybe they'll have bright orange or yellow 'Mae West' life vests to put on over them in after an abort splashdown scenario? http://c8.alamy.com/comp/D7NNBG/ww2-raf-pilotcrew-member-with-flying-helmet-mae-west-life-jacket-D7NNBG.jpg
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
The pressure delta is about 1/3 ATA, so not terribly huge.

Had to look up what an ATA is. Its basically 1 atmosphere = 101.325 kPa. So 1/3 ATA is about 34 kPa.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302

The color of the suit doesn't do much for visibility at sea. Much better to have reflective strips which  will do a much better job. Since you need a light source emitting from the searcher to see anyone in the middle of the sea.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18201
  • Likes Given: 12162

The color of the suit doesn't do much for visibility at sea. Much better to have reflective strips which  will do a much better job. Since you need a light source emitting from the searcher to see anyone in the middle of the sea.
Nope. NASA did not require a high-visibility pressure suit. Starliner will only land on water in extreme contingency cases (default is landing on land) and the crew is supposed to stay inside the capsule until help arrives. From that point forward you do not need high visibility suits.
« Last Edit: 01/26/2017 08:24 am by woods170 »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Last Edit: 01/26/2017 11:57 am by jacqmans »
Jacques :-)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
They might incorporate glow sticks, LED light sticks and strobe lights with a locator beacon...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline jgoldader

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 171
I'm a little surprised they didn't use conformal helmets.  The Columbia crew survival report had a lot to say about trauma from the loose-fitting helmets.  Is ASAP going to be happy?
Recovering astronomer

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography