Author Topic: Modelling Mars  (Read 221375 times)

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
Re: Modelling Mars
« Reply #320 on: 03/30/2015 08:55 am »
I dug my battered Voyage book this weekend and started reading it again at random. Red the final Mars landing and the biconic shuttle wanabee. Thinking about this thread certainly makes the novel even better...  ;D
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #321 on: 03/31/2015 06:08 pm »
I am having this made at Cafe Press.  I hope it looks cool when it gets here.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #322 on: 04/03/2015 12:27 am »
In this alternate history, Skylab flew in 1973, but as a wet workshop.  Here it is on it's Saturn 1B on Pad 37B and shortly after launch.

A few days later, a Saturn 1B launched from Pad 34 with Pete Conrad, Joe Kerwin and Paul Weitz  who then began the difficult task of outfitting the tank for habitation. 

Skylab flights would continue at 3 a year for at least the next decade. 
« Last Edit: 04/03/2015 01:12 am by Ronpur50 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #323 on: 04/04/2015 01:03 pm »
Two weeks after launch, the Ares crew has settled into their daily routine.  Ares has not had any major issues. 

I wish I knew how to calculate the distance Ares has traveled or if an online calculator for that exists.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #324 on: 04/04/2015 01:14 pm »
Now with Ares "on it's way", I have gotten back to the Mars 1 ship.  I added corrugation to the pressure hulls and trusses to the tunnels that will be used to mount the various instruments and tanks.
« Last Edit: 04/04/2015 01:26 pm by Ronpur50 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #325 on: 04/04/2015 09:56 pm »
I added the oxygen tanks to both sides of the spacecraft.  I also made the 3 Venus probes and one of the aeroshells for the Martian airplane.  I am only making one of those since the parts I made it from were only a single set.  I still need to make 2 comsats for it as well.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #326 on: 04/05/2015 09:24 pm »
Some more photos of Mars One after painting and adding a few details.  When I do decals for this, I think I may add all the flags of the participating nations/space agencies:

United States
Soviet Union
ESA
Japan
India

This mission has quite a few similarities with Ares 1.  Both used the Earth-Venus-Mars trajectory and both used technologies current to their eras: Space Station modules, 28 Shuttle launches and 5 Soviet HLV. And 6 Ariane 4 launches.  And both use LOX/LH2 for fuel and nothing nuclear.

« Last Edit: 04/05/2015 10:49 pm by Ronpur50 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #327 on: 04/05/2015 10:10 pm »
Here are two views of the SKylab Workshop in orbit.  The first is just the workshop and the second is of the Skylab 2 mission commanded by Pete Conrad, who had the difficult task of outfitting the Wet Workshop for the next crew, an all military mission commanded by Ken Mattingly:

"Meanwhile NASA had run into a lot of flak over the first orbital workshop, Skylab A. Pete Conrad had led the first setup mission to open up Skylab. But then the second crew had been military, a consolation for the DoD after the shuttle cancellation. Ken Mattingly, an Apollo veteran, had led a crew of military astronauts — Manned Spaceflight Engineers — through a secretive program testing “Terra Scout” and “Battleview” surveillance equipment, radiation-monitoring gear, encrypted-communications beams. Every previous NASA flight had been completely open; it had been a deliberate and popular policy going back to Kennedy." 

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #328 on: 04/05/2015 11:36 pm »
Mike has built a model of a proposed Mars flyby vehicle.  He named her "Discovery".  It is a series of upgraded S-IVB (S-IVC) stages.  In the book, it is proposed by the German scientists, Hans Udet after the Apollo-N disaster:

"Stone leafed through the report. “So what is Udet doing with this now?”
“He wants to revive a chemical-only Mars flyby option. A couple of S-IVB third stages in orbit, ganged together and fired off on a minimum-energy trajectory, looping around Mars. You’d need two, maybe three Saturn launches to do it.”
“A flyby of Mars? What the hell kind of mission is that?”
Muldoon rubbed his face. “Well, you’re talking maybe a seven-hundred-day round-trip, and about one day of useful work at Mars.”
“Whipping by at interplanetary speeds…”
“Oh, and by the way. You’d pass on the dark side.”
« Last Edit: 04/05/2015 11:37 pm by Ronpur50 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #329 on: 04/05/2015 11:52 pm »
Engine ignition and leaving orbit.

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #330 on: 04/06/2015 12:20 am »
Tanks for doing the work to get Discovery in space Ron.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #331 on: 04/06/2015 12:36 am »
You're welcome!  Here is one more with the first stage separation.  I did find a graphic showing the staging sequences, all of them in Earth orbit, it seams.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #332 on: 04/06/2015 03:16 pm »
After Ares?  An S-II based Space Station, with a docking node to accept international vehicles and modules.

And perhaps a reusable shuttle for crew transport?
« Last Edit: 04/06/2015 03:32 pm by Ronpur50 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #333 on: 04/07/2015 01:30 pm »
I did a little more work on Mars One.  I cut the LH2 and LOX tanks from Plastruct tube (TB-40).  4 long Hydrogen tanks and four small Oxygen tanks.  I had to order some elliptical domes for the hydrogen tanks, so I won't get much more done with them for a few days. 
I taped them together to get a notion of how big the model will be when done.   
And finally, the SSME I made way back in 1985 when the book was written and I made my first model from the Revel Space Operations Center model.  Even though that model is long since gone, this engine has survive.  I think it is only fitting that I use it again on this model.

After looking through the book last night, I realized that the designers only put one docking port on the ship, where the MEM attaches on the front.  I don't know how this is supposed to work for crew ingress!  Maybe fly over from the space station in the MEM! LOL

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #334 on: 04/08/2015 01:53 pm »
I reworked a couple of patches for the Moonlab Program.  Moonlab 1 which was  in 1976, which is why I used Apollo 16 as the base with all of it's red white and blue.  I used the Star Trek font because the CSM was named Enterprise after a write in campaign by Star Trek fans,  Moonlab-Soyuz, which is obviously based on Apollo-Soyuz.  I used a futuristic font that reminded me of Space:1999.   I also made Apollo 14, the last moon landing.  That was rather easy, lol.
« Last Edit: 04/08/2015 02:18 pm by Ronpur50 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #335 on: 04/09/2015 02:19 am »
My Ares mission patch coffee mug arrived today!! I am really excited about it.  I think it turned out great.  Since I can't really justifying spending $150 to have 50 patches made, this is as close as I will likely get.  And I can order other items from Cafe Press with the logo if I want, since it is saved there.
« Last Edit: 04/09/2015 02:20 am by Ronpur50 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #336 on: 04/09/2015 04:23 pm »
Back to the Mars One vehicle, I added the metal skin to the Hab, Lab and Storage modules.  It is chrome plumbers tape, again.  I love this stuff.  It can be smooth or wrinkled depending on what effect you want.

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 410
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #337 on: 04/09/2015 06:00 pm »
Back to the Mars One vehicle, I added the metal skin to the Hab, Lab and Storage modules.  It is chrome plumbers tape, again.  I love this stuff.  It can be smooth or wrinkled depending on what effect you want.

I'm beginning to wonder if we should try to do a Kickstarter for a return to the moon, let alone go on to Mars.

The only real issue I had with the book that you're basing your main models on is the developement that would have been required for the Manned Mars lander.  It would have required at least a couple of flights just to Man Rate it, so there wouldn't have been enough Saturn V's at the end of the run to launch everything needed for the Mars landing.

Unless of course the Saturn V line was restarted, that is.
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #338 on: 04/09/2015 08:20 pm »

I'm beginning to wonder if we should try to do a Kickstarter for a return to the moon, let alone go on to Mars.

The only real issue I had with the book that you're basing your main models on is the developement that would have been required for the Manned Mars lander.  It would have required at least a couple of flights just to Man Rate it, so there wouldn't have been enough Saturn V's at the end of the run to launch everything needed for the Mars landing.

In Voyage, the remaining Saturn Vs left after Apollo 14 were used for Moonlab missions and Apollo-N.  The Saturn VB vehicles were a new line of uprated Saturns.  And two manned test flights of the MEM were made, one orbital with an Apollo CSM and another landing test that was flown by John Young. 

There was discussion earlier in the book of just trying to use the remaining Sat Vs for Ares, and no new construction, but that changed with the Saturn VB and the fear of another disaster.  Other upgrades included making the Apollo capsule reusable and modular.  That way, with the 30+ Skylab and Moonlab long duration missions, the spacecraft would be recycled.  Those were known as the Block III and Ares used a Block IV Apollo.

And I wish kickstarter could generate that much money!

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 410
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #339 on: 04/09/2015 09:09 pm »

In Voyage, the remaining Saturn Vs left after Apollo 14 were used for Moonlab missions and Apollo-N.  The Saturn VB vehicles were a new line of uprated Saturns.  And two manned test flights of the MEM were made, one orbital with an Apollo CSM and another landing test that was flown by John Young. 

There was discussion earlier in the book of just trying to use the remaining Sat Vs for Ares, and no new construction, but that changed with the Saturn VB and the fear of another disaster.  Other upgrades included making the Apollo capsule reusable and modular.  That way, with the 30+ Skylab and Moonlab long duration missions, the spacecraft would be recycled.  Those were known as the Block III and Ares used a Block IV Apollo.

And I wish kickstarter could generate that much money!

If we could get a billionare to donate enough, we could do that with a kikstarter and a Billion dollar lottery.

It's funny, maybe I read a different book, but I don't remember those details in the story.
My God!  It's full of universes!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography