Author Topic: Future Remote Sensing Development: Low Field Nuclear Magnetic Resonance imaging  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Stormbringer

• Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 92
this technique uses either permanent magnets or an existing ambient magnetic field to analyze distant targets. right now it's only proof of concept and they certainly aren't discussing what i am extrapolating it to but in the future this might be used by space probes to scan planets. but i think you could at least analyze bodies with intrinsic magnetic fields. the technique does not require encapsulating the target in superconducting magnetic coils. maybe you could make it part of a hand held multi-mode sensor and analyzer device with sufficient evolution of the technology.

http://phys.org/news/2014-08-ultra-low-field-nuclear-magnetic-resonance.html

"What's novel here is that using magnetometers, we finally have technology that might be sensitive enough for efficient detection in the Earth's field, perhaps ultimately enabling detection at longer distances," explains Scott Seltzer, a co-author on the study.

When antigravity is outlawed only outlaws will have antigravity.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
Does this technology work better or worse when analyzing planets with little to no magnetic fields?

Offline Stormbringer

• Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 92
i would guess that it would not work after a certain threshold is reached. there has to be a magnetic field else close enough for permanent magnet's magnetic field to penetrate the scanning target.
When antigravity is outlawed only outlaws will have antigravity.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography