Author Topic: ISRO Mars Orbiter Mission - Nov 2013 launch to September 2014 arrival - UPDATES  (Read 786969 times)

Offline vineethgk

• India
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 265
none of the other orbiters really give us this kind of view.

So the elongated orbit of MOM that was considered a limitation of the mission does give it one advantage over the others, afterall - a chance to take global snaps of Mars!!  ;D

And we here are not the only ones thrilled by it. Here is the latest post by Emily on it.
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2014/09290843-mars-orbiter-mission-delivers.html

If the Mars Orbiter Mission does nothing else but return to us a variety of global images of Mars from different positions and phases, the mission will be a great success, as far as I'm concerned. It'll be a data set unlike any generated by any other mission, and the single-frame photos should find their way into lots of books and magazines, informing the public perception of Mars for years to come.

I really do hope that the newspapers here in India carry this image in their front pages tomorrow..  8)

( EDIT: And by the way, it seems this latest image has the North-side up finally  ;) )
« Last Edit: 09/29/2014 06:28 pm by vineethgk »

Offline abhishek

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 13
If they can use a 0.8 m resolution camera on cartosat,why didn't they use the same on MOM ?

here is a picture of mars taken by the 70's era viking mission...compare and contrast

« Last Edit: 09/30/2014 02:40 am by abhishek »
10, 9, ignition sequence start 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, all engines running Lift off, we have a lift off, lift off

Offline antriksh

• Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 107
If they can use a 0.8 m resolution camera on cartosat,why didn't they use the same on MOM ?

here is a picture of mars taken by the 70's era viking mission...compare and contrast

Because of following restrictions: 1) Payload (cartosat pan cam weighs 120 kg) and 2) Power. Right now what we are getting is the best with a 1.27 kg camera.
« Last Edit: 09/30/2014 03:20 am by antriksh »
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

From: 1st verse of 129th Hymn of the 10th Book of Rig Veda

I think the most interesting thing now, aside from the methane experiment, is what MOM can do to observe Siding Spring's flyby.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759

That's a mosaic generated from many images, not a single picture. Apples and oranges.

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
That isn't "a" picture, it's a carefully assembled and processed mosaic of many images. Individual Viking orbiter frames looked something like this http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/html/object_page/vo1_022a54.html

The images from MOM so far single frames, presumably pretty much as taken.

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 212
I really do hope that the newspapers here in India carry this image in their front pages tomorrow..  8)

Well, I'm not going to say                    ...

We eradicated polio; <rant> so now I think we should now take on the current mandarins of Indian corporate media. In ascending order of disbelief.... this image was only featured on Page 7 of ToI, Page 4 of The Hindu, and NOT AT ALL in TNIE! At this point, I'm fully convinced that they're only going to feature pictures on Page 1, if there's a pattern of craters, which, due to pareidolia - looks like "ॐ". #~@/$ !!!</rant>
« Last Edit: 09/30/2014 04:46 pm by AJA »

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
That isn't "a" picture, it's a carefully assembled and processed mosaic of many images. Individual Viking orbiter frames looked something like this http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/html/object_page/vo1_022a54.html

The images from MOM so far single frames, presumably pretty much as taken.

Are you saying that this is the best 'Single frame global view' Image ever taken ? ??? (If it is indeed single frame because we were told many were taken but only few are released.. )
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Are you saying that this is the best 'Single frame global view' Image ever taken ? ??? (If it is indeed single frame because we were told many were taken but only few are released.. )

Rosetta took a comparable global image of Mars during its flyby. As for which one is "best", well, the MOM one is a little too garish and contrast-enhanced for my liking...

Offline Ohsin

Now in 3d  :D

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
Are you saying that this is the best 'Single frame global view' Image ever taken ? ???
No, I didn't say that. The point I was trying to make is that the comparison to a heavily processed mosaic isn't very meaningful. If ISRO wants to, they could probably do rasters at medium altitudes to produce higher resolution mosaics.

That said, MOM will probably produce some of the best images in this category, because most cameras sent to Mars are more specialized.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
...north-up preconceptions...
... pat yourself at your back all by yourself. ...

Nova up there was making a funny about ... o' them smiley things.  Personally, I've always preferred Bucky Fuller's map of the world.

Just dawned on me that you could draw a  similar map of Luna and Mars.  There's no preconceived rule as to tha arrangements of the triangle.  You modify the triangles as dictated by the either randomness, or, in the case of Coruscant, intentionality of the underlying continental structure.  Note that Fuller introduced some dorky triangles in his map of Eaarth.

Ladies and germs.  I present... [wait for it...] the Dymaxiom Map!  [smattering of applause and several bemused looks.]

http://www.bfi.org/about-fuller/big-ideas/dymaxion-world/dymaxion-map

So I charge my Indian cohort.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Planet Eaarth
Solo dicendo.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Last Edit: 10/10/2014 04:09 am by sanman »

Offline vineethgk

• India
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 265
U.S., India to Collaborate on Mars Exploration, Earth-Observing Mission

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/september/us-india-to-collaborate-on-mars-exploration-earth-observing-mission/
While attending the International Astronautical Congress, the two space agency leaders met to discuss and sign a charter that establishes a NASA-ISRO Mars Working Group to investigate enhanced cooperation between the two countries in Mars exploration. They also signed an international agreement that defines how the two agencies will work together on the NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) mission, targeted to launch in 2020.

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
Re: PSLV C25, ISRO Mars Mission, October 21, 2013
« Reply #1115 on: 10/01/2014 09:48 am »
Can someone expand the acronyms in the ISRO brochure picture below? I didn't get SPDM (in the context of the Solar Arrays), CASS, SPSS (I assume it's Solar Position Sensor ___ ?), LE (as in the 440 N thruster), and CCSDS, BDH, SSR, TTC (Telemetry and Telecommand?) in the context of communications...

SPDM: Solar Panel Drive Mechanism
CASS: Coarse Analogue Sun Sensor
SPSS: Solar Panel Sun Sensor
LE: Liquid Engine
CCSDS: Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems (a standard)
BDH: Baseband Data Handling
SSR: Solid State Recorder
TTC: Telemetry, Tracking and Commanding

http://www.isro.org/mars/spacecraft.aspx
http://www.isro.org/satellites/mars-orbiter-spacecraft.aspx

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Planet Eaarth

That's a mosaic generated from many images, not a single picture. Apples and oranges.

A totally unfortunate and inaccurate characterization.  Both images are of Mars.

Here's an image of Mars from 1877

Compare and contrast.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Planet Eaarth
Quote from: Buckminster Fuller Institute
Please send inquiries regarding use and licensing the Fuller Projection to [email protected].

Sadly, BF decided to retain all intellectual rights to his invention, which has restricted and will continue to restrict the use of a valuable mapping technology.

His estate is not gaining much, and the world loses much.  My cohort needn't bother.
« Last Edit: 10/01/2014 01:37 pm by JohnFornaro »

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
Voices of ISRO social media, and MOM:
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/bangalore/others/Follow-me/articleshow/43738536.cms

If you guys are reading this thread: Good going guys, two thumbs up :)

Offline Ohsin

Voices of ISRO social media, and MOM:
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/bangalore/others/Follow-me/articleshow/43738536.cms

If you guys are reading this thread: Good going guys, two thumbs up :)

Good chance that they did an open question answer session on Reddit as well(known as AMA for AskMeAnything ) :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography