Author Topic: New Apollo Exhibit Opens in Seattle  (Read 3506 times)

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7827
  • Likes Given: 2
New Apollo Exhibit Opens in Seattle
« on: 05/19/2017 04:04 pm »
http://www.collectspace.com//news/news-051917a-apollo-exhibit-museum-flight-seattle.html

'Apollo' exhibit: Jeff Bezos' recovered rocket engines debut in Seattle

May 19, 2017

— Nearly 50 years after they were used to launch astronauts to the moon and four years after they were raised off the ocean floor, the massive rocket engines recovered by Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos are going on display in Seattle.

The Saturn V F-1 engines, or rather the parts of such due to their being torn apart and eroded, are set opposite a towering unused engine, serving as an example of what they looked like before they were launched. The pair are featured along with other NASA artifacts in "APOLLO," the new permanent exhibit at The Museum of Flight, opening to the public on Saturday (May 20).

"APOLLO is about the stories, large and small, that contributed to mankind first leaving the planet and heading to the moon," said Matt Hayes, the executive vice president of the museum, at a press preview on Thursday. "This exhibit integrates the best of our early space artifacts, and it threads together a common storyline with some recently acquired gems, for an experience not found anywhere else."

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
Re: New Apollo Exhibit Opens in Seattle
« Reply #1 on: 05/19/2017 04:35 pm »
I was able to take the F1 tour when they were being stabalized at the Space Works. The ocean salt smell was still strong. They removed the Viking display and will have one of the F1s at the Cosmosphere soon.

http://www.bezosexpeditions.com/updates.html says those engines part are from Apollo 12 and Apollo 16. Wonder where the Apollo 11 F1 parts went?

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 05/19/2017 05:16 pm »
I was able to take the F1 tour when they were being stabalized at the Space Works. The ocean salt smell was still strong. They removed the Viking display and will have one of the F1s at the Cosmosphere soon.

http://www.bezosexpeditions.com/updates.html says those engines part are from Apollo 12 and Apollo 16. Wonder where the Apollo 11 F1 parts went?

My guess is that the Apollo 11 parts are being held for the Smithsonian. I know for a fact that at one point the Smithsonian was considering accepting them.

Offline AS_501

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 412
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #3 on: 05/19/2017 05:25 pm »
I'm curious as to how the different F-1s were identified by mission.  Did NASA record the ocean impact points of the S-IC stages?  If so, to what degree of accuracy?  I assume all of the S-ICs impacted within a radius of X miles.
Launches attended:  Apollo 11, ASTP (@KSC, not Baikonur!), STS-41G, STS-125, EFT-1, Starlink G4-24, Artemis 1
Notable Spacecraft Observed:  Echo 1, Skylab/S-II, Salyuts 6&7, Mir Core/Complete, HST, ISS Zarya/Present, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, Dragon Demo-2, Starlink G4-14 (8 hrs. post-launch), Tiangong

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #4 on: 05/19/2017 05:52 pm »
Serial numbers. The Bezos link covers them locating the Apollo 11 number. They announced it when Aldrin was here and showed him the engine.

fixed spelling error
« Last Edit: 05/19/2017 06:20 pm by Kansan52 »

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 05/19/2017 06:16 pm »
The serial numbers don't all match up, however. The engines were apparently swapped around from stage to stage without consistent documentation. So at least some of them are guesses.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #6 on: 05/20/2017 07:17 pm »
I'm curious as to how the different F-1s were identified by mission.  Did NASA record the ocean impact points of the S-IC stages?  If so, to what degree of accuracy?

Engine serial numbers notwithstanding, the impact points of S-IC stages have been estimated.

Anytime you have quantitative Apollo-related question, Apollo by the Numbers is a great place to start.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 05/20/2017 08:51 pm »
I'm curious as to how the different F-1s were identified by mission.  Did NASA record the ocean impact points of the S-IC stages?  If so, to what degree of accuracy?

Engine serial numbers notwithstanding, the impact points of S-IC stages have been estimated.

Anytime you have quantitative Apollo-related question, Apollo by the Numbers is a great place to start.

Another problem is that the group that recovered the engine parts didn't keep track of the recovery locations. So knowing the impact points didn't help.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: 05/20/2017 11:57 pm »
My guess is that the Apollo 11 parts are being held for the Smithsonian. I know for a fact that at one point the Smithsonian was considering accepting them.

They will go on permanent display in the new "Destination Moon" gallery when it opens at the National Air and Space Museum in 2020. Until then, the Apollo 11 engine parts will be held/displayed at the Cosmosphere in Kansas, with the exception of the injector plate, which will travel with Apollo 11's Columbia during its four-city tour launching this October in Houston (and then visiting St. Louis, Pittsburgh and finally Seattle in 2019, where the exhibit will be integrated into the APOLLO gallery at The Museum of Flight).
« Last Edit: 05/21/2017 12:00 am by collectSPACE »

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 967
« Reply #9 on: 05/29/2017 01:51 am »
I had time on the way into work this morning and stopped by. MoF is a great museum, and worth fighting Seattle traffic to go see. (The images are upright on my computer and phone, don't know why they're sideways here. Mods, can you help?)

If you're in the Puget Sound/Vancouver BC area, you should also consider a day trip to MGen. Bill Anders's Heritage Flight Museum. In addition to a display of his Apollo memorabilia, on the 2nd Saturday of each month they have a "Fly Day", and fly as many of their aircraft as possible. Their new location at Skagit Airport allows you to be VERY upclose during the flybys.
« Last Edit: 05/30/2017 07:22 am by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline p51

• Somehwere near pad 39, trying to thumb a ride...
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #10 on: 06/01/2017 10:01 pm »
Cool, I think I was the first non-media person to get in there on the morning of the 20th. The school kids and TV crews were still hanging around. I wore my “still the right stuff” replica Apollo era jacket, which turned a lot of heads. Some internet outfit interviewed me about that and asked about my thoughts (they were surprised I remember the last couple of Apollo missions on TV as they happened, though I was a very young kid then). I didn’t take down the website they were from, though…
It was a great exhibit. I’d seen the F1 engine before, having been to Marshall several times in the last few years. Really well-done exhibit even if I’d seen a lot of the stuff before. I love how they have the rover displayed, it looks great. Even better was that the Pete Conrad stuff finally is on display again, which hasn’t been the case for a while before this.
I was surprised that the ISS module mockup wasn’t anywhere on display that I could see, I’d had expected they would have moved it across the street…
"The years forever fashion new dreams when old ones go. God pity a one-dream man."
-Robert Goddard

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography