Author Topic: Astrobotic Technology Annouces Lunar Mission on SpaceX Falcon 9  (Read 130123 times)

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
Wow, I can't believe I opened this thread back in 2011.
I'm surprised Astro has the funds to afford a ula rocket, but maybe it's ridesharing in some way.
Regardless, SpX has lost a potentially high visibility customer, since this is also their Lunar Xprize mission (though..., maybe not, since Google nor the Xprize got any mention in the PR...huh?)

Doesn't the 2019 launch date put it beyond eligibility for the Google Lunar X Prize?
That could be why it's not mentioned.

We could do some simple scaling estimates to generate a mass for a lander capable of carrying 35 kg to the lunar surface and compare that to the TLI capability of, say, and Atlas 5 401, and see if it's a candidate for a ride share.
The statement about launching during the July window when Apollo 11 flew suggests a dedicated launch.

GWH: On what basis to you make your definitive statement?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Online meberbs

• Liked: 3379
  • Likes Given: 777
Wow, I can't believe I opened this thread back in 2011. I'm surprised Astro has the funds to afford a ula rocket, but maybe it's ridesharing in some way. Regardless, SpX has lost a potentially high visibility customer, since this is also their Lunar Xprize mission (though..., maybe not, since Google nor the Xprize got any mention in the PR...huh?)
Astrobotic dropped out of the competition last year, the deadline for having a launch contract was the end of 2016.

SpaceIL still is technically in the competition with a contract with SpaceX, but their launch is not until 2018 now, and the prize deadline is end of this year, so they are effectively out of the running as well.

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1929
  • Likes Given: 1277
https://www.astrobotic.com/configure-mission

First mission in palyload guide is listed as ride share from leo. You can even price it out with their site.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
With Chris's permission, an update on this mission. Its now launching on ULA (I assume Atlas) ...

Okay, they said they 'selected a launcher' before, without any actual launch booking. Is this now a signed deal or is it just more of a 'selecting a launcher' ?
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 1424
  • Likes Given: 1
"(though..., maybe not, since Google nor the Xprize got any mention in the PR...huh?)"

Astrobotic officially withdrew from the Lunar X Prize competition when it became impossible for them to launch by the deadline. 

http://www.spacenewsmag.com/commentary/graduating-from-the-google-lunar-x-prize/

They are flying independently and no longer connected to GLXP.  Nor to SpaceX, making this thread inappropriate for further updates on Astrobotic's mission.
« Last Edit: 07/27/2017 10:25 pm by Phil Stooke »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
This mission doesn't seem to exist anymore.  Astrobotic now has a flight with ULA.  Locking thread.
« Last Edit: 08/15/2017 04:46 am by gongora »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography