Author Topic: LIVE: Chang'e-3 lunar probe and rover, CZ-3B - Xichang - December 1, 2013  (Read 464625 times)

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Has a selenocentric orbit inclination been quoted anywhere, please?

I have seen quotes of a 90 degrees inclination orbit.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

By the way, I have finished translating the introduction materials of all the 8 science instruments that I have posted 2 days ago - please read from here for the details.  :D
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline luhai167

• Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 6
There are lots of funny mis-translations like that in Google, especially for Chinese and Japanese (I remember Hayabusa's name was always translated by Google as "It is quick the").

There is a word, “落月” that keeps showing up in Google translations as "sangrakwol", which is meaningless. Can anyone say what this actually means in the context of Chang'e? It is found in the second paragraph of this article: http://tech.sina.com.cn/d/2013-12-02/02398965861.shtml

It just means decent on the moon.

The reason Google translate uses sangrakwol is because it's name used by a comic that has the name 落月 in it. Google uses information on the internet to build language models, so in this case comic book title trumps common sense.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/sangrakwol-arena-Paperback-Chinese-Edition/dp/7537831351

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1155
By the way, I have finished translating the introduction materials of all the 8 science instruments that I have posted 2 days ago - please read from here for the details.  :D

Very good job! Thank you!!!

Very good job! Thank you!!!

And I have found the original document....

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
Rover deployment.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
Weird system. It doesn't seems very tolerable to boulders and such.

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 159
LOI was completed at 09:47 UTC.

other sources quote 09:53 ?

Maybe that means that the burn was 09:47-09:53 UTC since the LOI burn was reported to be 360 seconds long.  ;)

LOI burn for Apollo was almost identical...5 min, 58 seconds (Apollo 12).

Offline seawolfe

• South of Seattle and east of Tacoma
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 4484
Are there any further news releases about their progress with their orbital descent phasing?  I was looking for the approximate date of the expected landing but must have missed it (even in the original article...could have skimmed over that).  Can this be updated?

Are there any further news releases about their progress with their orbital descent phasing?  I was looking for the approximate date of the expected landing but must have missed it (even in the original article...could have skimmed over that).  Can this be updated?

The orbit will be lowered to 15 x 100 km on December 10 (not sure about the time). Landing is expected on December 14 at ~15:30 UTC (~7:30 am PST).

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
Rover deployment.

Rover seems to have a high center of gravity.  Do the wheels spread apart?
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
Rover deployment.

Rover seems to have a high center of gravity.  Do the wheels spread apart?

I don't think so. The configuration seem typical of large off road all-wheel drive trucks and wheeled armored fighting vehicles.

I believe the front wheel on the separate running gear assembly on each side of the vehicle can be articulated so the vehicle can climb over small obstacles. This is similar to a lot of the experimental wheeled military support vehicles in the past. Or to get off the ramps from the lander if it lands in uneven terrain.

Offline Duck

• Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
It's called a rocker-bogie suspension, the MER rovers and MSL both use it.  It essentially mechanically keeps the body to an average in difference between all the wheels.  ie, lift the front left wheel 10 cm, dip the back right wheel 10 cm, and the body stays flat.

That being said - those photos are just stills from an animation, generated by someone who probably made it from photos, not actual CAD.  The rover probably looks a lot different than that.

-Iain

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
That being said - those photos are just stills from an animation ...
If you go back a few pages in the thread you will find the actual animation here, too.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
There was a mention in last week's issue of New Scientist covering this mission that it may represent a concern for the LADEE lunar orbiter due to the dust & disturbance that might be kicked up by the lander. Anyone heard any other mention of this?
« Last Edit: 12/08/2013 06:12 pm by Star One »

Offline veblen

• Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 3727
More like an interesting experiment for a couple of LADEE's instruments:

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2013/12051704-change-3-and-ladee-updates.html

Offline jumpjack

• rome-italy
  • Likes Given: 0
Are there any good line drawings/schematics of the lander and rover?

I've seen a lot of photos, but I'm curious about overall dimensions and instrument locations and things like that.
Any news about this?
-- Jumpjack --

Offline jumpjack

• rome-italy
  • Likes Given: 0
pretend to land crew on the Moon by 2025/30.

I assume you mean "intend", and not that the Chinese will try to fake a lunar landing...
Actually China is the best candidate for faking a moon landing, as in case of mission failure they will not like so much to admit the failure...  ;) I think this is the reason for which they do not advertise so much their missions until they successfully complete them!
-- Jumpjack --

Offline avollhar

• Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 26
radio amateurs have been tracking the lunar probe so far through TLI into lunar orbit (and can do sme decent orbit analysis). I assume once the lander is on the surface, this can be 'tracked' again and verify it's stationary position on the surface.. Faking this would be really hard nowadays.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
Ugh!  :( Please don't use 'faked' and 'Moon' in the same postings!! As a 'Space Geek', I get tormented all the time by 'comedians' who prattle on about how I'm deluded to believe in all that  'Faked Moon Landing stuff'  ::)
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography