Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas V - MUOS - February 24, 2012  (Read 238144 times)

Offline just-nick

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: SCRUB: Atlas V - MUOS - February 16, 2012
« Reply #200 on: 02/16/2012 11:50 pm »
Can someone clarify the relationship between ULA and Aerospace?
There "isn't" one.  The relationship is between Aerospace and USAF.
Aerospace is the USAF's GSE&I contractor for space systems.
Still confused. So Aerospace provides ground support and mission oversight for USAF flights as a contractor of the USAF?

Is that why they are monitoring the balloons and calling the red/green on winds aloft, since that is part of the services they provide?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #201 on: 02/16/2012 11:54 pm »
Can someone clarify the relationship between ULA and Aerospace?
There "isn't" one.  The relationship is between Aerospace and USAF.
Aerospace is the USAF's GSE&I contractor for space systems.
Still confused. So Aerospace provides ground support and mission oversight for USAF flights as a contractor of the USAF?

Is that why they are monitoring the balloons and calling the red/green on winds aloft, since that is part of the services they provide?

General System Engineering & Integration

They are the USAF's corporate knowledge and trusted adviser.  They do independent analyses. 

Offline Art LeBrun

• Photo freak
  • Orange, California
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #202 on: 02/17/2012 12:02 am »
Aerospace came into being in 1960 for ballistic missile oversight..........
1958 launch vehicle highlights: Vanguard TV-4 and Atlas 12B

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #203 on: 02/17/2012 12:05 am »
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline rocketmantitan

• Liked: 8
« Reply #204 on: 02/17/2012 12:44 am »
Not clear to me that Aerospace Corporation called the hold.   They are on the comm nets, but historically they do not have a speaking roll in a countdown on the launch vehicle side. (Question is whether hold was for LV, SV, or range.) They advise the Air Force Program Manager and the Air Force Mission Director regarding launch vehicle flight worthiness (per Air Force Space Command Instruction) - but it is the AF folks who should call the Hold, not Aerospace, if the Government team saw something that ULA did not. 

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #205 on: 02/17/2012 01:02 am »
Aerospace came into being in 1960 for ballistic missile oversight..........

As an offshoot of the Space Technology Laboratories which sprang from Ramo-Woolridge co. 

Offline robr

• Liked: 0
« Reply #206 on: 02/17/2012 02:42 am »
Great forum, just found it.  I was watching tonight with my family from SR-528.  My 7yo was extremely excited, he loves anything space and tech and his class just visited the McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center in Concord, NH a couple of months back.  It was disappointing but these things happen.  With an hour drive each way from Disney and only a 40% chance of weather cooperating, I doubt my wife (could care less about spaceflight) will be willing to cut our day short from Disney to drive back out, but I'll keep an eye on this thread and hope it all comes together and we can be back for what for us is likely to be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

It's my understanding there is no longer any way to observe the launch from Cape Canaveral itself, correct?  It sure would be great to find a location where you can actually see the launch pad, but I imagine for safety and security reasons that's probably not possible.  The website mentioned something about buying tickets for a launch but when I called and spoke to someone there I was told you couldn't buy tickets or get anywhere in sight.  Confusing!!
« Last Edit: 02/17/2012 02:53 am by robr »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #207 on: 02/17/2012 03:18 am »
There are no tickets because it is not a NASA sponsored launch.  The USAF doesn't let the general public on CCAFS for its launches.

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #208 on: 02/17/2012 04:18 am »
No that is not correct, they were indeed selling tickets for this launch to view from the Saturn V Center and have done that for several recent launches since the shuttle ended (and sold tickets for the causeway for GRAIL).

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #209 on: 02/17/2012 04:29 am »
Great forum, just foun

It's my understanding there is no longer any way to observe the launch from Cape Canaveral itself, correct?  It sure would be great to find a location where you can actually see the launch pad, but I imagine for safety and security reasons that's probably not possible.  The website mentioned something about buying tickets for a launch but when I called and spoke to someone there I was told you couldn't buy tickets or get anywhere in sight.  Confusing!!

Tickets were sold (and may be available for Friday or later) to view from the Saturn V Center, at just five miles away one of the two best places you could view from. The other option was to go to Playalinda Beach, also about five miles. Many people were there to view it, while others are reporting they were turned away after 5pm and police were staioned in the parking lot post-launch trying to clear the area.

So, you could get closer than Port Canaveral for this launch although I would label Playalinda risky for the next attempt. Get there early if you try it.

http://www.launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html

Offline just-nick

« Reply #210 on: 02/17/2012 04:34 am »
http://www.aero.org/
OK, thanks for the information everyone, I think I can put the puzzle pieces together and picture the relationships.

Funny thing is I'd just found the aero.org website yesterday while doing some totally unrelated research. Anyway, some great resources there and i was wondering "just who are these people?" and now I know.

Thanks.

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: LIVE: Atlas V - MUOS - February 17, 2012
« Reply #211 on: 02/17/2012 10:36 am »
Realigned the thread for Friday's attempt. Will realign the article a bit later, once everyone on different timezones get to notice it was scrubbed last night.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #212 on: 02/17/2012 01:31 pm »
No that is not correct, they were indeed selling tickets for this launch to view from the Saturn V Center and have done that for several recent launches since the shuttle ended (and sold tickets for the causeway for GRAIL).

In Jim's defense, that is KSC not CCAFS, NASA launches have causeway ticket viewing.
« Last Edit: 02/17/2012 01:33 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #213 on: 02/17/2012 03:49 pm »
Starting to clear the VIF, skies dont look too good

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #214 on: 02/17/2012 04:02 pm »
Starting to clear the VIF, skies dont look too good

If I understand correctly, cloud they can handle - it's high-velocity cross-winds at high altitude that were the problem yesterday.  I have seen Deltas, Protons and Arianes vanishing into 100% cloud cover almost right of the pad.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #215 on: 02/17/2012 04:32 pm »
If I understand correctly, cloud they can handle

It depends on what kind of cloud, a repeat of AC-67 is not desired.

...oddly, FLTSATCOM was a direct ancestor of MUOS.

If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #216 on: 02/17/2012 04:46 pm »
William Graham's overview updated for the second attempt - if you've not read it yet, so it now. 4,000 worder.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/02/atlas-v-launch-muos-historic-centaur-milestone/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline just-nick

« Reply #217 on: 02/17/2012 04:49 pm »
I have seen Deltas, Protons and Arianes vanishing into 100% cloud cover almost right of the pad.
The Russians, in particular, seem willing/able to launch into pretty terrible conditions. A product of necessity, given the climate in most of their launch facilities, I guess!

Offline Airlock

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #218 on: 02/17/2012 05:28 pm »
I have seen Deltas, Protons and Arianes vanishing into 100% cloud cover almost right of the pad.
The Russians, in particular, seem willing/able to launch into pretty terrible conditions. A product of necessity, given the climate in most of their launch facilities, I guess!

In regards to the AC-67 failure, the issue was with the formation of lightning.  The launch constraints state the following: "The flight path of the vehicle should not be through middle-level cloud layers 6,000 feet or greater in depth, when the freezing level is in the clouds." At Baikonur, the freezing level is kind of a moot point during the cold season since it's below 0 Celsius at any altitude... basically it's difficult to compare the weather on the Eastern Range with Kazakhstan because they are very different, but it does make for some interesting "blast-off in a blizzard" pictures!  :)

Offline robr

• Liked: 0
« Reply #219 on: 02/17/2012 06:08 pm »
How is it loOking for tonite?  Gotta leave disney asap to make it out in time. 

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography