Author Topic: Lunatic Partying with the Goddess n' Bunny - The Chang'e 3 cheerleading thread!  (Read 46941 times)

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
an artists conception of a massive asteroid strike on that picture.

If that is so, it's a lame attempt, because that is very much a nuclear fireball. More precisely, the kind of a double fireball that was seen in U.S. tests Grable of operation Uphsot-Knothole and Priscilla of operation Plumbbob.
« Last Edit: 12/19/2013 09:52 pm by ugordan »

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
Uh, you realize how off the scale that is ?
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Of course I do. I am commenting on the artist's laziness in using pretty much a stock photo of one of the more iconic nuclear detonations. Why the surprise that people associate that background image with "nuking Europe", then?

Offline savuporo

Thats really a stretch - you can find a zillion double fireball artist concept pics anywhere, nuclear or other.

5-seconds to goole

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/147978-finally-confirmed-an-asteroid-wiped-out-the-dinosaurs

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 887
  • Likes Given: 201
Im not sure if my first glance interpretation would have been a nuclear attack on europe or an asteroid, but..

..if I had interpreted it as a nuclear attack, especially on a foreign power, I would have found it incredibly confusing, like a picture of barney the dinosaur getting jiggy with captain lightyear. I can't imagine the mindset of someone who looked at something like that and saw some sinister meaning as opposed to just thinking WTF. Maybe the sort of people who believe in zionist chinese atheist feminist conspiracies could look at that and nod knowingly. Anyone else would think WTF. That interpretation makes absolutely zero sense. Even if you believed some government had such a plan and could somehow tie it to a rover on the moon, how could anyone for a second think such information would be leaked this way? Its like those conspiracies of barcodes on the backs of street signs so invading UN troops know which way to go.

..so after any sort of consideration I guess I would go with asteroid. I expect the link there would also be pretty tenuous but its topical and might get some funding. What would the asteroid link be? I heard something of them doing some observation of space from the lander. Is it related to that? I figured any observation they did would be fairly small and just gathering data for how a larger telescope might behave. What are the advantages of observing from the near side of the moon? (I have heard about the far side ones)

Offline luhai167

• Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 6
an artists conception of a massive asteroid strike on that picture.

If that is so, it's a lame attempt, because that is very much a nuclear fireball. More precisely, the kind of a double fireball that was seen in U.S. tests Grable of operation Uphsot-Knothole and Priscilla of operation Plumbbob.

Neither, it's just whomever made this piece what a image of "earth rise" that isn't the iconic apollo image, and got this instead. I would not be surprised if this the is first very high resolution image they found via view of earth from space search query in baidu and used it.

Sloppy marketing work, indeed. But if you seen the websites for Chinese space companies you would not be surprised by this. (That site has tons of dead internal links and looks like it's made a high school student) Perhaps its a good thing, as they are not wasting money on graphics designers and advertising people and spend more money on engineering instead.
« Last Edit: 12/20/2013 07:43 am by luhai167 »

Offline savuporo

And, here we have first true color and processed Hubble Space Telescope picture of Yutu and Chang'e on the moon

http://photocdn.sohu.com/20131223/Img392206814.jpg

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
"the future will be a step towards the sea of stars" - exquiste.  Is there an author I can attribute this to?
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline MadCow

• Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
"the future will be a step towards the sea of stars" - exquiste.  Is there an author I can attribute this to?
A series of posts titled 'looking the future of China from the past dragon years' by a netizen called 'Diamond' , were posted on www.cchere.com from August 2013. An eBook was published on the same website in October 2013, proofread and typeset by 云中飞. The book recounts the achievements and reveals the future of China's industrialization.

Here's the link for the eBook:
http://www.ccthere.com/article/3930313

The sentence you quoted is the last one of the afterword. I think it should be better translated as 'the future will be step by step towards the sea of stars'.

Offline luhai167

Here is a google translate of its repost on Baidu Tieba, a more vibrant forum. It's a fairly comphesive list of China's recent achievements. Also give you a glimpse of internet interactions among Chinese.

Beginning
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftieba.baidu.com%2Fp%2F2592623127%3Fsee_lz%3D1&act=url

The end, where they talk about space in the afterward. I notice google translate is very inconsistent on translating sea of stars,
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftieba.baidu.com%2Fp%2F2592623127%3Fsee_lz%3D1%26pn%3D8

and A little background, this series was very popular in China during the 1990s and still has a cult following there. (Similar to Star Trek, but not as big) Our Journey is the Sea of Stars, our Conquest is the Sea of Stars etc is a common theme in the anime and novel.

Offline Dalhousie

A series of posts titled 'looking the future of China from the past dragon years' by a netizen called 'Diamond' , were posted on www.cchere.com from August 2013. An eBook was published on the same website in October 2013, proofread and typeset by 云中飞. The book recounts the achievements and reveals the future of China's industrialization.

Here's the link for the eBook:
http://www.ccthere.com/article/3930313

The sentence you quoted is the last one of the afterword. I think it should be better translated as 'the future will be step by step towards the sea of stars'.

Thanks for that.  I wonder if the author was knowingly developing Arthur Clarke's phrase "across the sea of stars"?

Offline luhai167

Possible, but I doubt it's directly from Arthur Clarke (which virtually unknown in China). From the phase used in Chinese, 我的征途是星辰大海, it's seems to be taken directly from novel by Chinese novelist 今何在 and Japanese Yoshiki Tanaka. They possible these authors are inspire by Arthur Clarke which further inspires fans of space travel.

edit: I just read 今何在's blog. It appears he is directly inspired by Yoshiki Tanaka's Legend of Galactic Heroes series. So I wonder what his connection to Arthur Clarke. Interestingly Yoshiki is a fan of Chinese history.
« Last Edit: 12/29/2013 07:04 am by luhai167 »

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
I hope that the Eagle and Falcon already on the Moon don't go bunny hunting. ;-)
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline Dalhousie

Possible, but I doubt it's directly from Arthur Clarke (which virtually unknown in China). From the phase used in Chinese, 我的征途是星辰大海, it's seems to be taken directly from novel by Chinese novelist 今何在 and Japanese Yoshiki Tanaka. They possible these authors are inspire by Arthur Clarke which further inspires fans of space travel.

edit: I just read 今何在's blog. It appears he is directly inspired by Yoshiki Tanaka's Legend of Galactic Heroes series. So I wonder what his connection to Arthur Clarke. Interestingly Yoshiki is a fan of Chinese history.

It was a title of a collection of stories, they did not need to read the stories, just see the title.

I am a an of Chinese history two, ever since I studied it at school :)
« Last Edit: 12/31/2013 08:55 pm by Dalhousie »

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 887
  • Likes Given: 201
During this intermission,
here are some sleeping bunnies..

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island