Author Topic: ITS 3d-print model  (Read 16119 times)

Offline Cologan

• Germany
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 233
ITS 3d-print model
« on: 09/29/2016 11:43 am »
Alright, please let me know if this topic is at the wrong place or if this question has been asked before, but:

Is there already a 3d-printable file for the ITS out there? Anyone working on one? Will SpaceX release a file if we ask nicely/Have they already done so?

I'm pretty sure that i am not the only one who wants a mini-ITS on his desk  ;D I just dont have the skills to create the model.

Offline Nibb31

• France
  • Liked: 177
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: ITS 3d-print model
« Reply #1 on: 09/29/2016 11:54 am »
There is this:
https://sketchfab.com/models/4ab893421fa044c1879a9b256692331c

But I don't think it's accurate. I think that the side with the heatshield has a flattened surface between the fins, and the heatshield extends back to protect the engines. It's hard to say really, because we never got a clear view of the heatshield side in the presentation.

Offline tl6973

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #2 on: 09/29/2016 12:05 pm »
Also, that model has four SL raptors in the middle of the cluster, rather than 3

Offline Cologan

• Germany
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 233
« Reply #3 on: 09/29/2016 12:55 pm »
Its not an exact representation, true. A couple of other pictures of the ITS have showed up that show more of the heat shield. Also i'd like a model with extended landing gear. I will add the Images if i find them again.
« Last Edit: 09/29/2016 12:56 pm by Cologan »

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
Re: ITS 3d
« Reply #4 on: 09/29/2016 02:54 pm »
Given some time... someone will put out a decent 'eyeballed' 3D model...  ;)
SpaceX is not about to release their 3D design/models... that would be nuts...  :o

Let the clock run out a bit... someone will fill this obvious want and need of ours close enough...  8)

I know I have already talked to my 3D printer guy on this topic...
Just waiting for a good STL file to be released on the interweb...
« Last Edit: 10/02/2016 02:07 am by John Alan »

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #5 on: 10/01/2016 02:00 am »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline John Alan

« Reply #6 on: 10/01/2016 02:29 am »

Online lamontagne

• Otterburn Park, Quebec,Canada
  • Liked: 3838
  • Likes Given: 716
« Reply #7 on: 10/01/2016 02:34 am »
This is coming along, I expect to be through in a few days.

However, not optimised for 3D modeling at all, I'm doing the interior as well. and others have had problems translating from sketchup models.

Anyway will make model available if requested.

Offline hrissan

• Novosibirsk, Russia
  • Liked: 325
  • Likes Given: 2432
« Reply #8 on: 10/01/2016 08:33 am »

However, not optimised for 3D modeling at all, I'm doing the interior as well. and others have had problems translating from sketchup models.

Looks awesome... If half is printed in transparent plastic to see the beauty inside. :)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #9 on: 10/01/2016 02:13 pm »
ITS keychains!
ITS lighters!
ITS pendants!
ITS pens!

(actually, make the booster the pen, and the spaceship can be the cap)
« Last Edit: 10/01/2016 02:14 pm by sanman »

Offline John Alan

« Reply #10 on: 10/02/2016 02:58 am »

I bought an 'Export STL' extension for my Sketchup Pro setup that works 'ok' but it is flaky at times...
I have found if I group only the outer mold line solid components and copy/paste just them into a fresh SKP...
Use "Union" and "Outer Shell" to try and work it back into just one solid 3D component...
Use bought extensions like 'Cleanup3' to flip faces and such... with luck it makes a nice STL/3D print...
It's flaky though and sometimes components become unsolid for no good reason...  >:(

Personally. just having a good SKP model to drool over and take a tape measure to using Sketchup would make me thrilled... Looks great so far... take your time...  8)

« Last Edit: 10/02/2016 03:21 am by John Alan »

Offline Oceanbluesky

• Christmas Island
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #11 on: 10/02/2016 04:48 pm »
SpaceX is not about to release their 3D design/models... that would be nuts...

Hi John, why do you insist upon that? SpaceX would be well served by releasing their basic CAD models to the public with creative commons licensing in the same way they do their photographic images. This would be especially useful to digital artists who would each otherwise spend weeks independently recreating individual peculiar inexact models, rather than rendering their dreams in final gorgeous imaginative images.

NASA/JPL have online depositories for free 3D models of their various spacecraft, satellites, and rovers -- why not SpaceX? Why condemn artists to creating tedious inexact uncoordinated mesh models for weeks -- rather than encourage them to manifest their artistic strengths in final renders of cool, amazing visions for SpaceX?

Near-term space related media, visionary depictions of human exploration and settlement of our solar system could be flooded with SpaceX vehicles -- accurate, high quality inspiring SpaceX vehicles. Even full-feature movies could use SpaceX-like craft -- getting the public all on one page, through technically literate depictions of what spacecraft in the future will actually look like (rather than ridiculous craft like the Ares in the Martian).
« Last Edit: 10/03/2016 12:25 am by Oceanbluesky »

Offline Oceanbluesky

• Christmas Island
« Reply #12 on: 10/02/2016 04:50 pm »
Do we have access to exact measurements -- diameter, height and so on - for these vehicles? Thanks

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
ITS 3d-print model
« Reply #13 on: 10/02/2016 05:44 pm »
Do we have access to exact measurements -- diameter, height and so on - for these vehicles? Thanks

How exact do you need? We have fairly high resolution orthographic views (non perspective), from which you can derive pretty much any dimension given that we know the diameter is 12 meters

Exact enough for a 3D printed model - if the 3D modeler has an eye for detail.
« Last Edit: 10/02/2016 05:44 pm by Lars-J »

Offline ekanellas

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 30

Offline Oceanbluesky

• Christmas Island
« Reply #15 on: 10/02/2016 06:37 pm »
Hi Lars, thanks, 12 meters helps! Are these orthographic images the same as those uploaded to SpaceX's Flickr account? (It seems SpaceX may use a few different models. From what I can remember (I won't be at a computer for most of the day) the height of the second stage varied slightly between an "orthographic" depiction on Europa and a similar angle of the 39A launch site). Not a big deal but do we also know the official anticipated height of the first and second stages?

Thanks again

Offline DJPledger

• Liked: 506
  • Likes Given: 33568
« Reply #16 on: 10/02/2016 06:58 pm »
ITS keychains!
ITS lighters!
ITS pendants!
ITS pens!

(actually, make the booster the pen, and the spaceship can be the cap)
How about an ITS booster MPS wok burner 3D printed out of metal. Have the burner jets in exactly the same configuration as the Raptors on the ITS booster.

Offline sevenperforce

• Liked: 969
  • Likes Given: 599
« Reply #17 on: 10/02/2016 06:58 pm »
Know what would be really, truly epic?

An ITS containing a butane lighter in the central engine cluster (screw-off top for refilling) where the legs extend to act as the ON switch, pressure fit into a hollow booster serving as a cigarette case.

Offline DJPledger

• Liked: 506
  • Likes Given: 33568
« Reply #18 on: 10/02/2016 07:05 pm »

An ITS containing a butane lighter in the central engine cluster (screw-off top for refilling) where the legs extend to act as the ON switch, pressure fit into a hollow booster serving as a cigarette case.
The ITS booster MPS 3D printed wok burner model would be even more epic. Have the propane tank as your ITS booster with the burner as the MPS. Would have to be turned upside down though. I mean the burner is at the top of the model instead of the bottom for it to work.
« Last Edit: 10/02/2016 07:06 pm by DJPledger »

Offline sevenperforce

• Liked: 969
  • Likes Given: 599
« Reply #19 on: 10/02/2016 07:14 pm »

The ITS booster MPS 3D printed wok burner model would be even more epic. Have the propane tank as your ITS booster with the burner as the MPS. Would have to be turned upside down though. I mean the burner is at the top of the model instead of the bottom for it to work.
Taking it out and flipping it over for that would be a bit inelegant, I think.

The cigarette/cigar case with attached butane lighter has the wow factor of being able to come along with you. You'd get a lot more use out of it, too. "Hang on a sec, lemme pull my cigar out of this rocket booster and light it with a rocket engine on the back end of a spaceship..."

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography