Author Topic: STS-53 Discovery launch video, transcript, pics  (Read 11916 times)

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
STS-53 Discovery launch video, transcript, pics
« on: 05/06/2007 07:30 pm »
My tape of the STS-53 launch from 12/2/92 has been added to the video gallery at  Shuttlesource.com  This was one of those DOD  missions on a 57 degree inclination northeasterly trajectory from pad 39A.  CDR David Walker, PLT Bob Cabana, with MS's Guion Bluford, James Voss, and Michael Clifford.

http://shuttlesource.com/library_clips.html

Launch was originally set for 6:59 a.m. but delayed until 8:24 a.m. because this was a cooler morning with frost building up on the east side of the ET that needed to melt after sunrise and upper-level winds needed to be studied before the count could resume.  The clip on the video only extends from seconds before launch til staging; here is my transcript:

-01:00 KSC PAO Bruce Buckingham: T minus 1 minute and counting.  Everything is still looking good, it's a beautiful day for launch here on the east coast of Floirda.

-00:46 T minus 45 seconds.  Coming up for a Go for Auto-sequence start.

-00:30 GLS: GLS  Go for auto-sequence start.
(simultaneously)

-00:29 KSC PAO: We have a Go for Auto-sequence start; Discovery's 4 oonboard computers have primary control of all the vehicle's critical functions.

-00:20 NTD Al Sofge: 20.

-00:20 KSC PAO: 20.  T minus 15 seconds....11, 10

-00:10 NTD :Ten.

-00:09 GLS: GLS go for main engine start.
(simultaneously)

KSC PAO: 9,8, 7, we have a go for main enigne start, 4, 3, 2, 1, zero,

NTD: T-zero, SRB ignition.

KSC PAO: and lift-off.  Lift-off of the Space Shuttle Discovery on a 7-day mission for the Department of Defense.

+0:10 JSC PAO Jeff Carr: Houston is now controlling, Discovery is manuevering onto course.

+0:13 CDR David Walker: (faintly) Roll program.

+0:15 CAPCOM: Roger roll, Discovery.

+0: 21 JSC PAO Jeff Carr: Roll manuever's complete, placing Discovery and crew on the proper heading.  Engines at 100%.

+0:34 Engines are throttling back now, helping to ease Discovery thorugh the dense lower altittudes as it continues to accelerate rapdily.  Engine throtlles are now at 73%.

+0:53 Discovery is already travleing over 700 miles per hour.  

+0:57 Three engines at 73%.

(Cockpit mic inadvertently airs PLT Bob Cabana saying "point" or"q point" for a second here at T+60 seconds.)

+01:06 Discovery is passing through the range of maximum dynamic pressure and the three engines are throttling back up.

+ 01:17 CAPCOM: Discovery, Go at throttle up.

+01:21 CDR Walker: Roger, Go at throttle up.

+01:23 JSC PAO :All engines are now running at full throttle and all systems are performing well.  Altitude is now 68,000 feet; Discovery is traveling over 1,000 miles per hour.

+01:33  Over the next 60 seconds as Discovery continues to climb at a relatively steep angle the vehicle's rate of speed will virtually triple.  Solid Rocket Boosters each providing up to 3-1/3 million pounds of thrust will burn out and separate at about 2 minutes 4 seconds; time now 1 minute 48 seconds.  
Altitude 114,000 feet downrange 18 nautical miles.

+01:59 Booster chamber pressure is beginning to diminish; we're standing by for staging.

(SRB sep occurs at +02:06)

+02:12 Discovery is now flying free of the solids and under the power of its own main engines.  Second stage guidance is now controlling the vehicle.

+02:19 Altitude 178,000 feet, downrange distance 47--(correcting himself) 37 natuical miles.

+02:28 CAPCOM: Discovery,  Performance nominal.

+02:32  CDR Walker: Roger, nominal performance.

Offline Austin

• Extreme Veteran
  • Virginia
RE: STS-53 Discovery launch video link and transcript
« Reply #1 on: 05/06/2007 07:51 pm »
AstroRJY - 6/5/2007  12:30 PM

My tape of the STS-53 launch from 12/2/92 has been added to the video gallery at  Shuttlesource.com  This was one of those DOD research  missions on a 57 degree inclination northeasterly trajectory from pad 39A.  CDR David Walker, PLT Bob Cabana, with MS's Guion Bluford, James Voss, and Michael Clifford.

Love that big ole' 57 degree roll maneuver.  As you can see from the video, they did loosen up on blocking the crew transmissions (CDR) during ascent. Though didn't hear him make a roll call on STS 53, the 'go at throttle up' acknowledgement was audible.

I remember hearing a few years ago that David Walker had died of cancer.  I was shocked, to tell you the truth, as I didn't know that he had been ill.

He was a fine astronaut.

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
Re: STS-53 Discovery launch video link and transcript
« Reply #2 on: 05/06/2007 08:04 pm »
I love the sound of the SRBs in this one!  Beautiful launch.  Amazing thinking I was in kindergarten.  I wish I could have been born in 1970 or something.  Old enough to watch all these old launches but young enough to be a teenager in the 80s ;)
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
« Reply #3 on: 05/06/2007 08:21 pm »
Glad you're so interested now : )  I was in 5th grade when Challenger happened and became very interested after that and was a total space nerd by the time I was in middle school.  Have you ever seen a lunch in person? It's awesome.  Better get down to Florida sometime before 2010 if you haven't!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #4 on: 05/06/2007 08:27 pm »
nathan.moeller - 6/5/2007  4:04 PM

I love the sound of the SRBs in this one!  Beautiful launch.  Amazing thinking I was in kindergarten.  I wish I could have been born in 1970 or something.  Old enough to watch all these old launches but young enough to be a teenager in the 80s ;)

Ouch, that was the last DOD shuttle mission I supported.

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
« Reply #5 on: 05/06/2007 08:29 pm »
I looked up the JSC Astronaut files online and found this:     http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/astrobio.html

"PERSONAL DATA: Born May 20, 1944, in Columbus, Georgia. Died on April 23, 2001, while being treated at University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. He is survived by his wife, the former Paige Lucas, and two grown sons."

He died then at 56. He was 48 when he was CDR on this flight. "A veteran of four space flights, Walker has logged over 724 hours in space. He was the pilot on STS 51-A in 1984, and was the mission commander on STS-30 in 1989, STS-53 in 1992 and STS-69 in 1995."

The roll call is very faint over the launch noise but it's there.  I always thought that was weird too, that they blocked out air-to-ground comm during launch on the 1980's DOD flights.  We better not let them be heard saying roll program or go at throttle up!... the communists might learn something!  *Gasp*!   Haha  they had another unclassified DOD  launch like that for STS-39 in 1991.

Offline Endeavour118

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 05/07/2007 03:42 am »
Capcom was Kevin CHilton From what i was told

Offline Austin

• Extreme Veteran
  • Virginia
« Reply #7 on: 05/07/2007 05:02 am »
AstroRJY - 6/5/2007  1:29 PM

I looked up the JSC Astronaut files online and found this:     http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/astrobio.html

"PERSONAL DATA: Born May 20, 1944, in Columbus, Georgia. Died on April 23, 2001, while being treated at University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. He is survived by his wife, the former Paige Lucas, and two grown sons."

He died then at 56. He was 48 when he was CDR on this flight. "A veteran of four space flights, Walker has logged over 724 hours in space. He was the pilot on STS 51-A in 1984, and was the mission commander on STS-30 in 1989, STS-53 in 1992 and STS-69 in 1995."

The roll call is very faint over the launch noise but it's there.  I always thought that was weird too, that they blocked out air-to-ground comm during launch on the 1980's DOD flights.  We better not let them be heard saying roll program or go at throttle up!... the communists might learn something!  *Gasp*!   Haha  they had another unclassified DOD  launch like that for STS-39 in 1991.

Perhaps Jim can speak on this, but I believe that blocking out the transmissions was supposed to make it more difficult to track the vehicle during ascent.  They obviously later decided that this was not necessary.

Offline STS-500Cmdr

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: 05/07/2007 05:31 am »
The late David Walker will perhaps be remembered for missing a Pan Am aircraft by 100 ft with his T-38 on his way into DC after STS-30-the Magellan flight.
Three Engines onboard Endeavour have now throttled back to 2/3rds throttle to prepare the spacecraft to pass through the area of maximum dynamic pressure and to go supersonic

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #9 on: 05/07/2007 12:28 pm »
Austin - 7/5/2007  1:02 AM

AstroRJY - 6/5/2007  1:29 PM

Perhaps Jim can speak on this, but I believe that blocking out the transmissions was supposed to make it more difficult to track the vehicle during ascent.  They obviously later decided that this was not necessary.

air-to-ground comm not 'blocked", it was encrypted for the classified DOD flights.  "We better not let them be heard saying roll program or go at throttle up!" That is just plain stupid.  Some spacecraft have call outs during ascent.

STS-39 is not comparable to STS-53

STS-39 was a DOD flight but it was not a classified mission, the spacecraft were unclassified and so were the mission ops.  STS-53 was still a "classified" mission.

Offline Austin

• Extreme Veteran
  • Virginia
« Reply #10 on: 05/07/2007 03:11 pm »
Jim - 7/5/2007  5:28 AM

"We better not let them be heard saying roll program or go at throttle up!" That is just plain stupid.  Some spacecraft have call outs during ascent.

Since even amatuers were able to unscrammble the encryption with very basic equipment probably purchased at the local Radio Shack, my guess is that any other country that we were worried about in terms of picking up the transmissions probably wouldn't have too much difficulty as well.

It's almost embarrassing if you think about it.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #11 on: 05/07/2007 04:04 pm »
Austin - 7/5/2007  11:11 AM

"We better not let them be heard saying roll program or go at throttle up!" That is just plain stupid.  Some spacecraft have call outs during ascent.

Since even amatuers were able to unscrammble the encryption with very basic equipment probably purchased at the local Radio Shack, my guess is that any other country that we were worried about in terms of picking up the transmissions probably wouldn't have too much difficulty as well.

They weren't able to unscrammble the comm

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
« Reply #12 on: 05/07/2007 04:31 pm »
True..and sorry for "comparing" two different unclassified DOD research flghts...geeeezz... but CBS was able to  monitor air-to-ground transmissions during the launch of STS-28 in 1989 which was a completely classified flight.  It sounded a bit staticy and muffled but was intelligible and audible and they braodcast it live during their launch coverage that day.

On STS-27 another 57-degree inclination flight on a classified DOD missiion the ABC reporter Jim Slade made a good point. "You have a 184-foot spacecraft on a  600-foot flame taking off from here and any 2-bit radar in a boat offshore can tell you which direciton it's going."

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
« Reply #13 on: 05/07/2007 04:33 pm »
Thanks, I was unsure sounded similar to Bowersox so I ventured a guess.

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
« Reply #15 on: 05/07/2007 04:54 pm »
Sorry you think it was "Stupid"... I am referring to the very standard air-to-ground calls relating to ascent milestones or orbiter systems during launch only... how in any possible way would they compromise the secrecyof the mission objectives or the DOD payload operations?  THAT is what I was referring to.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #16 on: 05/07/2007 05:13 pm »
AstroRJY - 7/5/2007  12:31 PM

True..and sorry for "comparing" two different unclassified DOD research flghts...geeeezz... but CBS was able to  monitor air-to-ground transmissions during the launch of STS-28 in 1989 which was a completely classified flight.  It sounded a bit staticy and muffled but was intelligible and audible and they braodcast it live during their launch coverage that day.

On STS-27 another 57-degree inclination flight on a classified DOD missiion the ABC reporter Jim Slade made a good point. "You have a 184-foot spacecraft on a  600-foot flame taking off from here and any 2-bit radar in a boat offshore can tell you which direciton it's going."

The point is they didn't know until launch.  They couldn't be prepositioned for a "better" view.  STS-53 wasn't "unclassified" ( i.e. where are the payload bay photos) and where does it say it is a research flight.  

The whole point of classifying all DOD flights was to make all the flights look the same and hide the important info amongst the rest of the info.  Titan was done the same way

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
« Reply #17 on: 05/07/2007 06:53 pm »
AstroRJY - 6/5/2007  3:21 PM

Glad you're so interested now : )  I was in 5th grade when Challenger happened and became very interested after that and was a total space nerd by the time I was in middle school.  Have you ever seen a lunch in person? It's awesome.  Better get down to Florida sometime before 2010 if you haven't!

Haven't seen a launch in person, though I greatly wish to before they wrap up the program.  But being a college student, money is a big issue :(  I'm hoping to give it a shot in the summer of 2009 or summer of 2010.

Offline Austin

• Extreme Veteran
  • Virginia
« Reply #18 on: 05/07/2007 09:47 pm »
Jim - 7/5/2007  9:04 AM

Austin - 7/5/2007  11:11 AM

They weren't able to unscrammble the comm

Jim, actually they were able to unscrammble the air-to-ground transmissions on more than one of the DOD's -- I heard them myself.  Not very hard to do.  Robert is right, and STS-28 was one only one of the missions during which CBS, as well as amateurs were able to do this with no problem.

But I agree with you that there really was no reason to try and encrypt the transmissions during ascent, and am sure NASA realized that too, and that is why they discontinued doing it.

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #19 on: 05/07/2007 10:48 pm »
QUOTE...+0: 21 JSC PAO Jeff Carr: Roll manuever's complete, placing Discovery and crew on the proper heading. Engines at 100%.
Question...Didn't all shuttle flights after STS-41G fly at either 104 or 104.5% thrust?

Offline Austin

• Extreme Veteran
  • Virginia
« Reply #20 on: 05/07/2007 11:06 pm »
TJL - 7/5/2007  3:48 PM

QUOTE...+0: 21 JSC PAO Jeff Carr: Roll manuever's complete, placing Discovery and crew on the proper heading. Engines at 100%.
Question...Didn't all shuttle flights after STS-41G fly at either 104 or 104.5% thrust?

The engines are throttled down to 67 or 72 percent of rated thrust (depending on the flight) at around the 26 second mark, and had already started throttling down.

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
« Reply #21 on: 05/07/2007 11:09 pm »
The 104% I think started around STS-6.  Sometimes they throttle at 100% for liftoff and go up to 104% at T+ 4 or 5 seconds, sometimes they stay at 100...also sometimes the commentator means to express they are at  full power and will say 100% meaing full.  As I recall the upgrade to 104% rated thrust debuted on STS-6  or somewhere in that area because the engines were improved and created more thrust than the previous early flights did at 100%.  I'm sure there's someone on here who can revise or extend that if it's in error.

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #22 on: 05/07/2007 11:23 pm »
AstroRJY...You are correct.
The first shuttle to fly at 104% was STS-6
STS-41B flew at 100% as did 41G...everyone after that I thought flew at either 104% or 104.5% thrust.

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
« Reply #23 on: 05/08/2007 12:23 am »
Austin you're on the right track but for this launch, the commentator was not expressing 100% in the process of throttling down though... throttling from one speed to another generally only takes all of 3 seconds.  Normally the throttle bucket starts when the computers onboard sense that the vehicle has reached a speed of about  Mach .8 which on recent flights has been at 30 or 31 seconds.  It ranges anywhere from 65-74% generally unless they are doing a 2-step throttle down as for example on 41-D (just one of several flights) where they went to 84% and held for a few seconds and then down to 65% before throtlling back up to 104.  Even on 51-L they had a 2-step throttle bucket where they went down to 94% for about 12 seconds before they went all the way down to 65% for max q then back up to 104.  

You can  hear another example if you watch the 61-C launch on the shuttlesource.com video section.
http://shuttlesource.com/library_clips.html

There are several different throttle profiles designed for the specific trajectories and orbits of each flight.

Offline Austin

• Extreme Veteran
  • Virginia
« Reply #24 on: 05/08/2007 01:35 am »
AstroRJY - 7/5/2007  5:23 PM

Austin you're on the right track but for this launch, the commentator was not expressing 100% in the process of throtlling down though... throttling from one speed to another generally only takes all of 3 seconds.  Normally the throttle bucket starts when the computers onboard sense that the vehicle has reached a speed of about  Mach .8 which on recent flights has been at 30 or 31 seconds.  It ranges anywhere from 65-74% generally unless they are doing a 2-step throtlle down as for example on 41-D (jsut one of several flights) where they went to 84% and held for a few seconds and then down to 65% before throtlling back up to 104.  Even on 51-L they had a 2-step throttle bucket where they went down to 94% for about 12 seconds before they went all the way down to 65% for max q then back up to 104.  There are several different throttle profiles designed for the specific trajectories and orbits of each flight.

Astro, here is an excerpt of the transcript provided by CNN of Endeavor's 15th flight just after liftoff...

(http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0011/30/se.13.html)

ROB NAVIAS, NASA: Houston now controlling the flight of Endeavor. Endeavor completing the roll. The shuttle now at a heads down, wing-level position for the 8 1/2 minute ride to orbit. Twenty-five seconds into the flight Endeavor's three liquid fuel main engines beginning to throttle back in a three-step fashion to 72 percent of rated of performance. That will reduce the stress on the shuttle as it breaks through the sound barrier.

Endeavor already 1 1/2 miles down range from the Kennedy Space Center. All systems reported to be in great shape. Fifty-two seconds into the flight, the main engines beginning to rev up to full throttle, 104 percent of rated performance.

The engines actually throttled back in a 3-step fashion here at the 25 second mark -- on the way down to 72 percent low.  But you are right, (not debating you here) some flights do use a 2-step throttle bucket.
Because it is cool to hear Bob Cabana's description (talking to Miles O'Brien), here is some more of the transcript...

CABANA: All those pops and crackles you hear, you can hear those in the cockpit. You're being pushed back in your seat. Everything's shaking and vibrating and you're trying to read the gauges. It's just an awesome sense of acceleration and speed. You can hear it as you accelerate through the atmosphere.

(and after SRB sep)...

CABANA: Miles, that's always a good feeling to get off those solids. Now it's just three main engines powering you uphill. It's smooth ride. Awesome. Unbelievable.

O'BRIEN: You know, I couldn't help but notice you teared up a little bit there. It's an emotional moment.

CABANA: You cannot help but have pride in what we do as a nation when you see a space shuttle take off and seeing your friends up there -- I've seen a bunch of them and I can't help it.

I remember seeing this one broadcast on CNN, and wondering how exhilarating the ride must be that it actually caused Cabana to tear up just remembering and watching it with Miles.

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
« Reply #25 on: 05/08/2007 03:15 am »
You know I was thinking after I posted that that somebody might bring that up, because Navias does do his commentaries that way... I suspect he means the engine throttles are staggered a few fractions of a second apart, just as they are started about 0.2 seconds apart, first right  then left then center and cutoff in the reverse order... in that context he means the same one-step from full to 2/3  is  done that way but he is talking about something different and probably shouldn't use the term "3-step fashion" because it sounds like something else.  (Navias is my least favorite ascent commentator.)  They don't go through 3 throttle settings going down form 104 to whatever the max q 2/3 setting is, it's all done at once and takes about 3-4 seconds.  If you ever watch some of the replays of the DOAMS long range tracker (northeast of the pad) when it's zoomed in tight on the lower  parts of the SRBS and engines you can literally see the throttling ocurring as the engine's shock diamond plumes go back upward into the engines slightly about 30 seconds into flight usually.  

Another thing to remember is that (according to Jay Greene, one of the shuttle flight directors form the 1980s), the data on the screens in Houston is on a slight delay, so what they are seeing on their screens is telemetry downlinked that actually happened 2-3 seconds before they see it showing up on their screens. Sorry for going on... just other info that occurred to me and wanted to throw that in there.

Loved the CNN transcript!  Thanks for putting all that on here too,  great stuff.

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
« Reply #26 on: 05/08/2007 07:04 am »
AstroRJY - 7/5/2007  10:15 PM

You know I was thinking after I posted that that somebody might bring that up, because Navias does do his commentaries that way... I suspect he means the engine throttles are staggered a few fractions of a second apart, just as they are started about 0.2 seconds apart, first right  then left then center and cutoff in the reverse order... in that context he means the same one-step from full to 2/3  is  done that way but he is talking about something different and probably shouldn't use the term "3-step fashion" because it sounds like something else.  (Navias is my least favorite ascent commentator.)  They don't go through 3 throttle settings going down form 104 to whatever the max q 2/3 setting is, it's all done at once and takes abotu 3-4 seconds.  If you ever watch some of the replays of the DOAMS long range tracker (northeast of the pad) when it's zoomed in tight on the lower  parts of the SRBS and engines you cna literally see the throttling ocurring as the engine's shock diamond plumes go back upward into the engines slightly about 30 seconds into flight usually.  

Another thing to remember is that (according to Jay Greene, one of the shuttle flight directors form the 1980s), the data on the screens in Houston is on a slight delay, so what they are seeing on their screens is telemetry downlinked that actually happened 2-3 seconds before they see it showing up n their screens. Sorry for going on... just other info that occurred to me and wanted to throw that in there.

Loved the CNN transcript!  Thanks for putting all that on here too,  great stuff.

I find it interesting that you brought up the view of the throttling of the engines from the DOAMS long-range tracker (Playalinda DOAMS to be more specific).  I have actually noticed that particular view of the engines and I always wondered whether or not that was the throttling of the engines.  The most recent shot I remember of that view was during the ascent of Discovery on STS-121.  Thanks for clarifying that, as I've often wondered :) Thanks for the great info!

Offline TexasRED

• Houston
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: STS-53 Discovery launch video, transcript, pics
« Reply #27 on: 06/04/2010 03:09 pm »
I hate to dig up this old topic, but does anyone still have the video the OP posted? This was my first launch to see and I knew one of the crew members so I'm trying to dig up anything I can find on it.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #28 on: 06/04/2010 06:54 pm »
I hate to dig up this old topic, but does anyone still have the video the OP posted? This was my first launch to see and I knew one of the crew members so I'm trying to dig up anything I can find on it.

http://www.nss.org/resources/library/shuttlevideos/shuttle52.htm

Offline TexasRED

• Houston
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #29 on: 06/04/2010 07:03 pm »
Awesome! Thanks!

Offline penguin44

• Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 334