Author Topic: OSIRIS-REx/OSIRIS-APEX Mission Updates  (Read 141875 times)

Offline eeergo

OSIRIS-REx/OSIRIS-APEX Mission Updates
« on: 09/27/2017 10:42 am »
Starting this thread after OSIRIS-REx's flyby of Earth on September 22nd, dealing with mission updates now that the trajectory towards Bennu has been roughly acquired.

Launch thread: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=26459.0

Beautiful Earth IR and VIS/IR spectra acquired during last week's flyby. Smooth curves show reference spectra for black bodies at different temperatures, indicating what the spectrum would look like with no absorption/emission.
« Last Edit: 11/08/2018 12:19 am by eeergo »
-DaviD-

Offline NGCHunter

• Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: OSIRIS-REx/OSIRIS-APEX Mission Updates
« Reply #1 on: 09/27/2017 05:57 pm »
I tracked the flyby of OSIRIS-REx using telescopes from the iTelescope network in Australia, New Mexico, and my own personal telescope in Florida.  Here are my images of the flyby as well as the resulting astrometry and orbital data:

Looks like it's on-course for Bennu, as expected.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72406
« Reply #2 on: 10/13/2017 06:40 pm »
OSIRIS-REx Images Earth and the Moon in Color
October 10, 2017
https://www.asteroidmission.org/?latest-news=osiris-rex-images-earth-moon-color

This color composite image of Earth and the Moon was taken Oct. 2, 2017 (ten days after OSIRIS-REx performed its Earth Gravity Assist maneuver), using MapCam, the mid-range scientific camera onboard the spacecraft. The distance to Earth was approximately 3,180,000 miles (5,120,000 km)—or about 13 times the distance between the Earth and Moon.

MapCam, part of the OSIRIS-REx Camera Suite (OCAMS) operated by the University of Arizona, has four color filters. To produce this image, three of them (b, v and w) were treated as a blue-green-red triplet, co-registered and stacked. The Earth and Moon were each color-corrected, and the Moon was “stretched” (brightened) to make it more easily visible.

To capture the image, OSIRIS-REx pointed its instrument deck back toward Earth from a distance of approximately 3,180,000 miles (5,120,000 km). At that range, the Moon—which was 3,370,000 miles (5,420,000 km) away from the spacecraft—appeared just inside MapCam’s field of view, allowing both planetary bodies to be captured in the same frame.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline DF2MZ

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 01/19/2018 01:00 pm »
I am not sure if this is exactly the best thread to post. Moderators feel free to move elsewhere if appropriate.

After the earth flyby I observed Osiris-Rex's x-band downlink up to a distance of 10 Mio km. It was transmitting on its LGA then.
On Monday, Jan 15th it switched to its HGA and is now in reach of my small x-band dish again at a distance of roughly 63 Mkm. It is a solid carrier signal. Here is the screenshot from this mornings downlink session with Canberra.

The carrier switches on and quickly locks on the ground station at 03:00 UTC. The signal switches off at 04:45 UTC. The massive vertical line at 0 Hz is an artifact of my receiver.
« Last Edit: 01/19/2018 01:04 pm by DF2MZ »

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #4 on: 05/17/2018 05:03 am »
OSIRIS-REx Touch and Go (TAG) and Sample Stow Sequence

OSIRIS-REx Mission
Published on May 16, 2018

This (silent) animation shows the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft deploying its Touch and Go Sample Acquisition Mechanism (TAGSAM) to collect a sample of regolith (loose rocks and dirt) from the surface of asteroid Bennu. The sampler head, with the regolith safely inside, is then sealed up in the spacecraft's Sample Return Capsule, which will be returned to Earth on Sept. 24, 2023. Scientists will study the sample for clues about the early solar system and the origins of life.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3363
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #5 on: 06/26/2018 06:56 pm »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #6 on: 08/21/2018 04:00 am »
August 20, 2018
MEDIA ADVISORY M18-123
NASA to Host Media Briefing on Mission to Return Asteroid Sample to Earth

Illustration of NASA's Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security-Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx) spacecraft at the asteroid Bennu.

Credits: NASA

NASA will host a media teleconference at 2 p.m. EDT Friday, Aug. 24, to provide an update on upcoming activities related to the agency’s first mission to return a sample of an asteroid to Earth.

The Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security-Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx) spacecraft, which launched on Sept. 8, 2016, started asteroid science operations last week, began imaging asteroid Bennu for the first time, and is now preparing to conduct the necessary approach maneuvers to rendezvous with Bennu on Dec. 3. 

The mission represents a valuable opportunity to learn more about the origins of our solar system, the sources of water and organic molecules on Earth, and the hazards and resources in near-Earth space. 

The briefing participants are:

Lori Glaze, acting director of the Planetary Science Division at NASA Headquarters
    Dante Lauretta, OSIRIS-REx principal investigator at the University of Arizona, Tucson
    Michael Moreau, OSIRIS-REx flight dynamics system manager at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center
    Sandy Freund, OSIRIS-REx mission support area manager at Lockheed Martin Space

Media who would like to ask questions by phone must send an email with their name and affiliation to Lonnie Shekhtman at [email protected] by noon Aug. 24. Questions also can be submitted during the teleconference via Twitter using the hashtag #askNASA.

Audio of the teleconference will be streamed at:

https://www.nasa.gov/live

For more information about the OSIRIS-REx mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/osiris-rex

-end-
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #7 on: 08/25/2018 08:18 pm »
https://tucson.com/news/local/university-of-arizona-led-osiris-rex-mission-gets-first-glimpse/article_1366b3c7-8274-5d45-9d03-65958ea77ce1.html

The asteroid appeared as a speck of light to the spacecraft’s UA-built PolyCam camera, but Bennu will seem to grow now that OSIRIS-REx has begun the approach phase of the mission.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #8 on: 08/25/2018 08:22 pm »
August 20, 2018
MEDIA ADVISORY M18-123
NASA to Host Media Briefing on Mission to Return Asteroid Sample to Earth

Illustration of NASA's Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security-Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx) spacecraft at the asteroid Bennu.

Credits: NASA

NASA will host a media teleconference at 2 p.m. EDT Friday, Aug. 24, to provide an update on upcoming activities related to the agency’s first mission to return a sample of an asteroid to Earth.

The Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security-Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx) spacecraft, which launched on Sept. 8, 2016, started asteroid science operations last week, began imaging asteroid Bennu for the first time, and is now preparing to conduct the necessary approach maneuvers to rendezvous with Bennu on Dec. 3. 

The mission represents a valuable opportunity to learn more about the origins of our solar system, the sources of water and organic molecules on Earth, and the hazards and resources in near-Earth space. 

Lori Glaze, acting director of the Planetary Science Division at NASA Headquarters
    Dante Lauretta, OSIRIS-REx principal investigator at the University of Arizona, Tucson
    Michael Moreau, OSIRIS-REx flight dynamics system manager at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center

Media who would like to ask questions by phone must send an email with their name and affiliation to Lonnie Shekhtman at [email protected] by noon Aug. 24. Questions also can be submitted during the teleconference via Twitter using the hashtag #askNASA.

Audio of the teleconference will be streamed at:

https://www.nasa.gov/live

For more information about the OSIRIS-REx mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/osiris-rex

-end-

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/13012

OSIRIS-REx Approach Media Telecon
Released on August 24, 2018
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
More Sharing Services
NASA is hosting a media teleconference at 2 p.m. EDT Friday, Aug. 24, to provide an update on upcoming activities related to the agency’s first mission to return a sample of an asteroid to Earth.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a010000/a013000/a013012/1_Jones_OSIRIS-REx_Arrival.mp4

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a010000/a013000/a013012/Bennu_08-17-2018_3-video.mp4

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a010000/a013000/a013012/1_Moreau_Cruise_Approach.mp4

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a010000/a013000/a013012/2_Moreau_Preliminary_Survey.mp4

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/thumbnails/image/bennu-08-17-2018-3tight.gif?itok=pIq0FAFi
« Last Edit: 08/25/2018 08:25 pm by Targeteer »

Offline eeergo

-DaviD-

Offline eeergo

« Reply #10 on: 10/31/2018 02:24 pm »
-DaviD-

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #11 on: 11/05/2018 11:28 pm »
https://www.asteroidmission.org/bennu-at-160-and-200-px/

Two Sides of Bennu

These two super-resolution views of asteroid Bennu were created using eight 2.5-millisecond exposure images captured by OSIRIS-REx on two separate days. The view on the left is composed of eight PolyCam images taken over the span of two minutes on Nov. 1, 2018, when the spacecraft was about 126 miles (203 km) from the asteroid. The one on the right – showing the opposite side of the asteroid – was generated using eight images taken during the same two-minute time slot on Nov. 2, from a distance of about 122 miles (196 km).

Date Taken: Nov. 1 and 2, 2018

Instrument Used: PolyCam

Credit: NASA/Goddard/University of Arizona

Offline TakeOff

• Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #12 on: 11/05/2018 11:32 pm »
What's that dot in the dark to the right? Oh, darn. It's Hayabusa 2. They went to the same asteroid! The IAU messed up the naming of this spin top object. Lost in translation. Better coordination next time.
 ;D
« Last Edit: 11/05/2018 11:33 pm by TakeOff »

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #13 on: 11/06/2018 04:17 am »
How to tell the difference between Ryugu and Bennu?

Poor ol' Bennu has a zit on its face.  ;)

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 1424
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: 11/06/2018 11:43 pm »
"Oh no!!!  Just before my date with OSIRIX-REX I get this ugly zit."

Offline redliox

• Illinois USA
  • Liked: 683
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #15 on: 11/07/2018 02:59 am »
How big would that zit boulder be?  Also I hope it doesn't end up keeping that name in the end....  :o
"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow."
-Tigatron

Offline mcgyver

• milan, rome
  • Liked: 182
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #16 on: 11/07/2018 06:59 am »
How big would that zit boulder be?  Also I hope it doesn't end up keeping that name in the end....  :o
Bennu diameter is around 500m.

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 750
  • Likes Given: 20639
« Reply #17 on: 11/07/2018 07:01 am »
Bennu has an outie.  Ryugu has an... innie?

Offline mcgyver

• milan, rome
  • Liked: 182
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #18 on: 11/07/2018 01:58 pm »
Found details on Osiris-Rex cameras:

FOVs:
Polycam:  0.8°
MapCam:  4°
SamCam: ?
NavCam 1 & 2: 40°

All but NavCam have 1024x1024 sensor; Navcam sensor is 2592x1944

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20170011463.pdf

For comparison:
Hayabusa cameras have 5.7° and 60° FOVs.
Ryugu asteroid diameter is around 900m.

« Last Edit: 11/07/2018 02:01 pm by mcgyver »

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
« Reply #19 on: 11/07/2018 03:57 pm »

Assuming five hundred meters in diameter and slicing halves on my phone with my finger, I'd say the zit is fifteen meters or so across.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography