Author Topic: Who should be the next NASA Administrator?  (Read 66883 times)

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 1933
  • Likes Given: 2228
Re: Who should be the next NASA Administrator?
« Reply #300 on: 05/11/2017 07:23 PM »
Read a little more about the pace of this administration's appointments. They are way behind.

Given that, it is unsurprising about NASA, which is not as important to the administration as other agencies that still lack leadership.

What the current Administration doesn't seem to understand is that they are temporary stewards of an organization (i.e. the U.S. Government) that has existed for hundreds of years, and unless they screw it up should last for hundreds of years more.  So every part of the government needs to be managed simultaneously, not serially.

No doubt there are plenty of qualified candidates to choose from to be NASA Administrator, and there isn't much they should be needing from NASA that relates to anything Trump is going to focus on during his first term in office.  This should be an easy pick to get out of the way, but Trump is too concerned about watching what people say about him on TV (he LOVES Tivo).

My $0.02
« Last Edit: 05/12/2017 03:09 PM by Coastal Ron »
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Online QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 2671
  • Likes Given: 650
« Reply #301 on: 05/11/2017 10:45 PM »
True, but there is a difference between being nominated and taking office
Bolden was nominated on May 23.

... and it's only May 12. No-one cares about NASA, it's a nothing agency.

Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? The slowest possible.

Offline Political Hack Wannabe

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #302 on: 05/12/2017 04:36 AM »
True, but there is a difference between being nominated and taking office
Bolden was nominated on May 23.

... and it's only May 12. No-one cares about NASA, it's a nothing agency.

If no one truly cared about NASA, it would've been cancelled. However, more to your point

1)  It is certainly still within a "reasonable" timeframe for appointing a new NASA administrator, and if you go back to Sean O'Keefe, it was much later (O'Keefe did not take office until Dec of 2001) 

2)  However, I think the more valid point is looking at the number of appointments that Trump hasn't made.  Most administrations have many more people at least nominated, which means they are able to get to lower priority agencies. 

Would I prefer a NASA admin sooner rather than later?  Yes.

Do I expect it ?  No

With an administration that moves MUCH slower on appointments than previous administrations, am I expecting to see them move fast on low levels?   No

So, I am not expecting, nor surprised, by the lack of movement at this point. 

It's not democrats vs republicans, it's reality vs innumerate space cadet fantasy.

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 366
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #303 on: 05/12/2017 03:10 PM »
Elon Musk?
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #304 on: 05/12/2017 04:15 PM »
I feel NASA deserves that. Especially now, where they seem to be a bit adrift without a rudder.

I would not automatically assume that lack of an administrator is all bad.

I know some people at other government agencies/departments who don't have leadership in place. The surprising thing is that they're not getting supervision at all. Supervision is not always a good thing. According to one of them, in prior administrations every little thing their office did had to be approved at the upper levels. Now, they simply do it and send a notification. That's made their job a lot easier and efficient.

agreed.  Nor would I assume that a lack of agency head means that agency is adrift without a rudder.  There was plenty of work to be done on a wide variety of projects and tasks, and that work continues today.  Hey, its not like everyone at the FBI is suddenly just sitting at their desks twiddling their thumbs and waiting for a new boss (despite how the media has reacted).  Dont worry, the work continues...until further notice :)
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 174
« Reply #305 on: 05/12/2017 07:35 PM »
To be fair, Trump has been attacked on every front.  He has had WH leaks, bad press, etc.  This slows down things drastically.  If he truely had transitional support, the NASA administrator would have already been appointed. 

Offline Coastal Ron

« Reply #306 on: 05/12/2017 10:57 PM »
To be fair, Trump has been attacked on every front.  He has had WH leaks, bad press, etc.  This slows down things drastically.  If he truely had transitional support, the NASA administrator would have already been appointed.

Actually Trump says he's moving so fast that his press people can't keep up with him.

As to leaks, every administration has leaks, both official (i.e. "off record") and unofficial (i.e. chatty personnel).

NASA doesn't need to be a priority at this moment in history, since there is nothing new for NASA to take on that would need a NASA Administrator to administrate, and the Trump's proposed budget is pretty much already set in stone for the next year.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Mr. Scott

• Very nice!
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 331
« Reply #307 on: 05/14/2017 10:24 AM »
Gerst? Would he even want the job?
Right now (May 2017) I'm thinking put Gerst in there as the administrator.  If he says no, draft him. 

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 637
  • Likes Given: 1132
« Reply #308 on: 05/14/2017 10:44 AM »
Elon Musk?
Why does this idea keep cropping up, as if it were a good idea or something?! Some people don't seem to be aware of the concept of conflict of interest, let alone the context of all this. I hope you're kidding - because Elon is not going to give up his company leadership to take on a politically-appointed job where he would have to answer to a President and earn a lot less money than he does now. Elon Musk is better off right where he is. NASA needs an efficient bureaucrat - and maybe one that can think a little outside the box at that. So Musk as head of NASA simply isn't going to happen!!
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 637
  • Likes Given: 1132
« Reply #309 on: 05/14/2017 10:47 AM »
And Mr Gerstenmaier has the smarts and the experience. They could do far worse than appointing him. But something tells me it just might not be his style.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 610
  • Likes Given: 314
« Reply #310 on: 05/14/2017 01:07 PM »
Gerst might have the patience and personal skills to deal with the mercurial Trump.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2049
  • Likes Given: 695
« Reply #311 on: 05/14/2017 01:12 PM »
Gerst might have the patience and personal skills to deal with the mercurial Trump.

Of course he might not want the job! Even if he does, doesn't the administration want someone who they see as a strong supporter of Trump? Based on some of the appointments so far, it isn't about having any expertise in the relevant area  :'(

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 2513
  • Likes Given: 3518
« Reply #312 on: 05/16/2017 10:28 AM »

So just put Gerst in there.

Folks like Elon Musk, you know.... haven't launched a single human being any higher than a quarter of an inch above ground level.  If he showed up for the job, in my opinion he wouldn't be prepared and would just get a long conversation every day from Gerst in order to get him up to speed. Elon has a very useful role right now, but don't get too ahead of reality.

Reality is in the eyes of the beholder...
1. What we don't need is a career bureaucrat
2. NASA's way is not necessarily the only (or best) way
3. EM already has a journey to Mars planned and being implemented (let's not distract him)

Gerst could get him up to speed on what?  How that SLS/Orion thing is coming along?
« Last Edit: 05/16/2017 11:07 AM by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6216
  • Likes Given: 4564
« Reply #313 on: 05/17/2017 04:32 AM »
Gerst is not a political appointee. I much prefer him in his current non-partisan role.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline AncientU

« Reply #314 on: 05/17/2017 02:05 PM »

Haley Byrd Twitter:
I asked Jim Bridenstine when Trump is going to get around to making him NASA administrator. He hasn't heard from them in a month. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/864707718740942848

Offline butters

• Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #315 on: 05/17/2017 03:00 PM »
Even if Trump were really pushing for his nominations, GOP Congressional leadership seems to be reluctant to let members accept positions in the Trump administration because they are worried about the special elections in this political climate. Meanwhile, prospective appointees are concerned that taking a job in this administration will damage their careers.

Trump's Mars by 2024 (at worst!) remark is one example of how he might undercut a NASA Administrator by publicly contradicting the NASA policy and making impromptu assertions which are virtually impossible to defend with facts. The President repeatedly takes his staff by surprise, puts them in no-win situations, and then rages at them for failing to control the narrative. Not just two or three times, but over and over again on a seemingly daily basis.

Rep. Bridenstine is not my cup of tea politically speaking, but when his name popped up for this position I read up on his views on NASA policy and was pleasantly surprised. I'd be thrilled to have him running NASA rather than voting in the House. I hope that the White House can manage a scandal-free day where they can focus on moving the ball forward on appointments, and I hope that Rep. Bridenstine has the unbelievable courage to take this job if asked. I could not blame him if he ultimately decides that the House of Representatives is a less dysfunctional workplace than the alternative on offer.

Offline AncientU

« Reply #316 on: 05/18/2017 05:28 PM »
Todays 'update:'
Bridenstine at NASA - and Pace at NSC - Expected Soon
Sources continue to report that Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-OK) is still the Administration's preferred choice to become NASA Administrator and that they expect to nominate him in the coming weeks.

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2017/05/bridenstine-at.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nasawatch%2FAekt+%28NASA+Watch%29

Offline AncientU

« Reply #317 on: 06/07/2017 08:45 PM »
As predicted, the Alabama mafia is blocking action on pro-PPP NASA administration and Nat'l Space Council. 
Will these guys ever quit? (rhetorical question only...)

Eric Berger:
Two: Specific line from speech was "Increased collaboration with the commercial space industry." Details will be important, but interesting.
https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/872527005169967105

Brian Weeden:
I'm hearing that fight (big NASA rockets in Alabama vs commercial rockets) is what's holding up the Space Council and new NASA Administrator
https://twitter.com/brianweeden/status/872528184016818176

And Pence (as VP) is still the head-apparent of NSC.

Jeff foust:
Pence announcing Trump will relaunch the National Space Council, which he will chair.
https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/872524507541647360
« Last Edit: 06/07/2017 08:47 PM by AncientU »

Offline Coastal Ron

« Reply #318 on: 06/07/2017 09:10 PM »
For an administration that wants to do a lot of things, they sure move slowly.

At this point in Obama's first term he had just announced the selection of Charles Bolden to be NASA Administrator (May 23, 2009), and the Augustine II Commission (i.e. "Review of United States Human Space Flight Plans Committee") had been kicked off 4 weeks prior (May 7, 2009).

It has been noted that Trump is now famous for saying "two weeks" for when his administration will do something or announce something, but rarely even comes close to that. So we'll have to see how Pence does with his proclamations.

And we shouldn't be surprised that a politicians proclamation seems to be the opposite of what it actually does, so when Pence said:

...that NASA would continue to have the resources it needs to “make history”...

That's hard to square with the budget request they have submitted to Congress - which pretty much keeps the major Obama-era NASA going programs as-is. The term "make history" has a lot of high expectations surrounding it, and Trump/Pence really only have about 3 years to make that a reality - while competing against Elon Musk and his efforts to colonize Mars.

Talk about tough acts to follow...

So probably any reasonable person to be the NASA Administrator will be welcome, and if it is Bridenstine he will likely be acceptable to all concerned.

As I've said before though, for this moment in history I would not expect much new out of NASA regardless of who the President is. There just isn't enough interest in spending U.S. Taxpayer money on new big efforts in space, and no real problem that doing so addresses (i.e. ISIS is not in space, and building giant rockets does not fix our transportation infrastructure or reduce our national debt). So Pence raising expectations is not going to turn out to be a good idea in the long run...

My $0.02

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 4679
  • Likes Given: 3167
« Reply #319 on: 06/07/2017 09:51 PM »
Been mostly ignoring this thread but the cartoons and gibes are not the level we expect here...

Some trimming.
« Last Edit: 06/07/2017 10:42 PM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags: