Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : CRS-12 : Aug 14, 2017 : DISCUSSION  (Read 122473 times)

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 968
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 : CRS-12 : Aug 14, 2017 : DISCUSSION
« Reply #220 on: 08/18/2017 09:21 pm »
Once Block 5 is in full rotation and a few are brought back and reflown to validate re-use certification models/processes, this all becomes much easier for NASA and DOD and commercial clients for that matter. So barring any unforeseen Block 5 incidents, I think 2018 is the year that reuse becomes fully operational, transparent, formalized/certified and fully accepted/enjoined industry wide. And thus, the first game, set, match goes to SpaceX.

Let's see if anyone besides BO cares to challenge for the next one...
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline georgegassaway

• George's Rockets
  • Liked: 286
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #221 on: 08/18/2017 09:40 pm »
Meanwhile, as NASA and DOD uses new F9's for their flights, those boosters, assuming they land safely, can be reflown for other customers. 

Only really a serious issue if SpaceX wanted to build fewer new boosters than NASA and DOD wanted to fly aboard. SpaceX would have to get a lot of reflights out of each booster before that's much of a problem.

So far, only 2 re-flights, both with "hot" re-entries which makes it unlikely those boosters will ever fly again. If they wanted to establish that a booster could say re-fly 5 times, they'd want to do it with mild re-entries. Perhaps they will shoot for that once Block 5 is operational, and could be why they didn't do milder re-entries with the two re-flights since those are not B-5's.

Theory and plans are one thing (FH in "6 months" TM), proven record of boosters re-flying 5 to 10 times each without a problem..... not going to see that established for years (flight rate and refurbishment time, even if things go well).

Totally understandable that some customers, such as NASA and DOD, would want to see proof with a real track record.

Just sayin'.....
« Last Edit: 08/18/2017 09:43 pm by georgegassaway »
Info on my flying Lunar Module Quadcopter: https://tinyurl.com/LunarModuleQuadcopter

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #222 on: 08/18/2017 10:16 pm »
That's possible... and NASA and DOD will forfeit their 'leadership' role.
They will still have the biggest checkbooks, so all will continue to kowtow to them, but all will know...
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2403
  • Likes Given: 10203
« Reply #223 on: 08/18/2017 10:23 pm »
So far, only 2 re-flights, both with "hot" re-entries which makes it unlikely those boosters will ever fly again.

Is that your supposition, or is this based on information provided by SpaceX?

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2279
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #224 on: 08/18/2017 11:02 pm »

So far, only 2 re-flights, both with "hot" re-entries which makes it unlikely those boosters will ever fly again.

Is that your supposition, or is this based on information provided by SpaceX?

We know that the first reflown booster will be put on display at the CCAFS.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25223
  • Likes Given: 12114
  May have been the 1.7Mlb-f version just flown below the new maximum thrust level though.  Not necessarily inconsistent to have info saying that CRS-12 flew with up-rated engines and data showing that the launch didn't, assuming the higher maximum, use full thrust. 
You don't fly higher-thrust engines for the first time if you do not intend to utilize that higher thrust.
This is not obvious to me.  At some point you start qualifying your engines to a new, higher, maximum thrust.  You incorporate the new engines into new boosters as they are built.   Now suppose the first mission for the new booster does not require the new maximum thrust.   What are you going to do?   Use the new maximum thrust just because you can?  That seems wrong, running at higher ratings surely increases the risk.  Swap if for a booster with crappier engines?  That seems wrong too.

I believe the Shuttle had engine settings which were developed, and qualified, but never intended to be used.  They were reserved for abort scenarios.
Every time SpaceX introduced more powerfull engines on their rockets they immediately made use of the increased power. There is no valid reason not to do so.
They flew Merlin 1C at partial thrust on Falcon 1 because it wasn't yet qualified for fuller thrust (that'd be for Falcon 1e, which never flew).
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2316
« Reply #226 on: 08/19/2017 05:14 am »
Is it better to push the corners, or demonstrate cycle rate?  Push the corners first, then cycle at the corners.
Of course, they have the numbers to cycle a LEO booster and a GTO.

Offline Bananas_on_Mars

• Liked: 448
  • Likes Given: 251
  May have been the 1.7Mlb-f version just flown below the new maximum thrust level though.  Not necessarily inconsistent to have info saying that CRS-12 flew with up-rated engines and data showing that the launch didn't, assuming the higher maximum, use full thrust. 
You don't fly higher-thrust engines for the first time if you do not intend to utilize that higher thrust.
This is not obvious to me.  At some point you start qualifying your engines to a new, higher, maximum thrust.  You incorporate the new engines into new boosters as they are built.   Now suppose the first mission for the new booster does not require the new maximum thrust.   What are you going to do?   Use the new maximum thrust just because you can?  That seems wrong, running at higher ratings surely increases the risk.  Swap if for a booster with crappier engines?  That seems wrong too.

I believe the Shuttle had engine settings which were developed, and qualified, but never intended to be used.  They were reserved for abort scenarios.
Every time SpaceX introduced more powerfull engines on their rockets they immediately made use of the increased power. There is no valid reason not to do so.
They flew Merlin 1C at partial thrust on Falcon 1 because it wasn't yet qualified for fuller thrust (that'd be for Falcon 1e, which never flew).

On missions where you don't need the extra performance, maybe they simply reserve the uprated thrust for engine-out scenarios?
With the uprated thrust, they still might be able to recover a stage if the affected engine(s) are not the 3 restartable ones.
At least in the past, i think an engine-out scenario would almost always result in loss of the first stage because it would use up their landing fuel reserves.

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 3041
On missions where you don't need the extra performance, maybe they simply reserve the uprated thrust for engine-out scenarios?
With the uprated thrust, they still might be able to recover a stage if the affected engine(s) are not the 3 restartable ones.
At least in the past, i think an engine-out scenario would almost always result in loss of the first stage because it would use up their landing fuel reserves.
There are several flaws in this thinking.
1 - SpaceX knows engine margins, you and I DON'T

2 - The more thrust you use on the first stage, except for the throttle down during MaxQ, the least gravity losses you get, which gives you much better margins should an engine failure happen later. A more lofted trajectory can be used, resulting in a higher altitude separation, with marginally lower horizontal speeds.

3 - The assumption that SpaceX is somehow reducing its safety margins, just because thrust is higher seems intuitive and maybe true, but its likely wrong. The last time a Merlin failed was still first generation Falcons with their M1Cs. So far M1D SL/Vac have a perfect safety track. I think the total safety margin is huge, otherwise SpaceX wouldn't be telling us that all engines that landed were fine for reuse (I suspect the parts requiring substantial refurb are mostly or exclusively related to areas that get little heating on the way up but get lots of heating on the way down, M1D was designed with margin for extensive reuse from the start).

Its perfectly possible both scenarios where CRS12 wasn't a full Block IV booster yet or that it had the higher thrust but NASA simply said: we're fine with old thrust levels, we don't want to risk being the first ones, but once you demonstrate 2 launches at higher thrust, then we're on board. There isn't enough data to conclude it either way.

Engineering is done with sufficient safety margins. If it breaks at thrust x on ground testing, something like 10 or even 20% lower thrust is used. By requalifying M1Ds for higher thrust, SpaceX either didn't have the capability (or didn't have the need to use higher thrust at the time) to break at higher thrust than now or they simply managed to run at higher thrust levels with some changes. I truly doubt SpaceX is reducing safety margins by using higher thrust. Running at much higher safety margins might not appreciably increase safety margins, much like running your car at 50% or 75% power levels doesn't destroy the engine either way (as long as proper maintenance is performed). Aviation engines are routinely run at 100% power for hours at a time, the difference between 100% and 75% power being used most of the time is the overhaul bill rather than time to engine destruction.

Its always fun to speculate wildly, but its also hugely unproductive, and very likely to lead to wildly incorrect conclusions.
« Last Edit: 08/19/2017 04:20 pm by macpacheco »
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 9169
« Reply #229 on: 08/19/2017 06:01 pm »
Not to break up discussion about thrust ratings, but I saw something in the full launch-to-landing telephotography video that I wanted to point out, in case anyone missed it.  Starting at 6:44, and ending at 6:47 (you might want to slow the video down to get a good look), a ring of 8 shock trails form between the engines and over legs, coinciding with the booster going transonic.

At first I thought this was exhaust from engine startup, especially given that it ends almost exactly as the engine starts.  However, it seems too uniform and too far up the booster to be coming from the center engine, the only one that lights during this burn.  Furthermore, similar effects form around the grid fins, and engine ignition changes the environment around the base of the rocket anyways, so it makes sense that it would end such formations.

I love formations like these, and this is a really interesting one - the incoming airflow being squeezed between the eight outer engines produces a pattern that you probably won't find anywhere else!
« Last Edit: 08/19/2017 06:05 pm by Craftyatom »
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Offline Danny452

• London, UK
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #230 on: 08/20/2017 12:37 pm »
"Continuous Close Up Footage of Launch Through Landing of the CRS-12 Falcon 9!" from Astronomy Live:

This video from the Updates thread shows a fast flip of the first stage with a main engine starting before the flip is complete.  The flip must throw propellant to the top of the tanks.  Do the nitrogen thrusters provide ullage?  Or does TEA/TEB give the necessary thrust as well as lighting the engine?  Or is there some other mechanism?

Offline jpo234

« Reply #231 on: 08/20/2017 12:44 pm »
Regarding thrust: Higher thrust means higher G-forces, right? How much can the mice take?
« Last Edit: 08/20/2017 12:44 pm by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

« Reply #232 on: 08/20/2017 11:07 pm »
Just another day on the beach ... :)

Credit to https://www.instagram.com/marcuscote_photo/

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #233 on: 08/20/2017 11:18 pm »
"Continuous Close Up Footage of Launch Through Landing of the CRS-12 Falcon 9!" from Astronomy Live:

This video from the Updates thread shows a fast flip of the first stage with a main engine starting before the flip is complete.  The flip must throw propellant to the top of the tanks.  Do the nitrogen thrusters provide ullage?  Or does TEA/TEB give the necessary thrust as well as lighting the engine?  Or is there some other mechanism?

As far as I know, the Nitrogen thrusters do provide ullage. It's hard to tell because the 2nd stage is firing, but it looks to me like the thrusters were firing prior to 1st stage re-ignition for the boost-back burn.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline jpo234

« Reply #234 on: 08/20/2017 11:20 pm »

Regarding thrust: Higher thrust means higher G-forces, right? How much can the mice take?

Ping! Could it be, that SpaceX had to hold back the higher thrust of Block 4 so that they didn't flatten the mice?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #235 on: 08/21/2017 12:23 am »

Ping! Could it be, that SpaceX had to hold back the higher thrust of Block 4 so that they didn't flatten the mice?

no, because they throttle the engines before MECO

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6799
  • Likes Given: 2963
« Reply #236 on: 08/21/2017 02:59 am »
G forces are not an issue in the early part of launch, where extra thrust would be most useful but wasn't observed.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #237 on: 08/23/2017 12:34 am »
Just to provide another potential option:

Since they have 9 engines on the first stage, they could have run 1 (or more?) at the higher thrust and used lower thrust on the remaining to end up with the same overall vehicle thrust.  Doing this would allow them an excellent chance to analyze the performance of the uprated engines in comparison to past engines in a range of performances (i.e. higher, equal, and lower thrust).  Would be especially nice as they get the engines back for hands-on study post flight.

I'm not saying that this was done.  Only that it is a scenario that is also compatible with available data.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline OneSpeed

• Liked: 4897
  • Likes Given: 2063
« Reply #238 on: 08/23/2017 04:00 am »
... Since they have 9 engines on the first stage, they could have run 1 (or more?) at the higher thrust and used lower thrust on the remaining to end up with the same overall vehicle thrust.  Doing this would allow them an excellent chance to analyze the performance of the uprated engines in comparison to past engines in a range of performances (i.e. higher, equal, and lower thrust).  Would be especially nice as they get the engines back for hands-on study post flight.

I'm not saying that this was done.  Only that it is a scenario that is also compatible with available data.

Another option is higher throttle after staging, which presents less risk to the primary mission. E.g. For the CRS-11 boostback burn ( http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42389.msg1686855#msg1686855 ) ascent was at 91% of Block 5 thrust, and boostback at 97.5%. CRS-12 however, appears to have used 91% and 90% respectively.

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
First reused one to return twice... nice going SpaceX
I think you may have your Dragons mixed up :)
« Last Edit: 09/18/2017 12:02 am by pb2000 »
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography