Author Topic: AIDA and DART asteroid impact missions  (Read 12487 times)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7773
  • Likes Given: 2
AIDA and DART asteroid impact missions
« on: 01/13/2017 04:16 pm »
Asteroid Impact & Deflection Assessment (AIDA)

Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART)

I listened to this presentation and I was not sure if the American part is actually funded. The European part, AIDA, got rejected for funding, but apparently there is the possibility that might be reversed.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/sbag/meetings/jan2017/presentations/index.shtml

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
Re: AIDA and DART asteroid impact missions
« Reply #2 on: 01/19/2017 02:20 am »
sorry to be the guy who immediately brings up launch, but...

How does this thing rideshare to GTO? >2m. cube form factor and 700kg. What is there in the US fleet that can accommodate that? Too big for ESPA ring. ULA has Dual Spacecraft System, but I don't think they've ever flown that. Does spacex have anything like DSS or SYLDA? I doubt this thing can mount directly to another customer's satellite. What am I forgetting?

Ariane lower berth?

Can they scrape together the money for the US mission from tech demo and budget odds and ends? Seems too involved to be funded out of petty cash, but not up to the standard of dedicated planetary missions.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 01/20/2017 06:36 pm »
It's not going to be funded anymore, so there's no point in talking launch vehicles.

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2343
  • Likes Given: 2057
« Reply #4 on: 01/21/2017 02:15 am »
How will NASA distinguish the DART asteroid impact mission and the DART autonomous rendezvous satellite?

I ask that because both have the same abbreviation.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 01/21/2017 09:35 pm »
How will NASA distinguish the DART asteroid impact mission and the DART autonomous rendezvous satellite?

They operate a space station. You think this is going to be a problem?

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2343
  • Likes Given: 2057
« Reply #6 on: 01/22/2017 06:04 am »

They operate a space station. You think this is going to be a problem?

No. Not at all.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Propylox

• Colorado
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: 07/29/2017 03:17 pm »
It's not going to be funded anymore, so there's no point in talking launch vehicles.
If DART isn't funded in the '18 budget, why did NASA begin its preliminary design phase in June?
Does PDCO and APL have that much leeway with their budget to just start designing stuff or has NASA given the go-ahead and promised to find the funding in their 2018 budget?
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-first-asteroid-deflection-mission-enters-next-design-phase
While current law directs the development of the DART mission, DART is not identified as a specific budget item in the Administration’s Fiscal Year 2018 budget.
« Last Edit: 07/29/2017 03:19 pm by Propylox »

Offline Michael S

• Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #8 on: 08/27/2022 04:39 pm »
I do not know if this is the proper place but...
NASA posted an animation of Didymos from the Lowell Observatory (Sorry, I could not figure out how to load the animation) but what really caught my attention were 3 other objects in the video. I am fascinated, not just that their images were accidently captured, but that one is travelling in the opposite direction.  I am trying to locate more info, any assistance would be appreciated.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/dart-team-confirms-orbit-of-targeted-asteroid

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #9 on: 08/27/2022 04:55 pm »
I do not know if this is the proper place but...
NASA posted an animation of Didymos from the Lowell Observatory (Sorry, I could not figure out how to load the animation) but what really caught my attention were 3 other objects in the video. I am fascinated, not just that their images were accidently captured, but that one is travelling in the opposite direction.  I am trying to locate more info, any assistance would be appreciated.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/dart-team-confirms-orbit-of-targeted-asteroid

If you mean the  bright streaks in the animation, those are probably Earth-orbiting satellites that happened to be captured as they went through the field of view.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Michael S

• Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #10 on: 08/27/2022 05:59 pm »
I am not referring to the streaks. As I stated before, I do not know how to post a gif on this site, yet. if you go to the NASA site I linked, and click on the animation you will see 4 moving dots: Didymos (circled) moving right to left, 2 moving roughly from the top towards the bottom, and 1 moving left to right.

edit: maybe this...

http://www2.lowell.edu/users/nmosko/20220707_LDT.gif
« Last Edit: 08/27/2022 06:12 pm by Michael S »

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #11 on: 08/28/2022 07:06 pm »
I am not referring to the streaks. As I stated before, I do not know how to post a gif on this site, yet. if you go to the NASA site I linked, and click on the animation you will see 4 moving dots: Didymos (circled) moving right to left, 2 moving roughly from the top towards the bottom, and 1 moving left to right.

edit: maybe this...

http://www2.lowell.edu/users/nmosko/20220707_LDT.gif

I've watched the gif over a dozen times now. I do not see anything moving left to right or from the top towards the bottom. The only thing I see moving like Didymos is Didymos, moving right to left.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk

Offline mawrrhyd

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: 08/28/2022 08:42 pm »
I've watched the gif over a dozen times now. I do not see anything moving left to right or from the top towards the bottom. The only thing I see moving like Didymos is Didymos, moving right to left.

Here are the ones I could see.  It had to load the gif into Gimp and jump between frames to find them.  I added lines to show the general direction of movement.

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #13 on: 08/29/2022 09:24 pm »

Here are the ones I could see.  It had to load the gif into Gimp and jump between frames to find them.  I added lines to show the general direction of movement.

Thank you, that was very helpful. You have a sharp eye -- those are fainter objects, and moving much more slowly than Didymos, which is why I didn't notice them before. I would presume they are distant asteroids.

The person to ask what they are would be Nicholas Moskovitz, the astronomer at the Lowell observatory who took the images that made up the gif. My experiences with professional researchers is that they are generally delighted when you take an interest in their work and are happy to answer your questions.

His email address is [email protected]

Offline soltasto

• Italy, Earth
  • Liked: 1118
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #14 on: 09/12/2022 10:44 am »
LICIACube has been released successfully

https://twitter.com/ASI_spazio/status/1569214382122438656

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman