Author Topic: Horizon Black Arrow 2  (Read 37642 times)

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7331
  • Likes Given: 3744
Re: Horizon Black Arrow 2
« Reply #40 on: 07/23/2017 07:46 pm »
"Horizon has won a technology development grant from the UK Space Agency which has helped to kick off its initial development work."

This was in 2016 I think, mentioned further up in this thread?

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=38987.msg1656997#msg1656997

Or is it something new? If new it is good news.

"Tierney, a British born rocket designer, led the NASA team to replace the aging space shuttle programme in the wake of the Columbia shuttle disaster in 2003"

Is this accurate? My understanding was DIRECT was an ad hoc group working voluntarily outside NASA? Or have I got that wrong? It's what was mentioned here:-

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2009/05/direct-rebuttal-nasa-analysis-jupiter-launch-vehicle/

"The team claims to be comprised of eight public representatives and 62 NASA and contractor engineers – who work on the project on their own time."

Ringsider, your understanding is correct.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 612
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #41 on: 08/18/2017 07:16 pm »
Nice website update Ross.
What is the reason for the move to a 500kN engine on the first stage?
Did the intended payload capability increase?
With 360kN I thought there were two options: a single engine [for example ACE-36] or 9x 40kN the same engine as the upperstage 45kN engine. (A sea level and vacuum variant).
Now it is comfirmed that Black Arrow 2 will have two: single engine, common bulkhead LOX LNG stages.
Good luck with the upcoming upper-stage engine tests at westcott.

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 506
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #42 on: 09/16/2017 07:20 am »
Looks like this is dead now. From what I can see on UK Companies House they have effectively closed down Horizon Space Technologies Limited as of a few days ago, Ross and most of the directors have resigned it seems:-

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09331949/filing-history

I am guessing that means they did not get any funding from the UK space launch initiative.
« Last Edit: 09/16/2017 07:22 am by ringsider »

Online Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32344
  • Likes Given: 8024
« Reply #43 on: 09/17/2017 05:37 am »
That does not sound like very good news.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2238
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #44 on: 09/17/2017 05:44 am »
Looks like this is dead now. From what I can see on UK Companies House they have effectively closed down Horizon Space Technologies Limited as of a few days ago, Ross and most of the directors have resigned it seems:-

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09331949/filing-history

I am guessing that means they did not get any funding from the UK space launch initiative.
:'(
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Online Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32344
  • Likes Given: 8024
« Reply #45 on: 09/17/2017 05:57 am »

The UK Space Agency says "Final announcements about any awards of grant funding are expected later in this financial year." which ends on 5 April 2018. That was on 18 August, only one month ago. It seems unlikely that the awards have been made. The article also says "We will be holding a second LaunchUK event later this year to bring together this community, and discuss our plans going forward in more detail." which I don't think has occurred yet.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bids-for-government-funding-prove-strong-interest-in-launchuk
« Last Edit: 09/17/2017 06:00 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 506
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #46 on: 09/18/2017 07:00 am »

The UK Space Agency says "Final announcements about any awards of grant funding are expected later in this financial year." which ends on 5 April 2018. That was on 18 August, only one month ago. It seems unlikely that the awards have been made. The article also says "We will be holding a second LaunchUK event later this year to bring together this community, and discuss our plans going forward in more detail." which I don't think has occurred yet.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bids-for-government-funding-prove-strong-interest-in-launchuk

- 26 proposals were submitted in response to the call
- Multiple proposals have been recommended for further consideration

Why would they close the company down like that if they had made it through to the final list?

Makes me wonder who did make it through.
« Last Edit: 09/18/2017 07:12 am by ringsider »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 612
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #47 on: 09/29/2017 06:22 pm »
This is me speculating:
I don't think HorizonSAS went bankrupt or stoped operating.
I think a takeover has taken place. Possibly the Black Arrow 2 will be proposed by another company.

Hopefully Ross is able and willing to clarify the situation about HorizonSAS.
Thanks in advance Ross.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography