Author Topic: Full Video of Elon Musk Q&A Session Post Dragon V2 Reveal  (Read 52485 times)

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 1655
  • Likes Given: 1116
Re: Full Video of Elon Musk Q&A Session Post Dragon V2 Reveal
« Reply #40 on: 06/02/2014 01:09 AM »
Manned testflights with either a combination of SpaceX en NASA astronauts or all NASA astronauts, the rule is a least one NASA astronaut.

Interesting so who imposed this "rule", NASA or SpaceX?

Online Chris Bergin

I think we've got most of the key points, but keep them coming if your ears prick up at anything else - as article one from all of this will be tomorrow all being well.

Was going to use the PICA-X v3 notes in the EFT-1 Orion Heat Shield article I've just put on, but I think it's best to keep separation, otherwise we're going to end up mentioning SpaceX in every bloody article! ;D

(Have to be honest, while I was writing the Orion story, I was kinda thinking...."sooner I get this on, sooner I can start building the first SpaceX article from the Q&A video". Hope that doesn't make me a bad person ;))

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 2966
  • Likes Given: 4191
« Reply #42 on: 06/02/2014 01:18 AM »
Manned testflights with either a combination of SpaceX en NASA astronauts or all NASA astronauts, the rule is a least one NASA astronaut.

Interesting so who imposed this "rule", NASA or SpaceX?
I suspect that if it is a certification flight, a NASA astro onboard would be NASA's requirement... and a sensible one at that.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline AncientU

« Reply #43 on: 06/02/2014 01:23 AM »
I think we've got most of the key points, but keep them coming if your ears prick up at anything else - as article one from all of this will be tomorrow all being well.

Was going to use the PICA-X v3 notes in the EFT-1 Orion Heat Shield article I've just put on, but I think it's best to keep separation, otherwise we're going to end up mentioning SpaceX in every bloody article! ;D

(Have to be honest, while I was writing the Orion story, I was kinda thinking...."sooner I get this on, sooner I can start building the first SpaceX article from the Q&A video". Hope that doesn't make me a bad person ;))

Not bad... just apolitic.  It's impossible to avoid comparisons between the technologies.

Online QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 2993
  • Likes Given: 721
« Reply #44 on: 06/02/2014 01:35 AM »
Helodriver you are fantastic.

Here is my full transcript. If anyone sees any errors, feel free to fix them, or let me know.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Online Chris Bergin

Helodriver you are fantastic.

Here is my full transcript. If anyone sees any errors, feel free to fix them, or let me know.

I know how much of a balls ache it is to transcribe, so that's a lot of work there!

It's going to be a big help for me (I'll still refer to video, which will double check quoting), but I'll find a way to link both the video and your page into subsequent articles.

Ton of team effort going on here lately!

Offline AncientU

« Reply #46 on: 06/02/2014 02:25 AM »
Thanks for the transcript QuantumG and for the video HeloDriver!  This is fantastic material.
33:30
One bit of political softshoe... following big, big smile...

No, we're not replacing NASA. NASA is our core customer. I think there's always a role for NASA. There's always going to be things where there's no obvious way to commercialize something - think of something like Hubble space telescope or the James Webb, or some of the exploratory probes that go to Mars and elsewhere, it's always going to be important for NASA to be doing those things because there's no obvious economic model for those things.

Not mentioned:
BFRs
'Exploration' capsules
Launch abort systems
Heat shield technology
Beyond Earth Orbit 'hard stuff'
High tech engine development
Avionics using state-of-the-art software/hardware
Reusablity technologies
State-of-the-art manufacturing technologies
Affordable spaceflight
« Last Edit: 06/02/2014 02:26 AM by AncientU »

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6927
  • Likes Given: 4889
« Reply #47 on: 06/02/2014 02:28 AM »
SpaceX isn't developing state of the art manufacturing techniques (like 3d printing), just utilizing them. NASA, however, /is/ developing new manufacturing techniques, including developing a way to 3d print carbon nanotube based composites. :)
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #48 on: 06/02/2014 02:28 AM »
Yeah, I for one am glad that all major sporting events are government funded. I think there's always a role for national sports institutes. There's always going to be things where there's no obvious way to commercialize something - think of something like the Olympics or the FIFA World Cup, or some of the larger local sports teams, it's always going to be important for government to be doing those things because there's no obvious economic model for those things.

/sarcasm
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6927
  • Likes Given: 4889
« Reply #49 on: 06/02/2014 02:30 AM »
Sports stadiums are most certainly dependent on all sorts of government support/hand-outs.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #50 on: 06/02/2014 02:32 AM »
Sports stadiums are most certainly dependent on all sorts of government support/hand-outs.

Maybe this brand of irony is too subtle for your ears.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2101
  • Likes Given: 2478
« Reply #51 on: 06/02/2014 02:34 AM »
4:28 He says that long-term there should be '1000s of flights a year, a base on the Moon and a base on Mars'.  I thought he had no use for the Moon...

He said he never had much use for the Moon.  He never said he didn't know how to use it.

Offline joshcryer

• Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #52 on: 06/02/2014 02:49 AM »
Man, once the local journalists backed off after getting their soundbytes and the guy filming could pick Elon's brain the interview changed dramatically. Even Elon's mild stutter / word search pauses stopped and he was going on about the tech. I love that. Thanks so much to the interviewer and for you guys making this public.

I am surprised about the rental car analogy as opposed to taxi, for some reason I was thinking there would always be at least one SpaceX pilot / crew member on board. But since we're entering the age of self-driving cars and they want this thing to be automated, self-driving space ships make sense. :)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 489
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #53 on: 06/02/2014 02:54 AM »
He said he never had much use for the Moon.  He never said he didn't know how to use it.

Musk could make a lot of money off space tourism by trying the Moon first, rather than waiting for MCT to get people to Mars. Even if he himself doesn't have much use for the Moon, all these others like Golden Spike would pay him a lot of money to bring people there. Money is fungible, and trips to the Moon would sell like hotcakes if Musk could bring down the cost threshold far enough. LEO is so last-century, and trips to Mars are likely to be too strenuous for the near future. But the Moon is the right distance for a vacation, or a sightseeing tour, or a short trip. It could be the next exotic "Down Under".
« Last Edit: 06/02/2014 02:56 AM by sanman »

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4058
  • Likes Given: 831
« Reply #54 on: 06/02/2014 03:26 AM »

Musk could make a lot of money off space tourism by trying the Moon first, rather than waiting for MCT to get people to Mars. Even if he himself doesn't have much use for the Moon, all these others like Golden Spike would pay him a lot of money to bring people there. Money is fungible, and trips to the Moon would sell like hotcakes if Musk could bring down the cost threshold far enough. LEO is so last-century, and trips to Mars are likely to be too strenuous for the near future. But the Moon is the right distance for a vacation, or a sightseeing tour, or a short trip. It could be the next exotic "Down Under".

That's exactly right.

And I'm saying this as someone who really doesn't think the moon has any long term future as a colonization target.

A tourist trip-around-the-moon is absolutely THE ticket.  It's a destination, as opposed to (3 orbits in LEO), you get to see the scenery change from LEO to GTO to blot-the-Earth-with-your-thumb, then a totally alien world that you can zoom by, and then the trip back home.  For sure. 

If you plot Return vs. Investment, this is the best deal.

EDIT:   ...  and I just realized we're in a "reveal" thread.  This sub-conversation should go to a tourism discussion thread.  Which I'm looking for.

EDIT2:  There is no such thread, so will start one - if you've got a horse in this race, reply there.
« Last Edit: 06/02/2014 03:29 AM by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 664
  • Likes Given: 195
Full Video of Elon Musk Q&A Session Post Dragon V2 Reveal
« Reply #55 on: 06/02/2014 04:41 AM »

Seductive, the dark side of the force is. ;) Embrace it! :)
« Last Edit: 06/02/2014 04:42 AM by Lars_J »

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 370
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #56 on: 06/02/2014 04:58 AM »
I thought I'd just skim the video, but ended up watching every minute of it. Thank you for that, Helodriver!  One thing I noticed off my one viewing is that Elon was claiming a lot of payload capability in addition to the seven people.  I think he said "a ton" of pressurized cargo and "one or two tons" in the trunk.  Of course, he's speaking off the top of his head while several people are asking questions at once, but it will be interesting to see just what the capability of this Dragon/Falcon is.

Offline Geron

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #57 on: 06/02/2014 05:29 AM »
Just watched the video. Great work helodriver. You are awesome. Bummer that girl kept interrupting and asking questions like, "what's the difference between dragon v1 and v2". Pretty annoying lol.

Online llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 1487
« Reply #58 on: 06/02/2014 07:37 AM »
When you asked the question about manufacturing in Texas, I really perked up my ears.  Unfortunately, Elon got distracted by something else and didn't respond.  But it was one of the questions I most wanted to hear.  Thanks for asking it, at least, helodriver!
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline CuddlyRocket

Thank to Helodriver for the video and the wit to ask sensible questions; and to QuantumG for the transcript, which will probably be more referenced!

I expect we'll see bits of this Q&A referenced in a lot of individual threads on this forum!

Tags: