Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - CASSIOPE - September, 2013 - GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 507259 times)

Offline ArbitraryConstant

• Liked: 628
  • Likes Given: 311
Starting this thread because it is likely the next launch and I don't see an existing thread for it. Mods please do the needful if I am in error.

This is a momentous flight for a bunch of reasons:

-First flight of the v1.1.
-First flight of the Merlin 1D and Merlin 1D Vac engines, excepting Grasshopper hops.
-First flight from Vandenberg.
-First flight of the Falcon 9 fairing.

The schedule is nominally June, but standard space and SpaceX schedule skepticism applies.

Other threads for CASSIOPE:
SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - CASSIOPE - GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD (2)
SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - CASSIOPE - NET Sept. 29 - PRE-LAUNCH UPDATES
SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - CASSIOPE - Sept. 29 - LAUNCH UPDATES
SpaceX CASSIOPE Launch Viewing Thread
California Secrets - SpaceX F9 v1.1 Cassiope Launch Party Thread
« Last Edit: 08/08/2017 10:53 pm by gongora »

Offline Chris Bergin

Required thread, good intro post and the correct title format.

Much appreciated! :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Per http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=8184.msg1025272#msg1025272

Shouldn't the date in the topic be June 18th?
Possibly. My understanding is that slippage is widely anticipated at this point. What's the convention? Put the date and update if/when it slips?

Offline fast

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 28
I thought they will keep Merlin 1D Vac for FH?

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14045
  • Likes Given: 1392
-First flight of the Merlin 1D and Merlin 1D Vac engines, excepting Grasshopper hops.

Gulp.

More pressure, I think, then the first F9 launch...

If all goes well, then we also have (rumored) post separation first stage action - some experimentation with pitch-over, re-start, some manner of re-entry attempt
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 113

Possibly. My understanding is that slippage is widely anticipated at this point. What's the convention? Put the date and update if/when it slips?

This source points to June 18th, so I would go for putting the date in the topic.
http://epop.phys.ucalgary.ca/schedule.html

If you have a reliable, publically available source pointing to a slippage, then maybe put NET before the date?
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25239
  • Likes Given: 12115

Gulp.

If all goes well, then we also have (rumored) post separation first stage action - some experimentation with pitch-over, re-start, some manner of re-entry attempt
I disagree. SpaceX has now shown they know what they're doing. For the first F9 launch, they were still being dismissed as sort of overgrown hobbyists. The first 3 Falcon 1 launches (all failures) were still fresh in their minds.

And don't forget, they had recovery plans for v1.0 as well.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Occupymars

• Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 58
I thought they will keep Merlin 1D Vac for FH?
Welcome to the Forum Fast. Doe's this answer your question falcon 9 v1.0 = 9 merlin 1C engines and a merlin 1C vac engine. New falcon 9 v1.1= 9 Merlin 1D engine's and a Merlin 1D vac engine. Falcon heavy= 27 merlin 1D engine's and a merlin 1D Vac.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14045
  • Likes Given: 1392

Gulp.

I disagree. SpaceX has now shown they know what they're doing. For the first F9 launch, they were still being dismissed as sort of overgrown hobbyists. The first 3 Falcon 1 launches (all failures) were still fresh in their minds.

... and hence the pressure.

With first flight of F9 they were underdogs, and hell even a partial success would have been a good thing.

Now they are the well-recognized challenger.  A lost more to lose, and so a lot more pressure.

And a lot more confidence, sure.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Occupymars

Gulp.

yeah but no matter how you look at it it's still a new launch vehicle and most of us know that gruesome statistic that 75% have had at least one failure in the first three flights.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25239
  • Likes Given: 12115
But it's not a completely new vehicle. This is a company that now has a track-record and many of their systems are no doubt the same or similar (avionics, etc). It's significantly different, sure, but they've validated their processes for designing and testing new vehicles of this class. For example, their practice of acceptance-testing all the stages before flight has served them pretty well.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385

I haven't heard anything like that, just everyone assumes it will slip simply because of SpaceX's track record. It's been June 18th for a while now.
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline Occupymars

Lets keep our finger's crossed for this flight. But since this launch vehicle has 9 engine's on it's first stage let's not be surprised if it has an engine out on one of it's early launches as seen with falcon 9 version one. I expect at least one engine failure out of it's first 10 launches. Probably two if falcon 9 version one was anything to go by.
« Last Edit: 03/23/2013 07:52 pm by Occupymars »

I haven't heard anything like that, just everyone assumes it will slip simply because of SpaceX's track record. It's been June 18th for a while now.
Ok. Thread consensus seems to be put that up unless/until it slips.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
lets keep our finger's crossed for this flight. but since this launch vehicle has 9 engine's on its first stage let's not be surprised if it has an engine out on it's early launch's as seen with falcon 9 version one I expect at least one engine failure out of it's first 10 launches. probably two if falcon 9 version one was anything to go by.

I think you are maybe being a tad extreme in your concern. They have proven they learn from earlier mistakes. They have a robust test program. After all, their F9 flights have had a far better success record than the F1, despite the F9 being a significantly more complex launch vehicle. And the step from F9 to the v1.1 is far less.

Offline Halidon

• whereabouts unknown
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 533
Ok. Thread consensus seems to be put that up unless/until it slips.
Just use "NET June 18th." Covers the date and the possibility of slippage, without everyone getting in a twist.

Online oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 1188
  • Likes Given: 2685
and a soft water touch down. Hope we get to see that.

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891

Now there is an optimist.  ;D

You are aware, if that happens the largest remaining obstacle to first stage reusability would be finding a suitable landing location?

Online oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 1188
  • Likes Given: 2685

Now there is an optimist.  ;D

You are aware, if that happens the largest remaining obstacle to first stage reusability would be finding a suitable landing location?

Landing location is Vandenberg, biggest obstacle will be FAA approval.  ;)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography