Author Topic: HD from ISS  (Read 13748 times)

Offline cozmicray

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
HD from ISS
« on: 06/22/2007 04:01 pm »
ISS now has HD cameras and HD downlink.

Have you seen much HD from ISS?

Once again NASA can't cash in on incredible video from space!

Offline ShuttleDiscovery

• NASA's first teenage astronaut
  • UK
    • Shuttle Discovery's Space Page
  • Liked: 0
RE: HD from ISS
« Reply #1 on: 06/22/2007 04:29 pm »
cozmicray - 22/6/2007  5:01 PM

ISS now has HD cameras and HD downlink.

Have you seen much HD from ISS?

Once again NASA can't cash in on incredible video from space!

No, I have hardly seen any HD from the ISS. All they usually show on NASA TV are the cameras inside the modules so I guess it's pretty rare to se HD footage... :)

Offline spacedreams

Re: HD from ISS
« Reply #2 on: 06/22/2007 07:51 pm »
You will still be limited in how much HD can be downloaded by the satellites you have to download through and also how much other stuff you have to download. Even if the satellite is in view you have to negotiate for time with other customers and the video guys have to negotiate with all the other subsystems for what gets downloaded in those precious minutes.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #3 on: 06/22/2007 09:10 pm »
Any HD likely goes direct to digital storage for later downloads when available (video file data downloads are easier on the bandwidth than direct live video). I wonder also if it might be used for some of the medical or other science research being done, rather than just for PAO purposes.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #4 on: 06/23/2007 03:58 pm »
At some point, it might be more effective for shuttles to bring up very large external hard drives to plug into the ISS storage system, to bring down very large amounts of HD data. I would suspect a kilogram sized hard drive could bring down a terabye of data that would otherwise clog up TDRS.

Offline ShuttleDiscovery

• UK
« Reply #5 on: 06/23/2007 04:39 pm »
I agree, sounds like a good idea.

I just love the HD footage, especially from the IMAX camera if you ever get a chance to watch 'Space Station 3D' at a science museum or something. It's such a high quality...

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #6 on: 06/24/2007 03:41 am »
Danderman - 23/6/2007  10:58 AM

At some point, it might be more effective for shuttles to bring up very large external hard drives to plug into the ISS storage system, to bring down very large amounts of HD data. I would suspect a kilogram sized hard drive could bring down a terabye of data that would otherwise clog up TDRS.
They already tried that - the first computer and laptops at ISS had hard drives, and one after another they all started crashing from external radiation and magnetic anomolies. NASA spent big bucks contracting for solid state drives in the late 90's (and which are only just now becoming affordable for consumer storage use) to replace the winchester disks in the laptops, and very heavily shielded 'regular' hard disks in the control computers.

I haven't read or heard about what the current ISS solid state mass-storage drive capacities are, but I would suppose it's at least equal to the newest current volumes available in the consumer market today.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #7 on: 06/24/2007 03:56 am »
1 TB of 4GB SD cards would weigh around 1/2 kilogram.

BTW, IMAX camera images are way, way, way higher resolution than HD video.  HD video is 1920x1080.  The IMAX film frames are higher than that by (arguably) 3-10x in each direction, depending on film type and sensitivity.

Offline marsguy

• Regular
  • GSFC
« Reply #8 on: 06/24/2007 04:22 am »
Only HD video I've ever seen from the ISS was the thing that the Discovery channel had on their HD channel last fall/winter.

It was AMAZING!!!  Wish they would do more.

Offline ShuttleDiscovery

• UK
« Reply #9 on: 06/24/2007 10:56 am »
Lee Jay - 24/6/2007  4:56 AM

BTW, IMAX camera images are way, way, way higher resolution than HD video.  HD video is 1920x1080.  The IMAX film frames are higher than that by (arguably) 3-10x in each direction, depending on film type and sensitivity.

I thought so! Thanks.

Offline cozmicray

« Reply #10 on: 06/25/2007 05:04 pm »
TDRS Ku-Band Downlink  150-300Mbps     a full HD Blue-ray disk's worth of data in 45 or 22 minutes

without any type of compression

Long Contacts with TDRS rare     NOT   unmanned missions have had 8-10 90 min contacts with TDRS per day
      just have to switch TDRS satellite every so often.

OOps  I'm sorry  they use russian downlink stations     downlink  to ground stations  6 months

So since STS returned  there is a Stack of HD recordings we should see soon?

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #11 on: 06/25/2007 05:23 pm »
Lee Jay - 24/6/2007  5:56 AM

"way way way" is around 5 times the resolution (modern digital image sensors actually have a higher resolution than film albeit at a lower dynamic range and sensitivity). Which, of course, leaves you with 25 times as many pixels. But then image compression algorithms scale well, so I guess you will habe around 3-4 times the data needed for HD.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #12 on: 06/25/2007 05:44 pm »
pippin - 25/6/2007  11:23 AM

Lee Jay - 24/6/2007  5:56 AM

"way way way" is around 5 times the resolution (modern digital image sensors actually have a higher resolution than film albeit at a lower dynamic range and sensitivity). Which, of course, leaves you with 25 times as many pixels. But then image compression algorithms scale well, so I guess you will habe around 3-4 times the data needed for HD.

Digital sensors are way better than film, but the issue with HD video is that the format had to account for the fact that most HD cameras use sensors of 2/3" format or smaller.  2/3" format is 8.8mmx6.6mm (for 4:3 aspect ratio - slightly different for other ratios).  IMAX uses a 70mmx48.5mm film frame.  Despite the fact that digital sensors are superior to film, they can't make up for a factor of 58 difference in area.

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• Regular
  • UK
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #13 on: 08/30/2007 01:00 am »

So where does all this HD video go ? There's a page   of some HD video including one from ISS Expedition 13. I'd like to see more, but I guess it takes time to process and get this video out there.

DJ Barney

I love NSF!

Offline cozmicray

« Reply #14 on: 11/17/2007 01:52 pm »
STS 120 has returned from ISS

Where is all the HD video from the ISS and the mission?

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #15 on: 11/17/2007 02:26 pm »
see HDNET, and NASATV HD on "C" band

Offline cozmicray

« Reply #16 on: 11/17/2007 04:15 pm »
HDNet Search Results

Search HDNet Programming | Printable HDNet Schedules

Day and Time (ET/PT)    Program Information

Sorry, nothing found in the current schedule for: STS, ISS, NASA

Check back later for updated schedules.

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #17 on: 11/17/2007 04:36 pm »
"Any HD likely goes direct to digital storage for later downloads when available (video file data downloads are easier on the bandwidth than direct live video). I wonder also if it might be used for some of the medical or other science research being done, rather than just for PAO purposes. "

Yes, it is stored and downlinked later.  HD is just a test right now.  The new crew, trained in it, are using it a lot more, so you will see much more.

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #18 on: 11/17/2007 04:39 pm »
"They already tried that - the first computer and laptops at ISS had hard drives, and one after another they all started crashing from external radiation and magnetic anomolies. NASA spent big bucks contracting for solid state drives in the late 90's (and which are only just now becoming affordable for consumer storage use) to replace the winchester disks in the laptops, and very heavily shielded 'regular' hard disks in the control computers. "

Huh? Sorry but this is way wrong.  The ISS has always used, and is using, laptops with standard hard drives.  Radiation has not been an issue (dust and other things have been minimally).  For the computers controlling the ISS, the Command and Control initially had regular hard drives.  They were damaged by non gentle power cycling - the heads were smashing against the disks.  Radiation and magnetic anomalies had absolutely nothing.  Not they use solid state memory (always planned but accelerated).

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #19 on: 11/17/2007 04:42 pm »

cozmicray - 17/11/2007 3:52 PM STS 120 has returned from ISS Where is all the HD video from the ISS and the mission?

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/hd_index.html

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography