Author Topic: Rules and format for linking Tweets?  (Read 11194 times)

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
Rules and format for linking Tweets?
« on: 01/23/2015 06:05 pm »
Is there a preferred format for referencing tweets? Quote? Link? Embed? Screencap?

Are there specific rules for quoting or referencing tweets? I'm assuming copy/pasting a whole Tweet is okay, but I guess I could be wrong about that. I don't think it matters with 98% of tweets, but sometimes a reporter will post something they had to go dig up, so I feel a little weird dumping the whole thing in the forum.

Thanks.

Online Chris Bergin

Re: Rules and format for linking Tweets?
« Reply #1 on: 01/23/2015 06:53 pm »
Hmmm, I think the KEY is accreditation with Twitter. Such as:

Chris B - NSF @NASASpaceflight  ·  Jan 22
Must Watch! Edited clip of an EPIC answer from then STS-114 FD Paul Hill Explanation: http://tinyurl.com/qgxmaza 

The forum will automatically link and even post a youtube link into a video format, but everyone knows who posted it.

And/Or specific linking

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/558330849801035776

Both would be idea.

Or even attaching works, if it's lots of photos.
« Last Edit: 01/23/2015 06:53 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online mtakala24

« Reply #2 on: 01/23/2015 06:59 pm »
I must note that only linking to a twitter post would be acceptable, but in case the tweet or even the whole twitter account is removed, it retains little value. For reference, I'd love to see the tweet content also.

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #3 on: 01/23/2015 07:24 pm »
Okay, good points all. Thanks.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #4 on: 01/23/2015 08:09 pm »
Hmmm, I think the KEY is accreditation with Twitter. Such as:

Chris B - NSF @NASASpaceflight  ·  Jan 22
Must Watch! Edited clip of an EPIC answer from then STS-114 FD Paul Hill Explanation: http://tinyurl.com/qgxmaza 

The forum will automatically link and even post a youtube link into a video format, but everyone knows who posted it.

And/Or specific linking

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/558330849801035776

Both would be idea.

Or even attaching works, if it's lots of photos.
I remember that presser...Those were tough-tense times and the “steady hand” of our friend Wayne Hale, god bless him... :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Online rocketguy101

• Strib's Rocket Page
  • Liked: 244
  • Likes Given: 888
« Reply #5 on: 11/20/2018 06:57 pm »
I must note that only linking to a twitter post would be acceptable, but in case the tweet or even the whole twitter account is removed, it retains little value. For reference, I'd love to see the tweet content also.
I know I am posting in an old thread...(I even got a big red warning box LOL)  but I was trying to find a place to vent...

When viewing this site from a machine that has Twitter blocked, there is little value in seeing posts with a url listed and maybe a little comment.  Especially in update threads, it is a little maddening to see a series of posts with nothing but urls!  Can we please get an attachment that will be permenant like mtakala24 suggests?  I paid a subscription to this site in order to see content.

If I wanted to follow on twitter, I would do so, but I will not jump into that cesspool.  It seems more and more people just post a link and I find that sad, and a little lazy.
« Last Edit: 11/20/2018 06:58 pm by rocketguy101 »
David

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #6 on: 11/22/2018 02:40 pm »
I know I am posting in an old thread...(I even got a big red warning box LOL)  but I was trying to find a place to vent...

When viewing this site from a machine that has Twitter blocked, there is little value in seeing posts with a url listed and maybe a little comment.  Especially in update threads, it is a little maddening to see a series of posts with nothing but urls!  Can we please get an attachment that will be permenant like mtakala24 suggests?  I paid a subscription to this site in order to see content.

If I wanted to follow on twitter, I would do so, but I will not jump into that cesspool.  It seems more and more people just post a link and I find that sad, and a little lazy.

What I'd say not liking Twitter is a case of not joining Twitter. Blocking Twitter is something I've not heard about before and it wouldn't hold relevance here as the content of tweets on here would be the same as if linked - as previous - with the only change being the post now shows the tweet as tweeted, rather than having to click the link and go through into Twitter.

Also, it avoids the massive problem of old where a tweet would be copied and pasted into a post, and the images attached.

1) 99 out of 100 times, it's not our content and it is a breach of copyright to reupload external content that way.
2) Our server attachment folder is unbelievable massive (we're moving it to a new host soon and it's going to take days to create a copy and add that copy to the next host). This removes some of the strain.
3) Loss of context: With so much content being on Twitter such as official tweets, etc. Copying and pasting it can lead to mistakes, loss of context and even - as in some cases - inaccurate reproduction. The link avoids it being NSF hosted and points to the external, original source.

Looking at the past 2000 posts made on NSF's forum, less than 1 percent of posts are just a Twitter link.

Looking at the most recent launch thread, less than 1 percent of posts are just a Twitter link.

Most of the posts with Twitter links include additional info.

There are no twitter links in L2 by the nature of L2 avoiding public content.

It was something many people asked for and it was created in the best format available. Live update threads will continue to be screenshot and photo attachments, supplemented with the occasional tweet when required.

So it's not only something that the majority have a preference for, but it's actually required per the content that is hosted on here (such as when other photographers tweet photos and used to see their copyrighted photos added as attachments.

What we'll aim to do is add a more than just a Twitter link in a post and some intro text, or a URL if it includes such a thing in the tweet, as a middle ground.
« Last Edit: 11/22/2018 02:53 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online rocketguy101

• Strib's Rocket Page
« Reply #7 on: 11/22/2018 02:56 pm »

What I'd say not liking Twitter is a case of not joining Twitter. Blocking Twitter is something I've not heard about before and it wouldn't hold relevance here as the content of tweets on here would be the same as if linked - as previous - with the only change being the post now shows the tweet as tweeted, rather than having to click the link and go through into Twitter.

[snip]
When I view NSF from my work computer, Twitter, Youtube, and many other site domains are blocked.  After the holidays, I could post a screen shot of what I am talking about.  The posts with Twitter feeds are blank with a url and if the poster makes a comment, that appears (for example "Looks sooty").  So it is frustrating to see post after post with no meaningful information.  Yes, when I get home and look at the same post, all the pretty Twitter pictures show up and things become clearer.  Some could say "don't look at NSF at work" ... but I gotta get my space fix!!!  I am sure others that have domains blocked are seeing the same thing...I just notice lately this is a growing trend, not just on NSF on many other news sites...IMHO it is lazy to just repost from Twitter.
David

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #8 on: 11/22/2018 03:25 pm »
IMHO it is lazy to just repost from Twitter.

A lot of information these days is disseminated through Twitter that is not easy to find elsewhere.  Quoting the text from the tweet underneath the link might be a good middle ground for now.  (The articles that really annoy me are when they embed a tweet in an article and then spend three paragraphs restating it without adding any information that wasn't in the tweet.)

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7400
  • Likes Given: 72464
« Reply #9 on: 11/26/2018 03:06 pm »
Another Twitter content issue:
The relevant text in the embedded tweet disappears if the tweet is subsequently deleted.

With no copy/paste of the tweet text into a posting, one can be left with posting void of content.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #10 on: 11/26/2018 03:46 pm »
Another Twitter content issue:
The relevant text in the embedded tweet disappears if the tweet is subsequently deleted.

With no copy/paste of the tweet text into a posting, one can be left with posting void of content.

1) Actually, we tested that. It seems to record it in the way it is embedded so it isn't a worry for empty posts.

2) That worried us more than the natural impression it would vanish if the tweet was deleted as someone deleting their tweet would be for a good reason and a copy and paste of it must be highly annoying (at the minimum) for the person who deleted it.

Test on another account I have as a hobby.

https://twitter.com/YCFCStadium/status/1067097165410037763

Yep, it keeps a record, albeit a text record, after a tweet posted here is deleted on Twitter. See above. Pretty good as it avoids the issue of copyright on photos as it only keeps the text and the link to what is (once deleted) a dead tweet. Imagine if someone tweeted a photo that was copyrighted or whatever...and someone here had attached it. That person would have to contact the site and request removal (or even try and sue us as someone here took their photo and attached it to our servers).

So another thumbs up for this change.
« Last Edit: 11/26/2018 03:50 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online rocketguy101

• Strib's Rocket Page
« Reply #11 on: 11/27/2018 09:41 pm »
OK I made a screenshot from my work computer showing what an update thread looks like when the Twitter domain is blocked...pretty bleak, yeah?  In times past folks would post the twitter link and post a screen shot so we could see what was being discussed.
David

Offline eeergo

« Reply #12 on: 11/28/2018 08:29 am »

OK I made a screenshot from my work computer showing what an update thread looks like when the Twitter domain is blocked...pretty bleak, yeah?  In times past folks would post the twitter link and post a screen shot so we could see what was being discussed.

:-\

Quote from: Chris Bergin
Pretty good as it avoids the issue of copyright on photos as it only keeps the text and the link to what is (once deleted) a dead tweet. Imagine if someone tweeted a photo that was copyrighted or whatever...and someone here had attached it. That person would have to contact the site and request removal (or even try and sue us as someone here took their photo and attached it to our servers).

Also, the tweet's text remains no matter what, so the post isn't blank.
-DaviD-

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #13 on: 11/28/2018 10:01 pm »
In times past folks would post the twitter link and post a screen shot so we could see what was being discussed.

To repeat:

Also, it avoids the massive problem of old where a tweet would be copied and pasted into a post, and the images attached.

1) 99 out of 100 times, it's not our content and it is a breach of copyright to reupload external content that way.

Though it's good it's not actually a blank post as intimated for what will be a handful of people (as searches show only Facebook is the one IT depts. tend to block, not Twitter.....it's almost unheard of), it shows the text and a link. It does not show the images as we are not the host of the images, twitter is. So the issue is with your work's IT blocking the origin of content (Twitter).
« Last Edit: 11/28/2018 10:03 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online rocketguy101

• Strib's Rocket Page
« Reply #14 on: 11/28/2018 10:32 pm »
Though it's good it's not actually a blank post as intimated for what will be a handful of people (as searches show only Facebook is the one IT depts. tend to block, not Twitter.....it's almost unheard of), it shows the text and a link. It does not show the images as we are not the host of the images, twitter is. So the issue is with your work's IT blocking the origin of content (Twitter).

Well for the record, our IT dept blocks YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, etc.  I have had an occasional rocketry website flagged as being blocked (evidently "rocket" has some naughty connotations on the webs ?).  I am frankly surprised I can access NSF at work. 

If it's a case of copyright, I understand, but I liked the good old days when people posted their own content on this site, especially on an update thread.  I am used to seeing blank boxes when users post YT videos, but a whole string of Twitter post with perhaps a text comment and url gets old.  Guess I will just have to wait until I get home to see what all excitement on many threads is all about  *sigh*
David

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #15 on: 11/28/2018 10:46 pm »

Well for the record, our IT dept blocks YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, etc.  I have had an occasional rocketry website flagged as being blocked (evidently "rocket" has some naughty connotations on the webs ?).  I am frankly surprised I can access NSF at work. 

If it's a case of copyright, I understand, but I liked the good old days when people posted their own content on this site, especially on an update thread.  I am used to seeing blank boxes when users post YT videos, but a whole string of Twitter post with perhaps a text comment and url gets old.  Guess I will just have to wait until I get home to see what all excitement on many threads is all about  *sigh*

Yeah, they clearly don't want people using the internet for non-work related purposes at your place.

People do post their own content to the forum. All three examples you showed are external content, owned by the person tweeting it.

PS Don't use the work computer for NSF at work. Use your phone? Just thinking out loud.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography