Author Topic: LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - CASSIOPE - Sept. 29 - LAUNCH UPDATES  (Read 312358 times)

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81617
  • Likes Given: 36928
Yes, great news. Here's the press release http://www.losangeles.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123401533

SpaceX Launch Counts Towards EELV Certification

2/25/2014 - LOS ANGELES AIR FORCE BASE, Calif.  -- The Air Force Space Command's Space and Missile Systems Center has determined that the Space Exploration Technologies Corporation's (SpaceX) Sept. 29, 2013 launch of its Falcon 9 v1.1 launch vehicle will count toward SpaceX's Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle (EELV) certification.

Under a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA), signed by SpaceX and SMC in June 2013, SpaceX must meet rigorous certification requirements and perform at least three successful flights of a common launch vehicle configuration for the company to be considered for launching critical and high cost NSS payloads.

Certification requirements for the Falcon 9 v1.1 include at least three successful flights of a common launch vehicle configuration, as well as passing a number of technical reviews, audits and independent verification, and validation of the launch vehicle's ground systems and manufacturing processes. Where possible, the Air Force will work jointly with SpaceX to accelerate completing the requirements from these phases to expedite certification.

"This flight represents one of many certification requirements jointly agreed to between the Air Force and SpaceX," said Lt. Gen. Ellen Pawlikowski, SMC commander.

SMC is still assessing the SpaceX' Falcon 9 v1.1 launches on Dec. 3, 2013 and Jan. 6, 2014 for their applicability towards the certification requirements. Additionally, the Air Force will remain engaged with SpaceX for resolution of any issues experienced during these flights and any planned system improvements.

SMC, located at Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif., is the U.S. Air Force's center of acquisition excellence for acquiring and developing military space systems. Its portfolio includes the Global Positioning System, military satellite communications, defense meteorological satellites, space launch and range systems, satellite control networks, space based infrared systems and space situational awareness capabilities.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
Why is this news?  Does the USAF even have a SpaceX mission on contract?  Neither SpaceX nor NASA have put out anything about any NASA certification.  LAAFB PAO seems to have too much time on its hands.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
Why is this news?  Does the USAF even have a SpaceX mission on contract?  Neither SpaceX nor NASA have put out anything about any NASA certification.  LAAFB PAO seems to have too much time on its hands.

You know (or should know) why it matters. EELV certification. The ability to compete for the launches that were excluded from the latest block buy from ULA.
« Last Edit: 02/28/2014 06:20 am by Lars_J »

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
Right.  I just think it's weird that LAAFB is putting out press releases for minor milestones.  (And SpaceX has 2 USAF, non-EELV missions on contract.)  I guess they're just trying to show Congress some progress.  Rather base motives IMO.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
Right.  I just think it's weird that LAAFB is putting out press releases for minor milestones.  (And SpaceX has 2 USAF, non-EELV missions on contract.)  I guess they're just trying to show Congress some progress.  Rather base motives IMO.

Why assume the worse? It could as simple as the base is excited about the prospect and it's a slow month for the PAO.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline Chris Bergin

Ok cool.....let's probably move this to one of the discussion threads, as we're bumping a launch several launches ago and my obsession with an orderly forum is getting taken down the river here ;)

So link what you're talking about here on a discussion thread and continue there.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography