Author Topic: LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - CASSIOPE - Sept. 29 - LAUNCH UPDATES  (Read 312374 times)

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust 14s

Musk: goal is to attempt 1st stage recovery on all future CRS launches and many others; next two (w/out recovery) more of an anomaly.

Incidentally, I am the one that asked that question on behalf of NSF.

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10995
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 58s

Rocket booster relit twice (supersonic retro & landing), but spun up due to aero torque, so fuel centrifuged & we flamed out
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline e of pi

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 406
Hrm. Don't suppose someone there can ask how far off the water it was when they lost the engine or how big the chunks they picked up are? I mean, I guess we'll see in the video, but I'm impatient. :)

Offline igi

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I wonder how they managed to relight the engine, if the stage was already rotating? Also, I think the stage was quite low when it relight, but didnīt slow down enough.

Still much better result than anyone could realistically anticipate :) This is like unscheduled christmas :D

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 45
As I would understand the quote the roll developed during single-engine burn, not before ignition.

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 36
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 1m

Between this flight & Grasshopper tests, I think we now have all the pieces of the puzzle to bring the rocket back home.

Offline igi

As I would understand the quote the roll developed during single-engine burn, not before ignition.

but Elon said aerodynamic torgue developed. How does it depend on engine running?

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust 44s

Musk: working with Air Force and FAA on identifying landing sites for F9 1st stage, looking at eastern tip of Cape Canaveral. #falcon9

http://goo.gl/maps/OcaS4

Looks like an old pad? What pad was this?

Trident.

Offline Jamsta

• Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 1217
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 1m

Between this flight & Grasshopper tests, I think we now have all the pieces of the puzzle to bring the rocket back home.

That is really good news.

Online Herb Schaltegger

but Elon said aerodynamic torgue developed. How does it depend on engine running?

It doesn't (necessarily), but with THREE engines (as in the first relight) you can gimbal opposing engines to more easily control it.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline pippin

• Regular

Nobody said it depended on that, just that it developed during that burn. So they could light it because it didn't roll then, yet.

Offline igi

Nobody said it depended on that, just that it developed during that burn. So they could light it because it didn't roll then, yet.

ok, that makes sense

Offline Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 403
  • Likes Given: 722
Please keep this thread to updates- there is a discussion thread aswell

Great video, including some tracking. looking forward to seeing the highlight reel!

Offline pippin

• Regular

Musk: attempted relight of upper stage, encountered anomaly. Understand what it is and will fix before next flight. #falcon9

Ah yes, that was on the L2 thread a few hours ago. Glad it's a minor issue.

And another one on semantics. Musk didn't say it's a minor issue, he said they know what it is and they'll fix it before the next flight. The latter being a no-brainer since they need the restart on the next flight. The tricky part will be to be confident enough about the fix to make SES (or their insurer) risk their expensive bird on it.
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 08:32 pm by pippin »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Nah, I think it was spinning fast before. Enough fuel in the lines to relight briefly.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline matthewbot

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 31
My WAG is that the stage simply ran out of RCS during or slightly before the landing burn, then began to slowly roll up and eventually flamed out. Essentially, it used up too much RCS during prior phases, like the flip before the three engine burn, or the controlled descent through the atmosphere before the third burn. Hopefully fixable by simply finding a more fuel efficient trajectory for those steps using the real data they got from this launch, which then leaves enough RCS to last through the entire landing. The fact that they got to the landing burn at all means they hopefully don't need a huge increase in efficiency.

Offline cambrianera

• Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 261

Musk: attempted relight of upper stage, encountered anomaly. Understand what it is and will fix before next flight. #falcon9

Ah yes, that was on the L2 thread a few hours ago. Glad it's a minor issue.

And another one on semantics? Musk didn't say it's a minor issue, he said they know what it is and they'll fix it before the next flight. The latter being a no-brainer since they need the restart on the next flight. The tricky part will be to be confident enough about the fix to make SES (or their insurer) risk their expensive bird on it.

That's the tricky part (bold mine).
SpaceX had this flight to convince them, now they must rely on something other.
Oh to be young again. . .

Offline Chris Bergin

Pretty much impossible to keep this to updates only, but I'd ask members to use a bit of common sense and utilize the several threads we have for this launch.

It looks like most are responding to actual updates in this thread, and we are post launch, so no biggy.

I'll probably look to set up a post-launch thread separate from this one in the week, potentially after a review article.

Oh and we got retweeted by Elon's mum! :)
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 08:36 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 400
FWIW, the American Islander is now shown and being Anchored off the coast of baja. I'd wager that this is the site where it recovered "portions" of the Falcon 9. The American Spirit meanwhile has disappeared from the charts. Not sure what that means.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=367035570&centerx=-120.2818&centery=29.29437&zoom=10&type_color=9
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 08:54 pm by intrepidpursuit »

Offline InfraNut2

Additional details from other people following the teleconference:

Tweet from Michael Belfiore @MichaelBelfiore

@elonmusk Recoverable F9 will have to fly 15% less payload for water landing, 30% less for land touchdown

EDIT: also:

Tweet from Douglas Messier @spacecom

Musk: finishing up test stand for Falcon Heavy in McGregor, TX. Should be a bit quieter due to config of test stand.

Tweet from James Dean @flatoday_jdean

SpaceX now targeting Q2 '14 for Dragon pad abort test from Cape. "It's going to go like a bullet."

Tweet from James Dean @flatoday_jdean 1h

Musk: upgraded Dragon flying next NASA mission "looks pretty cool."
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 09:22 pm by InfraNut2 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography