Author Topic: Movie: Gravity - Contains some small/potential spoilers  (Read 245501 times)

Offline LaunchedIn68

• Deer Park, NY
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 448
Re: Movie: Gravity
« Reply #80 on: 09/05/2013 08:09 pm »
Dream sequence anyone? :-) How about this - In some trailers they appear to be servicing Hubble, and in other, at ISS. Think of the dream sequence in Apollo 13 where Marilyn Lovell dreams of Jim being sucked out when the hatch opens. Much of the audience probably thought that was the disaster at that point. I can imagine that Bullock's character, has a dream about the Hubble servicing mission going wrong. Then wakes up on ISS and some time later, the "real" disaster happens. Speculation of course, but would solve the totally different orbit issue.

Don't pay too much attention to trailers.  They are typically created by the PR departments long before the movie has been through the final edit.  Therefore they contain scenes that may very well end up on the cutting room floor.   This especially happens if the film is screened before a test audience who thinks the film drags or totally hates the ending. It goes back to editing.

Speaking of that Apollo 13 dream sequence reminded me of something.  That scene of Lovell (Hanks) getting blown out of the CM in space was added to the trailer at the time, and can be viewed on the DVD extras.  I recall back in '95 a bunch of us were really looking forward to this movie and happened to see the trailer. 

When we saw that scene we were like "B$!"  "That never happened!" "They're re-writing history!"  "This movies gonna suck!"

Of course it turns out to be my fav movie of all time.  But to a viewer who has no knowledge of 13 it makes them say "Wow I gotta see that!"
« Last Edit: 09/05/2013 08:11 pm by LaunchedIn68 »
"I want to build a spaceship, go to the moon, salvage all the junk that's up there, bring it back, sell it." - Harry Broderick

Offline LaunchedIn68

• Deer Park, NY
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 448
« Reply #81 on: 09/05/2013 08:17 pm »
it appears to me that they may get rescued by the Chinese . The last sense of the trailer where the ISS breaks up she is grabbing for what appears to me to be a  Shenzhou Orbital Module. Have to wait for the movie.

I kind of wish the guys from MST3K would come out of retirement for this one!

I can just hear Crow T. Robot say as the ISS breaks up:
"Gee Mike does this mean we can finally get out of Low Earth Orbit now?"

Tom Servo: "The Shenzhou Orbital Module by MARX!" "Batteries not included."
« Last Edit: 09/05/2013 08:17 pm by LaunchedIn68 »
"I want to build a spaceship, go to the moon, salvage all the junk that's up there, bring it back, sell it." - Harry Broderick

Offline OV135

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #82 on: 09/08/2013 12:51 am »
Given the big technical errors I'm not so sure on this film.  Visually it looks good,but plot wise I don't think so. 

IMO it is typical mainstream idiocy.  Under that  tent no one cares if it's technically accurate or what. *rolls eyes* The Hollywood Reporter article is proof of it calling the ISS the Russian Space Station when it isn't.  Of course all of us NASA geeks trying to correct  main stream anything is like talking to a brick wall, nothing gets in unless you have a larger hammer to break it down.

It would be better if they had the SAFRs on,but during the debris collision the  jet packs were damaged by  tiny particles. 

Wouldn't the orbiter be ok? It looks damaged,but tumbles out of the way. Explorer badly damaged, and a rescue shuttle is sent up to get the crew.  I'd send good old Discovery to help.   

One other thing.  How did Sandra get to the ISS so fast?  Hubble and ISS are in completely different orbits.   

This movie reminded me of Homer Hickam's Back to the Moon novel.  (I'd love to see that novel turned into a movie.) 

Offline dcfowler1

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #83 on: 09/08/2013 03:50 am »
I find it humorous that all the know-it-alls in this thread are determined to hate this movie before they even see it. Pretty silly, IMHO.

Keep this in mind, first and foremost: IT'S ONLY A MOVIE. If it makes an honest attempt to dramatize the efforts of astronauts and cosmonauts well, that should be applauded, even if it doesn't get every technical detail right.
« Last Edit: 09/08/2013 03:53 am by dcfowler1 »

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #84 on: 09/08/2013 03:59 am »
I find it humorous that all the know-it-alls in this thread are determined to hate this movie before they even see it. Pretty silly, IMHO.

Keep this in mind, first and foremost: IT'S ONLY A MOVIE. If it makes an honest attempt to dramatize the efforts of astronauts and cosmonauts well, that should be applauded, even if it doesn't get every technical detail right.

I imagine most people on here had to sit through the sheer horror of a space movie know as "Armageddon," so I bet those complaining could probably stomach simple things like wrong inclinations, improper orbital altitudes, etc.

Unfortunately, not every movie can be "Apollo 13."
« Last Edit: 09/08/2013 04:00 am by Orbiter »
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline p51

• Somehwere near pad 39, trying to thumb a ride...
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #85 on: 09/08/2013 05:25 am »
I looked at this way, any compelling space movie is a good space movie. I enjoyed the heck out of "Space Cowboys" and it's one my favorite films, period.
Space movies are, in my mind, like war movies. People who the subject matter really well will often tell you a completely accurate movie would be way too boring to watch and you wouldn't see much anyway if it was filmed like it happens in real life.
"The years forever fashion new dreams when old ones go. God pity a one-dream man."
-Robert Goddard

Offline majormajor42

• Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #86 on: 09/09/2013 12:15 am »
I looked at this way, any compelling space movie is a good space movie. I enjoyed the heck out of "Space Cowboys" and it's one my favorite films, period.
Space movies are, in my mind, like war movies. People who the subject matter really well will often tell you a completely accurate movie would be way too boring to watch and you wouldn't see much anyway if it was filmed like it happens in real life.

I think 2001 is an exception. Yet it is an exceptional movie.
...water is life and it is out there, where we intend to go. I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man or machine on a body such as the Moon and harvest a cup of water for a human to drink or process into fuel for their craft.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #87 on: 09/09/2013 12:18 am »

Yeah, cause HAL was totally believable :)
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline p51

• Somehwere near pad 39, trying to thumb a ride...
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #88 on: 09/09/2013 05:21 am »
Yeah, but there is some serious flaws in the science in that film, too, not to mention many average people consider that to be one of the most boring movies ever made.
"The years forever fashion new dreams when old ones go. God pity a one-dream man."
-Robert Goddard

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #89 on: 09/09/2013 07:02 am »
The reports from people (normal people who don't know the correct bolt size on the helmet seals) who've seen this movie are overwhelmingly positive. I really don't mind if space is contracted or orbits aligned for dramatic reasons. The movie is about the characters, not the hardware. If you want a realistic space hardware movie, go to the IMAX at the science musem :)

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #90 on: 09/13/2013 03:47 pm »
Astronaut gave 'Gravity' advice to Sandra Bullock from space
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-091313a.html

Cady Coleman had just finished watching Sandra Bullock in the "The Blind Side" when the actress reached out to her for advice.

Coleman, a self-described fan, had never met or spoken to Bullock before and so the contact in the spring of 2011 came out of the blue, or more appropriately, the blackness of outer space...
« Last Edit: 09/14/2013 05:45 pm by collectSPACE »

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #91 on: 09/14/2013 12:25 pm »
This is the space equivalent of a film where a character:
1. survives a plane crash, then
2. escapes a forest fire, only to be threatened by a
3. a tornado, followed by
4. an earthquake, and finally
5. a tsunami strikes.
All in one film.

Substitute car chases, gun battles, and fights, and you've just described nearly every action movie.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #92 on: 09/24/2013 06:57 am »
5. a tsunami strikes.
All in one film.

Substitute car chases, gun battles, and fights, and you've just described nearly every action movie.

You have a point, but most of those films have villains that are in active conflict with the hero - thus explaining the continuing battles.

Unless the destruction in this film is caused by some nasty space weapon that continues to hunt down our heroes, I don't think it is a very good analogy. This appears to be a disaster film set in space.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #93 on: 09/24/2013 07:39 am »
5. a tsunami strikes.
All in one film.

You have a point, but most of those films have villains that are in active conflict with the hero - thus explaining the continuing battles.

Unless the destruction in this film is caused by some nasty space weapon that continues to hunt down our heroes, I don't think it is a very good analogy. This appears to be a disaster film set in space.

You don't think entropy is a clever enough villain?

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #94 on: 09/24/2013 10:59 am »
You don't think entropy is a clever enough villain?

It always wins :(

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #95 on: 09/25/2013 06:49 pm »
A very positive review: http://www.chud.com/144239/review-gravity/

According to the review, the film disaster is based on the Kessler syndrome/effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #96 on: 09/27/2013 02:18 pm »
Defining 'Gravity': Sandra Bullock, Alfonso Cuarón talk pull behind film's title (video)
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-092713a.html

In director Alfonso Cuarón's new movie, actress Sandra Bullock stars as an astronaut who suddenly finds herself floating uncontrollably in space. So why title the film "Gravity," the clear opposite of what the majority of people think of when they imagine life off of the planet Earth?

collectSPACE posed that question to Cuarón and Bullock in a recent interview, where the director and actress gave their impressions of the meaning behind "Gravity."

(This is part one of a three-part video interview with the star and director of "Gravity.")

Offline OV135

« Reply #97 on: 09/30/2013 02:10 am »
I've yet to see this movie. 

Pity the orbiter was destroyed and crew died.   The trailers give that as a clear situation without seeing the movie Explorer and her crew die. 

Offline OV135

« Reply #98 on: 09/30/2013 02:48 pm »
A photo WB posted. Orbiter Explorer after the debris strike.  http://www.adverblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Screen-Shot-2013-09-23-at-7.24.52-PM-640x398.png 

It struck me seeing RCC panels 7 and 8 ripped off. Deja vu of Columbia IMO.

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #99 on: 09/30/2013 03:04 pm »
A photo WB posted. Orbiter Explorer after the debris strike.  http://www.adverblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Screen-Shot-2013-09-23-at-7.24.52-PM-640x398.png 

It struck me seeing RCC panels 7 and 8 ripped off. Deja vu of Columbia IMO.
Not the first time an movie orbiter has had it's left wing seriously damaged. The first time that comes to mind is "Daedalus" in Space Cowboys, debris ripping loose in from the left wing during entry, a frightening reminder how all the tiles and blankets came undone as Columbia got deeper into the atmosphere. Mind you this movie was made 3 years prior to STS-107.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography