Author Topic: Falcon Heavy CG model, work in progress  (Read 16951 times)

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651
Re: Falcon Heavy CG model, work in progress
« Reply #20 on: 05/05/2016 08:49 pm »
@WYB1984 its not the polys that slow the game for KSP, its the texture density/normal map.
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline WBY1984

• Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #21 on: 05/05/2016 08:54 pm »
Well, I'll put the textures and model into a Dropbox tomorrow. A .OBJ file should be OK for most 3d software.

Thanks for you comments guys!

Offline Saabstory88

• United States
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 288
« Reply #22 on: 05/06/2016 03:10 am »
I could set up a dropbox for it. Do you know your way round a modelling program like 3dsMax or Blender? I ask because you would probably want to cut out a lot of polygons if you want to put it on say... Kerbal Space Program for example.

I spend about 1/3 of each work day in various forms of CAD. Any old format would work for me, as long as it's not a point cloud :P

Offline WBY1984

« Reply #23 on: 05/09/2016 12:17 pm »
Here's a dropbox link to the model plus textures. People can use it how they wish - I'm not too fussed on crediting it to me, so long as people don't pass it off as their own work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/votfx39iorxzxdb/falcon%209%20zipped.zip?dl=0

Offline WBY1984

« Reply #24 on: 05/12/2016 09:38 am »
A diversion into fantasy land: I'm a big fan of Kerbal Space Program, and I think it will be fun exercise to put something that looks like one of my cargo haulers on top of the Falcon Heavy. It would likely need a five meter Raptor upper stage though, so this is what I mocked up:

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #25 on: 05/12/2016 09:44 am »
A diversion into fantasy land: I'm a big fan of Kerbal Space Program, and I think it will be fun exercise to put something that looks like one of my cargo haulers on top of the Falcon Heavy. It would likely need a five meter Raptor upper stage though, so this is what I mocked up:

Not bad. I like it.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #26 on: 05/12/2016 10:05 am »
It's wonderful work! If anyone gets to manipulate this in Kerbal, I'd like to see someone simulate a 5x core version with all its Saturn V like thrust and possible performance.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline WBY1984

« Reply #27 on: 05/12/2016 02:24 pm »
It's wonderful work! If anyone gets to manipulate this in Kerbal, I'd like to see someone simulate a 5x core version with all its Saturn V like thrust and possible performance.

Thankyou, as I've said in a previous post, people are quite welcome to use the model for KSP modding etc. :)

Offline Saabstory88

• United States
« Reply #28 on: 05/16/2016 08:08 pm »

Thankyou, as I've said in a previous post, people are quite welcome to use the model for KSP modding etc. :)

Well, Unity doesn't cash out when I imported it.... it just might work!

Edit: Minor nitpick, could we get the full-thrust grid fins instead of the v1.1 fins?

Edit: Bigger issue, No second stage engine! Also, not all of the back faces of the interstage and fairing appear to be UV mapped...
« Last Edit: 05/16/2016 08:17 pm by Saabstory88 »

Offline WBY1984

« Reply #29 on: 05/19/2016 11:19 am »

Edit: Minor nitpick, could we get the full-thrust grid fins instead of the v1.1 fins?

Edit: Bigger issue, No second stage engine! Also, not all of the back faces of the interstage and fairing appear to be UV mapped...

Those issues weren't a problem for the render I was aiming to make. At some point I might find the time to make a second stage engine, but I've got other personal projects I want to work on too.

You could make a second stage engine yourself, I don't mind if the model gets adapted for other purposes like modding.
« Last Edit: 05/19/2016 11:21 am by WBY1984 »

Offline Saabstory88

• United States
« Reply #30 on: 05/19/2016 10:33 pm »

Those issues weren't a problem for the render I was aiming to make. At some point I might find the time to make a second stage engine, but I've got other personal projects I want to work on too.

You could make a second stage engine yourself, I don't mind if the model gets adapted for other purposes like modding.

I might take a crack at it. My modelling skills are mostly CAD based, and I fail at a lot of basic 3d operations. Your work is amazing, thanks for making this!

Offline WBY1984

« Reply #31 on: 05/26/2016 09:00 am »
The proportions have been squeezed a little, and I've begun working on detailing:

I've also been figuring out how the legs should deploy from the pods:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/168166461" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p> from mathew galley on Vimeo.</p>
« Last Edit: 05/26/2016 09:02 am by WBY1984 »

Offline WBY1984

« Reply #32 on: 06/07/2016 12:38 pm »
Here's a hybrid of two designs, with clear influences from both the Project Orion fusion rocket and the Valley Forge from silent running; two ships that I loved the look of when I was younger.
« Last Edit: 06/07/2016 04:00 pm by WBY1984 »

Offline WBY1984

« Reply #33 on: 01/26/2017 06:52 pm »
Hopefully Falcon Heavy flies this year, would like to see a center core like this in reality, not cgi :)

Offline tea monster

• Across the Universe
    • My ArtStation Portfolio
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #34 on: 01/31/2017 03:55 pm »
Ooooh, this is nice! Good work!

Online vaporcobra

« Reply #35 on: 11/03/2017 12:23 am »
Here's a dropbox link to the model plus textures. People can use it how they wish - I'm not too fussed on crediting it to me, so long as people don't pass it off as their own work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/votfx39iorxzxdb/falcon%209%20zipped.zip?dl=0

Thank you SO much, that is extraordinarily generous of you. Amazing work :)

Offline WBY1984

« Reply #36 on: 11/04/2017 10:05 am »
You're welcome.  :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston