Author Topic: General ISS Q&A thread  (Read 879670 times)

Online sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
Re: General ISS Q&A thread
« Reply #2220 on: 08/16/2016 07:36 pm »
I'm sorry, did you intend to link to a page that discusses the passage diameter requirements for internally transferring a US EVA EMU between two docked vehicles? (I don't see that on the docking page you linked....)
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #2221 on: 08/16/2016 09:13 pm »
I'm sorry, did you intend to link to a page that discusses the passage diameter requirements for internally transferring a US EVA EMU between two docked vehicles? (I don't see that on the docking page you linked....)
Im sure that a page exists with those details but I cant presently find it, but the easiest way is to take the inside diameter of the docking port tunnel and subtract the EMU width and you get your answer. Detailed APAS/IDA tunnel dimensions can be found here: http://www.internationaldockingstandard.com/download/IDSS_IDD_Revision_D_043015.pdf

Online sdsds

• Seattle
« Reply #2222 on: 08/17/2016 03:44 am »
Let's be pedantically clear, shall we? The docking rings are the metal cylinders that when pressed together form the atmospheric seal that allows a pressurized connection between two docked vehicles. For the IDA and lots of other standards, the inner diameter of those rings is specified to be 800mm. (Sure, the spec gives you a tiny bit of leeway -- after all none of us are perfect! ;) )

Robotbeat correctly points out that the APAS docking rings also have 800mm inner diameters. Yet he and I both think ISS EMU hardware was brought through those rings from Shuttle to ISS. For the NASA EMU HUT is that truly possible, or are we mis-remembering that part of ISS history? Exact clearances required for transferring a NASA HUT are not easy to find....

(BTW an Orlan "obviously" fits through a 800mm docking connection! This is of interest in the context of a NASA BLEO habitat because one would want to know if the diameters of the resupply vehicle connections need to be larger than what IDA provides.)

Hope that clarifies the question!
« Last Edit: 08/17/2016 03:45 am by sdsds »
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #2223 on: 08/17/2016 05:10 am »
Let's be pedantically clear, shall we? The docking rings are the metal cylinders that when pressed together form the atmospheric seal that allows a pressurized connection between two docked vehicles. For the IDA and lots of other standards, the inner diameter of those rings is specified to be 800mm. (Sure, the spec gives you a tiny bit of leeway -- after all none of us are perfect! ;) )

Robotbeat correctly points out that the APAS docking rings also have 800mm inner diameters. Yet he and I both think ISS EMU hardware was brought through those rings from Shuttle to ISS. For the NASA EMU HUT is that truly possible, or are we mis-remembering that part of ISS history? Exact clearances required for transferring a NASA HUT are not easy to find....

(BTW an Orlan "obviously" fits through a 800mm docking connection! This is of interest in the context of a NASA BLEO habitat because one would want to know if the diameters of the resupply vehicle connections need to be larger than what IDA provides.)

Hope that clarifies the question!
The IDSS document (http://www.internationaldockingstandard.com/download/IDSS_IDD_Revision_D_043015.pdf) gives the external docking tunnel diameter as 1255mm and the nominal crew transfer tunnel internal diameter is 800mm during mated ops (Petals in stowed config) and 645mm during docking ops (Petals in docking config). Removal of the soft capture system results in a hybrid version of APAS-95/IDSS called in Russian SSPA-GM with a crew transfer tunnel internal diameter of 1200mm. This config will be used on MLM-U docking ports after installed docking adapters are removed via departing Progress, UM docking ports after installed docking adapters are removed via departing Progress, and other new generation Russian modules and transport spacecraft.

Older documentation: http://research.jsc.nasa.gov/BiennialResearchReport/2011/248-2011-Biennial.pdf

« Last Edit: 08/17/2016 05:22 am by russianhalo117 »

Online sdsds

• Seattle
« Reply #2224 on: 08/17/2016 06:54 am »
Thanks -- I now see your point! From the figure attached, the hard capture mating surfaces for the USOS IDA ports will clearly have internal diameters greater than the 1250mm SCS outer diameter. The Russian SSPA-GM sounds quite clever. Those are for semi-permanent connections, though? For visiting USOS vehicles it doesn't seem likely the SCS hardware would ever be removed. (But for connecting modules of a hypothetical deep space habitat, maybe they could be.)

Even with this, it still doesn't seem certain a resupply vehicle visiting a DSH that supported only IDA docking could provide all necessary replacement hardware for a (current NASA) EMU.

(P.S. to add: the diameter of the CBM transfer passage is 50 inches, or 1270 mm.)
« Last Edit: 08/17/2016 07:01 am by sdsds »
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #2225 on: 08/21/2016 12:16 am »
EMUs were routinely transferred from Shuttle to ISS via the PMA hatchway.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline mobile1

• Ohio
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2226 on: 08/22/2016 12:30 am »
How many docking ports does the ISS have?  And where are they located?

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #2227 on: 08/22/2016 01:06 am »

4 probe and drogue on the Russian side. 1 APAS-95 on pma-3, and 1 IDA on PMA-3
That should be PMA-2, not PMA-3.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline mobile1

• Ohio
« Reply #2228 on: 08/22/2016 01:15 am »
Where are they on this drawing?

See the attachment.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #2229 on: 08/22/2016 01:25 am »
Probe & Drogue, Russian Segment:
-Service Module (SM) Aft
-DC-1 Nadir
-MRM-2 Zenith
-MRM-1 Nadir

NDS/SIMAC, US Segment:
-PMA-2 at Node 2 Forward
-PMA-3 at Node 2 Zenith (future - awaiting relocation)

CBM, US Segment (berthing only - not docking):
-Node 2 Nadir
-Node 1 Nadir
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline mobile1

• Ohio
« Reply #2230 on: 08/22/2016 01:43 am »
This does not show where they are located.

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #2231 on: 08/22/2016 02:02 am »
This does not show where they are located.
I feel like I'm doing your class work. There's an excellent diagram on Wikipedia showing which modules are where.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #2232 on: 08/22/2016 04:17 am »
Where are they on this drawing?

See the attachment.
Your drawing isn't accurate. There's modules where there shouldn't be.
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #2233 on: 08/22/2016 06:27 am »
Do you mean how many *free* docking ports or how many *free and occupied* docking ports?

For example at launch the Zarya module has two longitudinal docking ports, but one is occupied by the Unity module and the other by the Zvezda module.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #2234 on: 12/06/2016 12:15 am »
It seems to me that whenever I see pictures or video in the station there is almost always (at least to my somewhat borderline OCD eyes) a high level of clutter on nearly every surface. Is all that stuff in active, regular use? Or does it accumulate and and gets addressed/put away/circle filed when the astros have time? Is there a protocol for managing all that stuff?

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 717
  • Likes Given: 611
« Reply #2235 on: 12/09/2016 05:27 pm »
Several questions about the situation with lost Progress:

Is it necessary to compensate the lost Progress with an extra flight of Progress in 2017?

As I see this, there are two aspects to this question:
1. Are there any rules (like contract clauses) on such matter?
The second aspect is more important -
2. For how long one Proton Progress can provide re-boost to ISS? - approximately of course :)

Thanks in advance.

Edit: corrected typo.
« Last Edit: 12/09/2016 09:31 pm by smoliarm »

Offline Darren_Hensley

• System Software Engineer, MCTP, NGC, Ft Leavenworth Ks
  • Captian(ret) USS Pabilli, Timefleet, UFP-TIC
  • Alamogordo NM
    • H-10-K Enterprises
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2236 on: 12/09/2016 08:52 pm »
It seems to me that whenever I see pictures or video in the station there is almost always (at least to my somewhat borderline OCD eyes) a high level of clutter on nearly every surface. Is all that stuff in active, regular use? Or does it accumulate and and gets addressed/put away/circle filed when the astros have time? Is there a protocol for managing all that stuff?

I have not found any real protocol for this. It bothers the hell out of me as well.
I'm developing a protocol for the H-10-K GWS house keeping crew to perform routine "return to storage" tasks but nothing is cast in stone so far. The difficulty seems to be getting the time built into the task or experiment to perform end of shift cleanup tasks much like what is done in the ground facilities. CTK Tool and parts accountability is vital for FOD prevention.

It looks like they clean up only when things seem to get out of hand, or when flight directs them to do so.
BSNCM Devry, MAITM Webster, MSSS & MSAP SFA
H-10-K Enterprises Gateway Station

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #2237 on: 01/14/2017 02:06 am »
Not sure where to put this.  I did several searches to see if it was already here and couldn't find it.

This really helped me to understand orientation on ISS.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #2238 on: 01/14/2017 02:34 am »

I have not found any real protocol for this. It bothers the hell out of me as well.
I'm developing a protocol for the H-10-K GWS house keeping crew to perform routine "return to storage" tasks but nothing is cast in stone so far. The difficulty seems to be getting the time built into the task or experiment to perform end of shift cleanup tasks much like what is done in the ground facilities. CTK Tool and parts accountability is vital for FOD prevention.

It looks like they clean up only when things seem to get out of hand, or when flight directs them to do so.

There is a protocol.  There is no desks or workbenches in a one g orientation and so items have to place on the racks.  What would a workbench would look like if you placed it against a wall?

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #2239 on: 01/20/2017 08:22 pm »
Time is allocated to removing things from storage and to put them back (if not at the task time on the weekend).  Things that are no longer used are generally removed or trashed.  But it might take a little bit of time to trash something (for example, an old payload part - the scientists and flight controllers have to research and make sure it isn't needed in the future or be useful and then there is paperwork and then finding a vehicle...).  Things are left out if likely need/want access in the future.    So not really any old/abandoned equipment just laying around out.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography