Author Topic: Movie: Gravity - Contains some small/potential spoilers  (Read 245528 times)

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Movie: Gravity
« Reply #60 on: 07/26/2013 07:13 pm »
the MMU

If you listen space-to-ground audio track on the movie's official website, you hear Kowalsky (Clooney) give a report to Houston about his test of a new prototype "jetpack." So while the design is clearly based on the MMU of the 1980s, the storyline suggests this is the first time this particular modern unit has been flown.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #61 on: 08/09/2013 06:28 pm »
Anyone know when Gravity is due out in the UK?
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Andy USA

• Lead Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #62 on: 08/09/2013 07:01 pm »
Let's try and keep the pointless comments to a minimum please. Thread trimmed.

(Blimey Andy, over moderation a bit! ;) - Chris)
« Last Edit: 08/09/2013 07:21 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline bguillot

• Seattle WA USA
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #63 on: 08/10/2013 03:28 pm »
Skylon, nice attempt at predicting the plot and timeline.  I would add one step:

0) Air Force shuts down Space Fence

Offline shuttlelegs

• Regular
  • Gladstone Qld Australia
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #64 on: 08/25/2013 10:50 am »
it appears to me that they may get rescued by the Chinese . The last sense of the trailer where the ISS breaks up she is grabbing for what appears to me to be a  Shenzhou Orbital Module. Have to wait for the movie.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #65 on: 08/25/2013 02:45 pm »
Oh and that's a good reminder that when people do go and see this, we should have a separate discussion thread, titled "Spoilers".
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #66 on: 08/25/2013 03:28 pm »
it appears to me that they may get rescued by the Chinese . The last sense of the trailer where the ISS breaks up she is grabbing for what appears to me to be a  Shenzhou Orbital Module. Have to wait for the movie.

Kinda sounds like the scene in Marooned where a Soviet vehicle tried to make contact with the stranded crew.

As for rescue I'd see them being eventually rescued by a commercial vehicle since everyone knows about them by now.
Also would be closer to the story of Marooned which I suspect this is probably loosely based on.

If it's fairly realistic they'd only have 8 or less hours to figure a way to rescue them.

« Last Edit: 08/25/2013 03:34 pm by Patchouli »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #67 on: 08/26/2013 03:34 pm »

The 18th October.

Offline Oli

• Liked: 605
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #68 on: 08/28/2013 12:54 pm »

Gravity opened the Venice film festival today and got rave reviews.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/28/gravity-reviews-venice-film-festival_n_3828863.html

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #69 on: 08/28/2013 08:32 pm »

Gravity opened the Venice film festival today and got rave reviews.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/28/gravity-reviews-venice-film-festival_n_3828863.html

Thought his Children of Men was extremely good so very much looking forward to this.

Offline John Charles

• Houston (Clear Lake), Texas, USA
    • AstroCryptoTriviology
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #70 on: 08/28/2013 10:28 pm »
[snips] Edit: One of my critiques from the first trailer was why the heck wouldn't Bullock have a SAFER pack, but I was looking at the STS-125 EVA photos and noticed no SAFER's were used. Why was this? Worry the SAFER jets propellant could damage HST, or that an EVA that was entirely based in the shuttle payload bay was seen as low-risk enough that SAFER wasn't needed.

No answer yet? Well, then, if I recall correctly, SAFER was not needed on Shuttle EVAs not associated with ISS because Shuttle could maneuver to retrieve a wayward astronaut, whereas ISS could not. Note that SAFERS were used on Shuttle EVAs at ISS because even a Shuttle docked to ISS could not undock quickly enough to give chase.

John Charles
Houston, Texas
John Charles
Houston, Texas

Offline Oli

• Liked: 605
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #71 on: 08/28/2013 11:01 pm »
Quote from: Star One
Thought his Children of Men was extremely good so very much looking forward to this.

Yeah I liked that one too, despite the somewhat silly story (imo).

I can also recommend Y Tu Mamá También from him ;).

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #72 on: 08/28/2013 11:24 pm »

The 18th October.

It's Nov 8th now.

A schedule slip, how's that for authentic?

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #73 on: 08/29/2013 01:14 pm »

This image has appeared online in the last 24 hours and gives some more plot clues. Bullock is wearing the Russian Sokol style suit we've seen in the exterior shots, although the helmet set up and colour are not totally authentic.

She appears to be in a Soyuz decent module, although what seems to be a hatch, with a window in it, has been added. Maybe, this is theatrical license, so she/they can access, or exit, the Soyuz after the catastrophic EVA incident?

One of the reviews also mentions that she cannot communicate with her Mission Controllers, and the only voice she can hear is Chinese, so that tends to suggest the Shenzhou/Chinese involvement might be correct! 

« Last Edit: 08/29/2013 02:24 pm by tonyq »

Offline mjp25

• Liked: 2
« Reply #74 on: 09/01/2013 03:37 pm »
Dream sequence anyone? :-) How about this - In some trailers they appear to be servicing Hubble, and in other, at ISS. Think of the dream sequence in Apollo 13 where Marilyn Lovell dreams of Jim being sucked out when the hatch opens. Much of the audience probably thought that was the disaster at that point. I can imagine that Bullock's character, has a dream about the Hubble servicing mission going wrong. Then wakes up on ISS and some time later, the "real" disaster happens. Speculation of course, but would solve the totally different orbit issue.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #75 on: 09/01/2013 04:43 pm »
Although Jeb, Bill and Bob may be tooling around in a more scientifically accurate setting, I'll go see this anyway on a friday night after the brain has shut off. Thats why they make them.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8803
  • Likes Given: 7821
« Reply #76 on: 09/01/2013 06:24 pm »
Here are some addition details provided in the following two articles:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/gravity/review/615139

Before Cuaron even resorts to his first cut, the peril jacks way up with word of approaching space debris, the result of a chain reaction from the Russians having shot down one of their own satellites.

Urgently looking for a safe haven, Kowalsky spots a Russian space station in the distance which might sustain them until a rescue ship can be sent up. Their oxygen supply is running low and Stone isn't convinced they can make it. Surprises await on the Russian craft and yet again on another space vessel,

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/telluride-gravity-stars-bullock-clooney-618850
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Ash41D

• Longview, TX
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #77 on: 09/01/2013 07:22 pm »
You lost me at Sandra Bullock.

Hahahahahahahaha!
"I want to do everything there is to be done..."
   - Judy Resnik

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #78 on: 09/05/2013 05:13 am »
New trailer is up. Latter part has some bits in short cuts that give some hints to the plot if you freeze-frame it a bit...

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #79 on: 09/05/2013 07:39 pm »
This is the space equivalent of a film where a character:
1. survives a plane crash, then
2. escapes a forest fire, only to be threatened by a
3. a tornado, followed by
4. an earthquake, and finally
5. a tsunami strikes.