Author Topic: General ISS Q&A thread  (Read 879565 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: General ISS Q&A thread
« Reply #640 on: 06/05/2008 01:10 pm »
This is all covered in the shutte AND the ISS Q&A threads

Offline TyMoore

• Veteran
  • Eureka, CA, USA
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #641 on: 06/05/2008 02:20 pm »
What is the alloy used in the construction of the main ISS laboratory modules? I remember reading somewhere that Boeing had to switch to a copper-based alloy because of 'quality of weld' issues, but I can't seem to find the specifics on the alloy used.

Offline Speedracer

• Veteran
  • Knoxville, TN
    • The "Hot Spicy Mustard" files
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #642 on: 06/05/2008 06:34 pm »
Was it pressurized before it was attached to ISS?

How would they equalize the pressure before hatch opening?

Along the same lines, will logistics module be de-pressurized/re-pressurized when it's moved to Kibo?
“Discovery is seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”
-Albert Szent-Gyorgi

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #643 on: 06/05/2008 06:36 pm »
The modules all are pressurized and retain their gases during movement. 

Offline brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #644 on: 06/06/2008 02:25 am »
Is there a list of all of the PDGFs on the ISS?

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #645 on: 06/06/2008 05:40 pm »
Why did the racks have to be relocated from the JLM to the main lab, before the JLM itself was moved to the permanent location?

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #646 on: 06/06/2008 06:08 pm »
In this image of the 3 June 2008 EVA, one of the "petals" on the Harmony module is open, but the other three are still closed. Does anyone know why? Were they doing some work on the port or something?

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-124/html/iss017e008746.html

Offline martin_nv

• Vancouver, Canada
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #647 on: 06/06/2008 09:22 pm »
It appears that they are covering the empty rack spaces in Kibo with a fabric cover of some sort. It certainly does make the module look smaller! Is this for visual purposes, ventilation or so they don't get stuck floating in the middle?
Thanks.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #648 on: 06/06/2008 09:58 pm »
Why did the racks have to be relocated from the JLM to the main lab, before the JLM itself was moved to the permanent location?

Easier to maneuver the SSRMS with a lower load.
JRF

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #649 on: 06/06/2008 10:56 pm »
It appears that they are covering the empty rack spaces in Kibo with a fabric cover of some sort. It certainly does make the module look smaller! Is this for visual purposes, ventilation or so they don't get stuck floating in the middle?
Thanks.

My guess would be to protect the rack connectors from damage/contamination.  If memory serves there are covers in Destiny as well as Columbus.  With STS-126 more racks should be brought up.

Offline maxx

« Reply #650 on: 06/07/2008 01:56 pm »

Weight doesn't seems to be the issue here, the SSRMS is able to move the JEM...
Some (most?) of the critical racks were launched inside JLM to reduce the JEM's weight.

If memory serves me well, there was a rack required to activate a power channel (B?) and the robotic console needed for today's activity (STS-124 FD8) inside the logistic's module... Also if there is a problem with the logistic's module heaters, the equipment will be protected from condensation (IIRC, PAO mentioned condensation as a reason to not open it now).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Offline eeergo

« Reply #651 on: 06/07/2008 02:08 pm »
In this image of the 3 June 2008 EVA, one of the "petals" on the Harmony module is open, but the other three are still closed. Does anyone know why? Were they doing some work on the port or something?

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-124/html/iss017e008746.html

It had to do with EVA 1's tasks: they were inspecting the CBM to verify it's ready for Donatello in STS-126, and I suspect they're still checking the lost bolt from 120 isn't lurking in some corner waiting to jam the mechanism. Perhaps that petal was the only one they hadn't properly looked under, or still held some suspicions.
-DaviD-

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #652 on: 06/07/2008 03:11 pm »

It had to do with EVA 1's tasks: they were inspecting the CBM to verify it's ready for Donatello in STS-126, and I suspect they're still checking the lost bolt from 120 isn't lurking in some corner waiting to jam the mechanism. Perhaps that petal was the only one they hadn't properly looked under, or still held some suspicions.

Thanks.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #653 on: 06/07/2008 03:36 pm »

Of course. I never said it was an "issue". But with the JLM they had a *choice*. They could either offload the racks first, then relocate, or relocate then offload. Given the choice, they offloaded first.
JRF

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #654 on: 06/07/2008 03:51 pm »

It is not Donatello for STS-126, it is Leonardo.  Donatello is going up on STS-128.

Offline amaturespacecase

• Orlando, FL
« Reply #655 on: 06/07/2008 04:47 pm »
I was wondering about the power grid on the ISS and whether or not the solar panels on the Soyuz/Progress spacecrafts contribute power to it. Do their solar panels provide power to the ISS grid or do they just provide power for themselves?

Btw, this website has some of the most brilliant people on it!
NASA's FY 2009 budget request- Ok bend over!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #656 on: 06/07/2008 05:03 pm »
I was wondering about the power grid on the ISS and whether or not the solar panels on the Soyuz/Progress spacecrafts contribute power to it. Do their solar panels provide power to the ISS grid or do they just provide power for themselves?

Btw, this website has some of the most brilliant people on it!

Just for the Soyuz I believe

Offline catfry

• Liked: 6
« Reply #657 on: 06/07/2008 05:10 pm »
Are the Kibo windows the largest horizontally pointing windows on ISS?

EDIT: Prior to Cupola I mean.
« Last Edit: 06/07/2008 05:11 pm by catfry »

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #658 on: 06/07/2008 11:21 pm »

Of course. I never said it was an "issue". But with the JLM they had a *choice*. They could either offload the racks first, then relocate, or relocate then offload. Given the choice, they offloaded first.

I just wondered why maneuver them out of the JLM, through Harmony and into Kibo as opposed to waiting and moving them straight out of the JLM into Kibo.

Offline maxx

« Reply #659 on: 06/07/2008 11:47 pm »

Oops... I should have given more weight to the rest of my reply, dropped that SSRMS part completely and stressed the fact that "critical" racks were inside the JLM.

I just wondered why maneuver them out of the JLM, through Harmony and into Kibo as opposed to waiting and moving them straight out of the JLM into Kibo.

From what I understand, the JLM "must" have been unloaded in order to activate the main Kibo laboratory and proceed with today's activities, at least it's the impression I got. I'm sure they needed the robotic console to unlatch the Japanese RMS before tomorrow's EVA (STS-124 FD9) and remove the last launch cover on one of Kibo's window.

Now that JLM is offloaded and Kibo is activated, it has become a low priority item.
In the Mission Status Briefing yesterday, Annette Hasbrook, ISS Flight Director reacting on a question on why to wait 'till Monday before opening JLM, said: "[...] based on the priority of tasks there's no driving need to go back in there, we tried to pull everything out of it, that we thought we would need, and so, it's not a high priority to get it done prior to the EVA. But it's good to open it up because the baseline configuration for on-orbit operation is to leave that hatch open, so we do want have it open [...] it gonna be a great storage place for the crew in the short term until people think up some other ideas how to use it [...]".

I'm a bit puzzled by that... If it's now a low priority item, why do they want to move it while the shuttle is docked? Crew training?

Again sorry if I haven't made my previous reply clearer. I hope I'm not too pretentious or overconfident for a newbie ;)
« Last Edit: 06/07/2008 11:49 pm by maxx »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography