Author Topic: MISSION FAILURE: Progress M-27M launch – Soyuz-2-1A - April 28, 2015  (Read 497181 times)

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

I wonder if this a bit of shades of Gemini VIII here? Stuck thruster? That could explain the high rotational rate and why it was only in one axis.

What was Gemini VIII's angular velocity at its worst?
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Gerκs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1969
  • Likes Given: 1156
I wonder if this a bit of shades of Gemini VIII here? Stuck thruster? That could explain the high rotational rate and why it was only in one axis.

Or it can be related with the previously reported problems with the Blok-I.

Offline Artyom.

• Liked: 1416
  • Likes Given: 135

Offline satwatcher

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 100
Ground track map as shown on NASA TV shows it late with respect to the 123 to 127km perigee orbits published by space-track, suggesting it did boost its orbit.
... suggesting that these orbits were erroneous.
That is probably the most likely explanation.

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65

What was Gemini VIII's angular velocity at its worst?
From what I can find, at least 1 revolution per second or 60 RPM.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
This seems new on M-27M, anybody ?

Speculation: did it make contact during sep. ? (therefor inducing a spin ?)

EDIT:
should have been more clear, it was a two part question, first anybody know what that new antenna (?) it is not on 26M, and second, contact anywhere in general during sep, or upper stage issue (BBQ roll etc.)
« Last Edit: 04/28/2015 12:36 pm by Jester »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1139
Per CAPCOM to ISS.  Not planning for a Progress docking on Thursday.  Waiting for more info from Moscow.  Terry asked to call Houston on the IP phone.
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65

I don't see how it could seeing as it's mounted on the front while the stage is on the aft.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
a picture doesn't do this justice!

wow, wild spin!

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157

I don't see how it could seeing as it's mounted on the front while the stage is on the aft.

should have been more clear, it was a two part question, first anybody know what that new antenna (?) is, its not on 26M, and second, contact anywhere in general during sep, or upper stage issue (BBQ roll etc.)

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
They have ceased planning for a Thursday docking

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
Interesting from the NASA TV update.  Houston stopped planning for a Thursday docking and informed Moscow of the same...
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
The next step by the Russian team is still under discussion

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
Another update via NASA TV will be at the top of the hour, 8am Central, 9am Eastern

Offline davey142

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 671
NASA giving a more in-depth analysis.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2015/04/28/progress-cargo-craft-to-dock-with-space-station-thursday/

UPDATE (8:15 a.m. EDT): Russian flight controllers are continuing to troubleshoot issues with the ISS Progress 59 cargo craft. The spacecraft made another pass over Russian ground stations and continued to experience telemetry problems regarding the deployment of navigational antennas and the pressurization of the manifolds in the propulsion system. Flight controllers also confirmed that the vehicle had entered into a slow spin and have issued commands to attempt to control it.
As Progress passed over Russian ground stations, the Russian flight control team issued commands through the telemetry system onboard the spacecraft in an attempt to receive confirmation that navigation and rendezvous systems had deployed. But, due to sporadic telemetry  from Progress 59, inconclusive data, and trouble uplinking commands to the spacecraft, controllers were unable to confirm the status of the systems.

Offline mtakala24

Interesting from the NASA TV update.  Houston stopped planning for a Thursday docking and informed Moscow of the same...

Might this be because the Progress has now spent too much time on the lower orbit and has gotten too close in regard to ISS to get to a docking on Thursday? Remember that lower orbit will "catch" a higher orbiting object. I remember a rule of thumb of x altitude difference will get a 10x distance in the track.

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 258
  • Likes Given: 0

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
NASA Drama time  :D
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18

Might this be because the Progress has now spent too much time on the lower orbit and has gotten too close in regard to ISS to get to a docking on Thursday? Remember that lower orbit will "catch" a higher orbiting object. I remember a rule of thumb of x altitude difference will get a 10x distance in the track.

My point was that Houston decided the US Segment would not participate in any Progress related activities on Thursday and did not wait to hear from Moscow what the Russian plan was.  There was none of the usual discussion and cooperation between the two control centers.
« Last Edit: 04/28/2015 01:05 pm by Targeteer »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography